Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #21

How about a trip around Lake Michigan with stops in:
  • Door County
  • Mackinac island (Lunch at Grand Hotel)
  • Drive across Mackinac Bridge
  • Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie
  • Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
How about a trip around Lake Michigan with stops in:
  • Door County
  • Mackinac island (Lunch at Grand Hotel)
  • Drive across Mackinac Bridge
  • Soo Locks, Sault Ste. Marie
  • Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
X2 on that. Michigan is a great outdoors state both the upper and lower peninsulas. Go down the West side of the Lower Peninsula for beautiful beaches and parks.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #23

Print a map of the mid west, pin it to a wall, close your eyes and throw a dart. Almost anywhere it lands will be good in the summer.......LOL

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

All depends on what you're looking for. I need to throw something 'fun' into the mix to distract the kids from all the educational, historical, whatever places I try to take them so we're taking the kids here:

https://www.miadventure.com/

That same trip I want to see about stopping by Holland and some of the state parks to take in the beaches on Lake Michigan.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #25

What parts of Iowa and Wisconsin are all of you from? I moved to Iowa from Illinois last year and am up by Dubuque. Just curious as to where all the local Iowa or Wisconsin people like to camp. We have a 3yr old and one on the way so we like to try and keep it kid friendly.

Great to see a lot of Iowans on the board

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
What parts of Iowa and Wisconsin are all of you from? I moved to Iowa from Illinois last year and am up by Dubuque. Just curious as to where all the local Iowa or Wisconsin people like to camp. We have a 3yr old and one on the way so we like to try and keep it kid friendly.

Hour south and a little west of you on hiway 30.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
We also go to Branson frequently. We usually stay at the Wilderness Campground (SDC) but also have stayed at the Compton across the street (if you are tent camping or have a smaller trailer, Compton is better). There is so much to do there and yes it's a little bit of a tourist trap but I don't care. I feel at home down there. I'm not sure where in Iowa you are but it takes me about 7 or 8 hours to get there (depending on what I'm driving).
Compton has closed down
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Compton has closed down
I know you can't trust everything you read on the internet but it appears they are under new ownership now and back in business.

https://www.facebook.com/ComptonRidg...ound?ref=br_tf

I sure hope so!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I know you can't trust everything you read on the internet but it appears they are under new ownership now and back in business.

https://www.facebook.com/ComptonRidg...ound?ref=br_tf

I sure hope so!
I just called the number given on the facebook page. Yes they are open and taking reservations.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #30

Yes, Compton Ridge reopened under new ownership and new management. The campground is now owned by Ocean Canyon Properties.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #31

If you venture up to the North Shore on MN, you'll enjoy a less buggy, less HOT lifestyle than Branson. You can also take a day trip or, better, an overnight trip to one of the least visited National Parks, Isle Royale National Park. It's a personal favorite.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #32

Branson would not be high on my list. I think it was made for old timers. You either like it or hate it. Lots of shows performed by has beens and never weres. Not my cup of tea...Wisconsin Dells was made for kids. That would be my choice if we had kids. Bring money...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Branson would not be high on my list. I think it was made for old timers. You either like it or hate it. Lots of shows performed by has beens and never weres. Not my cup of tea...Wisconsin Dells was made for kids. That would be my choice if we had kids. Bring money...
Ha ha ha, you’re joking right? I rarely see a lot of “old timers” riding the various go-cart tracks and bumper boats, or jumping on the rides at Silver Dollar City or splashing around at the 13 acre water park called White Water. The Dixie Stampede is perfect for all ages, what kid doesn’t like to eat a meal with his/her hands. Ride the Ducks is popular with kids and they usually get a chance to drive the Duck when it’s in the water. Fishing in Tablerock Lake or Taneycomo Lake is great for all ages too. There are also a number of ziplines in the area and a “wet your pants” zipline from the top of Inspiration Tower. I know there are some magic shows and pet shows that are geared toward the kids too. Branson is just for “old timers,” hardly.

I will admit though, from early fall to late winter Branson is geared more toward the older crowd since all the kids are in school.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #34

It all depends on which type of vacation is right for your family. When we travel/camp we prefer nature over tourist traps.

I will second Door County in Wisconsin as they have a good mix of nature/tourist traps.

In addition, the western side of the upper peninsula is absolutely beautiful and so much to do for a family. Our kids loved exploring all of the waterfalls and rushing water of the Black River.

Also, you cannot beat the beaches on Lake Michigan. A big bonus is no salt and shark free!

Whatever you choose, will be a wonderful family vacation.
dleitermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #35

Will the ice sheets on the Great Lakes be melted a little to go swimming this summer(it just snowed here again in MidMo on Tuesday)....?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Ha ha ha, you’re joking right? I rarely see a lot of “old timers” riding the various go-cart tracks and bumper boats, or jumping on the rides at Silver Dollar City or splashing around at the 13 acre water park called White Water. The Dixie Stampede is perfect for all ages, what kid doesn’t like to eat a meal with his/her hands. Ride the Ducks is popular with kids and they usually get a chance to drive the Duck when it’s in the water. Fishing in Tablerock Lake or Taneycomo Lake is great for all ages too. There are also a number of ziplines in the area and a “wet your pants” zipline from the top of Inspiration Tower. I know there are some magic shows and pet shows that are geared toward the kids too. Branson is just for “old timers,” hardly.

I will admit though, from early fall to late winter Branson is geared more toward the older crowd since all the kids are in school.
Couldn't agree more! I think if you can catch Yakov it is worth it too. They also have a couple caves worth visiting once. On a really hot day there is an indoor water park at the hotel (get a day pass). I also enjoy riding the bike on all the curvy roads and even down into Arkansas. There are plenty of places to camp too.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post

We are an hour west and a bit north of hwy 20 from you. We do most of our weekend trips throughout NE Iowa, in the hills and trout fishing country. We did enjoy a weekend at Walnut Acres in Monticello last year, which would b a short drive for you.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Will the ice sheets on the Great Lakes be melted a little to go swimming this summer(it just snowed here again in MidMo on Tuesday)....?
you don't swim in the lakes unless you like 50 degree water, superior is so cold you get ring around your ankles when you walk in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
When do u usually go?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
we stay in munising, and this year we are going back and staying at the locks, but mostly garden, and up in copper or eagle harbor, stayed at the state campground in the porkies 2 years ago just at the bottom of the road to see the lake of the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
X2 on the Pictured Rocks! If you don't do the kayak thing, take the Pictured Rocks boat tour--You MUST do the sunset trip. The rocks burn red and orange with the setting sun all set to a Lake Superior background! There's also the Shipwreck glass bottom boat tour in the same city (Munising). We stayed at the Munising Travel Park with all the kids. It's a city owned park, well kept, beautiful views, fun beach. We backed right up to Lake Superior! The U.P. has tons of great things to do. It's my vote!
reservations already paid for this summer at the campground, we always stay their, site on the water about 20feet from the back of the coach

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
All depends on what you're looking for. I need to throw something 'fun' into the mix to distract the kids from all the educational, historical, whatever places I try to take them so we're taking the kids here:

https://www.miadventure.com/

That same trip I want to see about stopping by Holland and some of the state parks to take in the beaches on Lake Michigan.
Gerat advise. Michigan adventure is owned by the same company has Cedar Point. It is a very nice amusement park in a very nice part of Michigan. There would be something to do for the entire family. this would be a musT do family vacation either this year or another year while the children are still young.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Gerat advise. Michigan adventure is owned by the same company has Cedar Point. It is a very nice amusement park in a very nice part of Michigan. There would be something to do for the entire family. this would be a musT do family vacation either this year or another year while the children are still young.
Ah, did not know that.

I just picked because I was looking for KOAs near Holland (to used the KOA card) and happened across the Muskegon KOA which showed a picture of Snoopy on it's website at a place called "Michigan's Adventure". Being a Snoopy fan, I dug into a little more and figured it'd be a good place to test out the kid's tolerances for amusement parks before we took them to Disney.

They seemed to have good reviews on Yelp, etc... that though it was smaller, it was a better bang for your buck than Cedar Point. Besides, the other thing I liked was that it seemed to have more than just roller coasters. Being Acrophobically Challanged, I'm not big on amusement parks with nothing to do other than coasters.

Tags
cat