Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Memphis Tennessee Area Campgrounds?

Headed to Memphis after Thanksgiving.... anybody have a recommendation for a campground near Memphis? We will be looking near I-40/I-240 area as that is where my brother lives.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis is very popular, right on the Miss River
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Thanks...it's 13mi from my brothers and fits the bill perfectly!
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 AM   #4

X2 for Tom Sawyer.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Tom Sawyer is an excellent campground and great choice. To give you another option though, the Agricenter in Germantown, TN is an event center with a lot of RV sites and some are full hookup sites.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Memphis Campgrounds

We have stayed at Tom Sawyer R.V. Park twice. Hated it both times. Pretty sleazy area to go thru to get to it. No security lighting, all dirt, no grass. Best I remember there were no tables. The last two times we were in Memphis we stayed at campground behind Heart Break Hotel. Great area with security, pullthrus, walking distance to Graceland.
dadaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior

We stayed at a Army Corps of Engineers campground. There are a few of them and they all have water and electricity but no sewer although there is a dump station. The sites are roomy, paved and level. They are always on a lake with many lakefront sites which are the most popular. Best of all is the price of $24.00 and they accepted our National Parks senior pass for a 50% discount. Plus the showers are clean but not the newest and the grounds are well maintained. Only about a 15 minute drive to downtown.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Tom Sawyer RV park in West Memphis is very popular, right on the Miss River
A few years ago we stayed here as well for 2 nights. Pretty impressive right on the Ole Miss - As long as the creek doesn't rise. It s a Good Sam Park and located in (I think) West Memphis Arkansas. Short drive over bridge to Tenn
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

That whole area is pretty sleazy. Don't know about Tom Sawyer, but it does get good reviews. We broke down last week in West Memphis and limped up to the Memphis Area KOA. It's at Exit 14 off I-55 just north of I-40. Since we didn't have a reservation and it was an emergency, we stayed two nights in a W/E only site with 30A service, in the front, close to the interstate. Surprisingly quiet, even with the traffic noise. Very clean, nice folks running the place. Full hookup sites are in the back and closer together but still pretty good for the price.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

And I almost forgot....if you drive I-40 headed west out of Memphis, stay in the left lane until you get at least 20 miles into Arkansas. The roads are terrible, which contributed to our breakdown. Just east of the truck parking area the right lane was do rough it broke the comm cable between or transmission and the main computer. Stick to the left and just let some folks be frustrated for a while. Drive safe.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #11

Sailski... I checked AllStays application and they did not show any army corps of engineer campsites near Memphis. Do you have the name of the place?

Has anyone had experience of TO Fuller State Park campground?

Everyone here is so helpful...thanks so much!
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Never been there but check out Agriculture International RV park at Shelby Farms near I-40/ I-240 east just south of Cordova. Convenient location to lots of things in the east Memphis area. Zip line, anyone? Reasonable rates. I don't think it is a "camping resort" but I don't think that is what you are looking for. Of course, I hear good things about Tom Sawyer also.
wetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #13

My boys and I liked Tom Sawyer Campground. The staff was friendly, and helpful. The sites were large enough to maneuver easily with a long rig (44' diesel coach towing a Yukon XL). We've stayed there 4 times now, but only as an overnighter. It is set in an industrial area, but that also meant the access roads were all big and wide until you got to the park. Even though you're close to the highway and industry, once you're in the park you'd never know it. Definitely will stay there again...

We tried Graceland RV park once... Had a hard time finding it. It's location in the Good Sam GPS is wrong. It is in the middle of the city, and not in a very good neighborhood. Got there after the office closed - had a map to my site waiting for me, but when I got to my site (a large pull-thru), there was someone setting up camp on my site. They were courteous and moved without any complaint (there were no other sites available that I could fit into). I suppose that if you wanted to tour Graceland, it would be a good place, but other than that it was kinda a pain...

We also stayed at EZ Days RV park in Memphis once. It was on the second trip I ever drove my coach. It was laid out very well. There was enough room to maneuver, and even being a newbie at the time, I had no trouble getting in and out. The park was very clean, the restrooms were great, and they had a real nice pool and hot tub. Staff was exceptionally friendly. Some would see the lack of trees as a negative, but with being a rookie at the time, I was looking at it more like "fewer things to hit"... The only negative for me was that we were just staying overnight, and it was a long way off I-40...

Hope this helps. Safe travels!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #14

Thanks folks... the road conditions report is very helpful, I'd say Tom Sawyer had the most positive results, Shelby is near my brothers metal fabrication business and all I need now is cooperating weather. Anybody out there have influences on that? 😇
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Tom Sawyer. Make your reservation for a river side sure. Enjoy, we certainly did.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
Headed to Memphis after Thanksgiving.... anybody have a recommendation for a campground near Memphis? We will be looking near I-40/I-240 area as that is where my brother lives.

Memphis is difficult for RVers. Given your I-40/240 relatives, I suggest The Agricenter RV Park. The area is quite nice (Shelby Farms). The RV park has full hookups, easy in and out.

When we go to visit family, that is where we stay.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #17

Thanks Dave & Cathy. Years ago I rode Greenway Bike Trail from my brother's past the prison and to the park. I don't remember much about it except that it was a nice trail and the park was very nice. Didn't have a camper at the time, so I didn't look at the facility. From the reviews and the input of kind folks such as yourselves, it sounds like a good choice. Thanks.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

Tom Sawyer would be my first choice - we also stayed at the campground behind the Heartbreak hotel due to flooding on the Mississippi last December/January.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #19
Senior

Sailski... I checked AllStays application and they did not show any army corps of engineer campsites near Memphis. Do you have the name of the place?

Try the recreation.gov website. We have stayed at a few Corps of Engineer campgrounds and were always pleased. Then again we aren't looking for much. just a clean spacious place to spend a few nights while we sightsee the nearby attractions preferably with electric when it's hot or we'll be staying for awhile.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #20

Tom Sawyer is my favorite campground anywhere - I could sit and watch the river for hours. Definitely worth it to request one of the riverside spots. The staff is very helpful and are always working to keep the place up. We were there during a heavy rain and they were out afterwards with a huge squeegee, clearing off the cement sites.

You also can't beat the (very nice) free washers and dryers!

And yes, the road getting to it is not the greatest, but it's a small price to pay!
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg