Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Making travel plans is exhausting

No real question here, I'm just voicing my frustration.

It surely comes as no surprise to anyone as to how difficult it us to find open camping spots when trying to make travel plans.

Now that we are retired and want to explore, *it is impossible to find consecutive days available in our preferred locations, State, County and Corps of Engineer parks. Weekends are not available and I understand why. We may have to lower our standards and start looking at Camping Resorts, KOA's and the like and pay preimum prices for amenities not essential to us for those weekend days, it just means moving often.

Iowa: Not as bad as you picture it.

2013 F-250 CrewCab 6.7 PowerStroke 4X4
2014 8528RSWS
iowaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Your preferred locations of State, County and COE parks will fill up fast, especially where the season is short like the midwest. Have you considered private campgrounds?

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
What about the first come, first served sites in the COE and state park campgrounds? Being retired I would think you could snag one of those during the week and be able to stay for the maximum allowable number of days.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Have you looked into some of the discount cards/plans/memberships that are available. Such as Passport America, which I understand does come with some limitations.

Another route maybe if you can find a cheap Thousand Trails membership. Many times these can be had for $1 and up depending on the membership level. The do come with annual membership fees, but if you are full time and flexible you could camp year round for around $1,300.

Where there's a will there's a way so they say. But, anymore you are correct you need to plan well I advance, be flexible, and at times pay for what you don't use.
2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Oakman; we are going to try to snag a walk up CG this summer. They take reservations except for peak times, then it is walk up. We will make a reservation, then when the site turns to walk up, we will see how it works to keep the site we are on.
jonjen; we stayed at a passport america CG last summer. It was ok for an overnight stay, but not very nice for an extended stay. When one is a long way from home in unfamiliar areas it's a crap shoot and the online reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. You are right, one just has to stay flexible and since we are retired now we are able to do that. When things just don't work out when we are close to home it's no big deal, but on the road it's a different story. I have found several places do not let one reserve anything out more than 6 months. I will keep plugging away at it.

Iowa: Not as bad as you picture it.
2013 F-250 CrewCab 6.7 PowerStroke 4X4
2014 8528RSWS
iowaborn is offline   Reply With Quote