Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Participated in several when I worked for IH on the Axial Flow Combine developing the rotor. Can't believe how fast they can be on the road towing a 35,000# combine with the front wheels down and in 45 minutes be unhooked and combining. BTW, they tow them 50-75mph too. Scary to follow and try to keep up with them and the damn fools will race each other and pass one another. They are a crazy bunch. So if you see them in the rear view mirror, pull over and park til they pass and then follow them.
OC - I think you will know what I'm talking about when I say I remember before combines were self propelled that the local farmers would pull the old style combines hooked to a Farmall M or Super M - a lot of weight on that draw bar, but the job got done

Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
OC - I think you will know what I'm talking about when I say I remember before combines were self propelled that the local farmers would pull the old style combines hooked to a Farmall M or Super M - a lot of weight on that draw bar, but the job got done
Did development work on the IH 1482 which was a pull type combine used in the Dakotas in windrowed crops. Was the same size as the biggest IH had, the 1480 self propelled. This was in the mid 80's. My grandfather use to pull his McCormick Deering stationary threshing machine all over north MO doing custom threshing with his Farmall 1030(not sure of the no.) after he replaced the steel lug wheels with rubber tires.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Did development work on the IH 1482 which was a pull type combine used in the Dakotas in windrowed crops. Was the same size as the biggest IH had, the 1480 self propelled. This was in the mid 80's. My grandfather use to pull his McCormick Deering stationary threshing machine all over north MO doing custom threshing with his Farmall 1030(not sure of the no.) after he replaced the steel lug wheels with rubber tires.
Those "new" IH tractor model numbers came around just before I joined the AF and I kind of lost track of them after that. I was used to the Farmall A, C, H, M, MD and Super M.

I remember the old steel wheels with the "V" lugs.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
FEZ

Thank you all for your input!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

BTW, the Big Well in Greenville is the deepest and largest hand dug well in the world or so they say.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Berkshire 390QS

Not sure which way your headed across KS, but nice COE campground at Fall River about 70 miles east of Whicita KS off of higway 400, lake fishing, river fishing, hiking etc.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #17

Try the Kansas Cosmosphere also know as Space Museum in Hutchison, KS. Nice 90 fishing lake and big swimming beach at Melvern Outlet Park at Melvern KS.

Kansas is not overloaded with sights and entertainment.

Good luck on your trip to CO.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #18

The state did a contest a couple of years ago naming the eight wonders of Kansas. This is the link with the winners and other who didn't receive enough votes. http://www.kansassampler.org/8wonders/. The cosmosphere would be entertaining for the kids. The Eisenhower library is interesting as well. Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka, and Wichita all offer lots to do, but may be difficult to pull a trailer through.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #19

So what did you decide to do while in Kansas of the two days?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZ View Post
Hey all, we are heading out to CO next Sunday, but have two days before we need to be there. Any ideas or suggestions for a two event in KS? We will be traveling with our two kids (9 yr old girl & 13 yr old son). Thanks!
We just came through Kansas. Both Ft. Leavenworth and Ft. Riley have very interesting museums on the history of the US Cavalry and some really, really interesting and great-looking old buildings. Ft. Riley is right on I-70 and Ft. Leavenworth is about 20 miles north of I-70/Kansas Turnpike at the Bonner Springs/KS Hwy 7 exit. Well worth a stop at either or both, and I'm sure, given your kids ages, that they would enjoy both places. Also, if you need a good place to camp, the COE campground at Lake Perry (exit at the Lawrence, KS exit and go north about 12-14 miles) is a wonderful, scenic campground right on the lake.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote