Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Mother Neff State Park, Tx. W/ Pics

Went to Mother Neff for the weekend. All and all we had a good trip. It was a very nice park, and was really far away from any towns or anything busy. It is a very well maintained park, trails are well groomed and the map is spot on to the trails, the natural scenic areas are easy to access and are clean and clear. All and all it's a great park and we had a great time! I would say that it is not a summer park for families toting kids around that like to swim, but it would be a blast to go back to in the fall. I highly recommend that anybody visiting the park take a cruise West out old river road, it's gorgeous (it leaves right out the park and is a great drive)!

Friday night when we got there. Try to get there early enough to get a good shaded site, there is only about 6 rv sites right now. Right now the park is under some construction (not that you will notice it's in a different area of the park than camping), to add more sites.

I took the kids on a hike that ended at the cave while my wife and the other couple we were camping with stayed back and cooked dinner.

The wash hole. It was kind of cool, but it made the kids really want to swim however the wash hole is not swimming hole. It wouldn't be safe do to the stagnant water, and snakes that lived in it.

In the corner of the wash hole was a little snake resting on a rock. Behind the snake was a nest with eggs. I don't know if you can see the snake in this picture.

We took a drive down old river road and along our way we came across this old wooden bridge. All the planks were wood. It was really cool and the kids thought it was awesome!

My 6 year old daughter who is just learning to read already knows how to find a play ground on the map. I literally had no idea there was a play ground till a couple hours after we got there my daughter came up to me saying "Theres a play ground, theres a play ground" and pointed it out to me on the map! It's a cool play ground cuz it's old school with the taller swings and the metal slide. I liked it cuz I reminisced and the kids liked it cuz it was different that the safety plastic crap their schools have now.

DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Where exactly is this SP???? Must be new because I haven't heard of it.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Southwest of Waco....
Northwest of Temple....
Mother Neff State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

From that site ==> "Mother Neff State Park is the first official state park in Texas. It is named for Mrs. Isabella Eleanor (Mother) Neff who donated six acres of land along the Leon River in 1916 which became the first park site. Her son was Texas Governor Pat M. Neff, who served as Governor from 1921 to 1925. After the death of his mother in 1921, Governor Neff created the Mother Neff Memorial Park which later became the nucleus of the Texas State Park System. The park, located west of Moody, now contains 259 acres in Coryell County. The additional land was deeded to the state in 1934 by private owners; Governor Neff deeded 250 acres and Mr. Frank Smith deeded 3 acres. The park was opened to the public in 1937."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

Yup, Mr. Dan is 100% correct! It is the O.G. of tx state parks! It's a really cool park in the Waco area out by Moody. It's literally in the middle of no where!
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

It is near my OLD Stompin Grounds, Fort Hood!Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #6

Thank you for that great report, I had been wondering about Mother Neff every since I had driven past the entrance to the park many years ago.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

Looks great!
steepgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

That sounds like a neat State Park. Need to check it out.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
NELA

Those bugs look like little drones reflected in the surface of the water!

OR, are those what we call "water walkers" in this neck of the woods?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote