Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Louisiana and Arkansas

We stayed in Indian CReek State Park in Alexandra La and now we are in Degray State Park near Hot Springs AR. Both parks are well kept and pretty. Degray took myGolden age passport but Indian Creek did not. Degray advertises pull through sites, but has TWO only. Neither has wi fi.
The Grey Wolf is pulling great and we are. Becoming pros. I will post photos when I learn how on this new iPad.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #3

we drive by indian creek frequently on our trek between NE and SW La. we tried to use our Senior nat park pass as well. was told that doesn't work here. they are state of La but part of the st forest service (i think...it may be wildlife and fisheries). they aren't part of the st parks system.
if u want to stay in a new one, the one in Delhi (on La 17 abt 4 miles north of I-20) has only been there 5 or so years. its well maintained. i believe indian creek has nicer surounds though. i like the half price camping in the st parks. $9/night for full plus the $1 or $2 fee to reserve america per reservation.

I don't recall if they had wifi at poverty pt or not. i think they did. i have a connection card and may have used that.
by the way, it isn't the pass in Louisiana at the state parks that gets u the discount; its ur age.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

if u want to stay at a st park on ur way back, Chicot is right next to I-49 and it's not that far south of Indian Creek.
according to the st web site, all the La State parks have wifi.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ireservoir.aspx
Old 10-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

In Arkansas, i like the area around Mountianview. best way to get in is from the east up ark 5. or come in from batesville. the way in from Sherlie, is rather crocked. i believe they actually took me on a tour of Sherlie before getting out of town. Sherlie is not but abt 4 blcoks wide but they make sure u see it. Mountian view is almost due north of little rock maybe abt 75 miles (as the crow flies) from misouri.

Mountianview has a folk center right there by it. Blanchard Springs Cavern is less than 10 miles away. Very nice cave; large with lots of formations. u go down in an elevator and go out the back side to a waiting bus. there is a premitive campground there as well. the park is run by the national forest service.

back in mountianview, those wanting to play gather around on the courthouse square at sunset and play. at times there are several playing in different places around the square. They play various kinds of music although i've yet to hear my favorite, Christian gangster rock.

Just out of town, there is a store namened Mellons. the owner is from somewhere around the Lafayette, La area. it is a country store and he is rather comical. he and his dog have been seen in town in his model t erra truck with words "Mellons speedy delivery" on it.

Needlessly to say, i like that area.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

We are probably going to stay in and around n. Ar the rest of Oct. A good friend, Tina Wilcox is the chief gardener and herbalist at the Ozark Folk Center. BTW,she has two books out. Buy them.
Thanks for all the good info. I am well over 65, so will have no discount problems.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

As promised, here are some pics from Indian Creek in Alexandria, LA.

Sunset

Sunrise

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #8

oh great
we have been looking at visiting degray lake.
is it as good as the website suggests?

how was access into and out of the park

thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Jan Goldfield

Degray Lake is nice. The sites are wooded and the entire area is forest. The roads are narrow and hilly, but we had no problem with our 28' TT. They advertise pull through sites: There are TWO and not very desirable. And they were taken. Degray lake itself is down about 30', so boat launches are closed and swimming close to impossible. This past summer's drought has taken a toll on plant material. Much is dead and dying. Wildlife is abundant as the deer and birds come closer to humans to get something to eat. There is a Forest Service campground abutting Degray Lake. It has electric, but no water hookups. The entire area is beautiful. Oh, and there is a fire ban now because of lack of rain.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #10

Thank you for the real world appraisal
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #11

Kirby Landing COE park Kirby, AR (45 min west of Hot Springs) is awesome...beautiful lake, restaurant at marina, small motel and the sites are huge, flat and we love it so much we have stayed 14 days one trip and stayed the whole month of October the second....and we used our Golden Ager card for the half price discount both times. The lots are huge and above flood level the sites are full hookups. No cable and can't pick up any tv channels but with a satellite you're good to go. Cell phone service is great. Really really pretty place. Oh yes, new bath houses...no laundry at the upper loop (newest) where we stayed but the old loop does have a laundry I think.

We went to DeGray year before last (not camping) visiting friends who were camping and the sites were so weedy it was scarey to even walk from the truck to the campers....I think they said they hadnt had time to weed eat but they forbid you to weedeat your own site.

We camp in N. Louisiana most because we are only 13 miles from the N. Louisiana border. Lake Claiborne State Park is great. We have a site reserved in March. We camped there twice last year and once the year before (we got our first camper late in the season). We also love Jimmie Davis State Park near Jonesboro/Hodge LA. Beautiful lake....nice sites and a place at Claiborne AND Jimmie Davis to tie our party barge up close to the camper.
hanna1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna1946 View Post
We camp in N. Louisiana most because we are only 13 miles from the N. Louisiana border. Lake Claiborne State Park is great. We have a site reserved in March. We camped there twice last year and once the year before (we got our first camper late in the season). We also love Jimmie Davis State Park near Jonesboro/Hodge LA. Beautiful lake....nice sites and a place at Claiborne AND Jimmie Davis to tie our party barge up close to the camper.
We have passed by Jimmy Davis a couple times without the trailer. how difficult would it be to get a 36' 5th wheel in there (assuming that i am a less than average driver)?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #13

jimh, it would be no problem at all. Our friends we camp with have a 35' fifth wheel and they had no problems. The lots are level (thats what we like being sort of new campers ourselves) and they also have internet provided which was a plus. We just bought a 38 ft fifth wheel and will probably camp there this year. Try it out...I think you'll like it! The lots we have camped in at Lake Claiborne are somewhat hilly and that was a challenge for new campers...especially a 29 ft bumper pull....especially for seniors whose reflexes arent what they used to be. I usually jump out of the truck and hide behind a tree with my fingers in my ears while my husband backs the camper in. I know...I've got to get over that.
hanna1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #14

We like Daisy State Park which is about 30 miles south of Hot Springs.
2005 Harley Davidson Superglide
2008 Harley Davidson Streetglide
NostalgiaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #15

Crater of Diamonds state park is a little south of Daisy. It has some full hook-ups and is really clean. Besides that, there have been a lot of diamonds being found lately.

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote