Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Mount Magazine Arkansas

Just returned a couple of days ago from a trip to "the highest point in Arkansas (2700 feet). Doesn't sound like much but it was 10 degrees cooler than here in Texas or in the valleys below. The views were fantastic even though it was dry. The fall must be breath taking. Hiking and bike trails were plentyfull, but when you start at the top of a mountain there is only one way to go and that is down. And what goes down must come back up unless you cheat and take a car to the bottom of the trail for the trip back up. Only 18 camp sites, W/E/S, and only about 4 of us brave soles hauling our trailers up. Several other tent campers. Very quiet and restfull. The pull up the mountain was interesting. In talking to the other RVers we all said the same thing. The engine sounded like it was a jet. The engine fan was full blast all the way. The climb was over 2000 feet in less than 8 miles. I was very interested in how the trip down would be but the tow/haul did it's job in controlling engine speed and engine braking so I really didn't have to do a lot of braking. Definatelly will go back.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

It is nice up there. We stayed at the lodge on Mt. Magazine a few years ago on Labor Day weekend, and didn't camp.

Did you go ahead and hike all the way up to the top (Signal Hill)?

We have a gps track of the trail to the top of Mt Magazine when entering from the lodge side, that is posted on our local geocaching website, for anyone who may want it for the future.

http://www.nelageo.net/index.php?opt...id=2&Itemid=71

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

My wife and I are waiting on our first Rv, Flagstaff Micro Lite 25Ds. Most of our camping will be around 125 miles from Little Rock. We have two dogs that is our little family.
budrow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by budrow56 View Post
Most of our camping will be around 125 miles from Little Rock.
You definitely have the parks and scenery in that radius to really enjoy your first camper in.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

I'm in Lake Ouchita SP now and plan to go to Mount Magazine. Called ahead and they said to pull trailer from North (town of Paris) rather than coming from South. What did you pull with? Should I reconsider? I've got an FJ Cruiser with a 24 ft 4300 pound trailer? Being from Texas, I might need some advise, since we are a little flat!
AggieTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTraveler View Post
I'm in Lake Ouchita SP now and plan to go to Mount Magazine. Called ahead and they said to pull trailer from North (town of Paris) rather than coming from South. What did you pull with? Should I reconsider? I've got an FJ Cruiser with a 24 ft 4300 pound trailer? Being from Texas, I might need some advise, since we are a little flat!
AggieTraveler, I didn't pull a trailer like 1Texan did, but I remember there being a few good switchbacks if you try to come in from the south side. We drove out thru Paris, visiting some other places, and it would be easier to pull a trailer in and out that way.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

AggieTraveler,
Sorry for the delay. I posted yesterday and for some reason it didn't go thru. We came up the South side. We stopped almost to the top to let the tranny cool a bit. It wasn't at the critical stage but was slowly climbing. Others I talked to said the same thing. Tranny temp was way up there. Engine temp never moved from normal. We made a trip into Paris for supplies and it is an easier climb but not sure it's worth the extra milage to get around to the North. There are places to pull over on the South entrance if you need to let someone get around you and to cool down a bit. My truck is a gasser so I take my time and just go slower up those really steep hills. I try to let people around me if possible. On our trip out we went back south and went by the SP where you are currently camping. There are one or two hills on that road as well but nothing you can't handle. I was pulling almost twice the trailer weight that you have with my 6.2 gasser. Many have gone before you. Just take your time and watch your temps.
Enjoy the mountain.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote