Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Mt. Rushmore Summer 2015

Planning our trip to Mt. Rushmore area for the first two weeks of June 2015.

Google says approximately 1500 miles/22 hours from our home near Birmingham, Al. Planning 3 days to travel up.

This will be our first major road trip in our Sunseeker 3170. No toad yet, so we would like to pick up a rental car at Hill City, SD before making camp. Any suggestions? Two adults, two teenage boys so need something with some size.

We have read good reviews for Horse Thief and Rafter J. I am leaning Rafter J at the moment in the 'Base Camp' section. How far out should make reservations?

Anyone have experience with the weather at that time of year in southwest SD?

Thanks!
BamaGrad

2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
31 Nights camped 2015/51 Nights camped 2016/33 nights booked/camped 2017
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
Anyone have experience with the weather at that time of year in southwest SD?
We went in June a few years back. but flew into Rapid City and rented a SUV at the airport.. The days were comfortable in the high 80's and the nights dipped down into the lower 50's. The last day of our trip north of there (Deadwood, Sturgis, back to Rapid City) they had an unseasonable heat wave with temps there getting into the 101's.

I remember the locals and a lady I talked to in the elevator from Minnesota that last day saying they were dying from this heat. My kids just looked at me like she was crazy, as their 100 degree heat sure didn't feel the same as our southern equivalent. I don't even think we broke a sweat the whole time.

Have fun, it was a trip on my bucket list and we had a blast. Highly recommend Custer State Park, and Crazy Horse memorial.

EDIT: My nickname on many forums is LSUFan.....but I begrudgingly have to pull for that place you are an alum from now (but I still can't say the name) being SEC. We might have to do something about that avatar though. LOL

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Weather is nice, what I would call your average northern US summer weather, not overly humid. What type of things is your family interested in, hiking, biking? Let us know, i'm sure you will get loads of input.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

When we were there June. 1-3 of this year it was cool and rainy.

Locals said it was unusual for it to be that way.

In retrospect we should have went to the Grand Canyon that first week.

We stayed here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HfeNNF8sg3XicQ
Old 12-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

wmtire(LSUfan)

Geaux Tigers (360-ish days of the year anyway)
Us Tiders will take all the support we can get against the Buckies. Best of luck against the Irish.

Thanks for the info. Its a dry heat right? :-)

What part on Northern LA? we have good friends in Ruston that have an unoccupied level pad with 30A service at their home from previous owners Plan to visit them soon.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
31 Nights camped 2015/51 Nights camped 2016/33 nights booked/camped 2017
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
What part on Northern LA? we have good friends in Ruston that have an unoccupied level pad with 30A service at their home from previous owners Plan to visit them soon.
30 miles east of Ruston, in the home of Duck Dynasty....West Monroe.

Being LSU fans, we're not so much against your alma mater, as much as we are anti Saban.

He shares that special place in our hearts with that other traitor, William Tecumseh Sherman (who most people don't know was the first superintendent of LSU, who quit and went to rejoin the Union Army at the onset of the Civil War)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisia...litary_Academy

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #7

Nice weather in June. It may be cool in the mornings 40F. Make reservation asap. I recommend the Rafter J and stay in the Lower Ranch Camp or The Island. I lived the Black Hills for many years and I was up there in 2014 for a family trip (kids and grandkids). The Rafter J is central located in the hills and next to Mt. Rushmore. It's the best location in the hills, the best RV campground in the hills with very spacious sites. It's the only campground we will stay at.

2014 Rockwood 8289WS - Goodyear Tires
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa, Nebraska, USA
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Make your reservations as soon as you can. we lived in Rapid City for 3 Years at the Air Force Base just east of Rapid City, and the summertime is always heavy with tourists. also do not attempt to take a camper or RV on the Pig tail highway, you can't fit thru the tunnels or around the curves, (yes the pigtails are that tight). enjoy and tour all the black hills sight, bear Heaven, and take a drive out east to Wall Drug, and the Badlands (there is a campground in the Badlands if you want to gou that way and tour the sights. in the Badlands there is a archeoligcal dig actively going on that they have set up an observation area that you can watch them dig the area up (dinousaurs have been found there) it is really a great place for kids. they even will let the kids dig (even teenagers like it) also go thru Custer State park, and such. there is so much to see, try to see what all you can. We loved it there! and yes it gets hot but only hot enough for AC for about the last of July and first of August, and always take a jacket when there, because we always ahd SNOW in the summer up in the black hills at least once each summer there would be cold spells
also visit Deadwood!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Chief

Black Hills

Have stayed at Elkridge RV just south of Spearfish. Absolutely great RV Resort Park. Rates are not bad and has a bunch to do at the park itself.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Rushmore

My two cents is slow down and enjoy the scenery. We did the trip from Charleston SC in Sept this year and had a lot of fun. Took about 4 weeks and in SD did Badlands, Sturgis, Deadwood and Black Hills --were all great. Had snow in Deadwood in Sept. You will see signs for Wall Drug and Corn Palace - imho these are waste of time- tourist traps. Badlands is a must do while there. The recommendation on roads and tunnels is important. There were a couple tunnels I had to fold my f250 mirrors in to get through. Be sure to go through the museum down below in Rushmore - it provides a lot of fun info.