Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

Looking for campground in Kentucky

We will be traveling to the Louisville / Shelbyville kentucky area in mid September. Any suggestions for a large rig full hookup campground?
Nana Suey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

My wife and I are brand new to camping with a travel trailer but you might check out Taylorsville Lake State Park. It is not too far from the area that you are interested in. We have not camped there, have fished and visted the park a few times, so I can't comment specifically on the campgrounds but the park itself is nice.
shfrueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Done with this

From what direction are you traveling?

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfrueh View Post
My wife and I are brand new to camping with a travel trailer but you might check out Taylorsville Lake State Park. It is not too far from the area that you are interested in. We have not camped there, have fished and visted the park a few times, so I can't comment specifically on the campgrounds but the park itself is nice.
I have stayed at Taylorsville Lake SP several times and really like the park. The sites are newer, level and large. It is a little drive to Louisville, but not too far. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. Book early as there aren't a ton of sites. Also, know that they cater to horse back riders, but they have their own section. I am pretty sure that it is NOT full hook-ups. There might be a few spots with it but I've never reserved one with sewer hook up and the dump station is hoping on Sunday mornings.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

There is a KOA in Shepherdsville just south of Louisville on I-65 exit 117. I have been staying here while working, the place is nice if you have kids plenty for them to do.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

A few years age we camped at the Horse Farm in Lexington (?) and thought it was clean and nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

I recently stayed at Taylorsville Lake Campground. The sites are nice but being so new, there is not a lot of shade. Also access to the lake seemed a little limited, however there is a decent boat ramp. I kind of felt the campground was built primary for boaters and horse owners. Not so much for family weekend campers. So far I like Cave Run Lake, Cumberland Falls SP and the Grove on Laurel Lake.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #8

X2 on Kentucky Horse Park if it isn't too far from where you need to be. Very nice.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Hey whitmw, check out the newer campground Laurel Lake Resort and Campground. Privately owned and operated. Full hookups and cable tv available. Hiking, fishing, activities and close to the lake. Just off Bee Creek Rd two miles past the turn to Grove. Ask for Johnny, tell him Kevin from Lexington sent ya! Real nice guy.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

If you are coming from Minnesota, you might want to try staying in Southern Indiana instead. Charlestown State Park is right on the Ohio River, and part of the Metro Louisville area. Shelbyville is less than a hour away.
There are many sites at Charlestown State Park that have full hook ups...one of the few Indiana State Parks to offer this.
We were just at Taylorsville Lake this past weekend. The sites have Electric and Water, but not Sewer. Some of the Charlestown Site offer all three.
Both Campgrounds offer the same amount of shade since they were established about the same time.
Both offer nice level sites. Charlestown has asphalt and Taylorsville has finely crushed gravel.
With Charlestown, you will be very close to many of the Louisville attractions...Derby Museum, Louisville Slugger Bat Factory and Museum, and there is a new walking bridge connecting Indiana and Kentucky. At the base of the IN side of the Walking Bridge you can visit Schimmph's Confectionery Shoppe. They make their own cinnamon red hots there everyday and have candy making demos as well.
Charlestown is also very close to Cunningham Camper RV. This might be helpful if you need to pick up some supplies.
McGeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg