Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Mt. Rushmore Summer 2015

Planning our trip to Mt. Rushmore area for the first two weeks of June 2015.

Google says approximately 1500 miles/22 hours from our home near Birmingham, Al. Planning 3 days to travel up.

This will be our first major road trip in our Sunseeker 3170. No toad yet, so we would like to pick up a rental car at Hill City, SD before making camp. Any suggestions? Two adults, two teenage boys so need something with some size.

We have read good reviews for Horse Thief and Rafter J. I am leaning Rafter J at the moment in the 'Base Camp' section. How far out should make reservations?

Anyone have experience with the weather at that time of year in southwest SD?

Thanks!
BamaGrad
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
Anyone have experience with the weather at that time of year in southwest SD?
We went in June a few years back. but flew into Rapid City and rented a SUV at the airport.. The days were comfortable in the high 80's and the nights dipped down into the lower 50's. The last day of our trip north of there (Deadwood, Sturgis, back to Rapid City) they had an unseasonable heat wave with temps there getting into the 101's.

I remember the locals and a lady I talked to in the elevator from Minnesota that last day saying they were dying from this heat. My kids just looked at me like she was crazy, as their 100 degree heat sure didn't feel the same as our southern equivalent. I don't even think we broke a sweat the whole time.

Have fun, it was a trip on my bucket list and we had a blast. Highly recommend Custer State Park, and Crazy Horse memorial.

EDIT: My nickname on many forums is LSUFan.....but I begrudgingly have to pull for that place you are an alum from now (but I still can't say the name) being SEC. We might have to do something about that avatar though. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Weather is nice, what I would call your average northern US summer weather, not overly humid. What type of things is your family interested in, hiking, biking? Let us know, i'm sure you will get loads of input.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

When we were there June. 1-3 of this year it was cool and rainy.

Locals said it was unusual for it to be that way.

In retrospect we should have went to the Grand Canyon that first week.

We stayed here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HfeNNF8sg3XicQ
Old 12-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

wmtire(LSUfan)

Geaux Tigers (360-ish days of the year anyway)
Us Tiders will take all the support we can get against the Buckies. Best of luck against the Irish.

Thanks for the info. Its a dry heat right? :-)

What part on Northern LA? we have good friends in Ruston that have an unoccupied level pad with 30A service at their home from previous owners Plan to visit them soon.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
What part on Northern LA? we have good friends in Ruston that have an unoccupied level pad with 30A service at their home from previous owners Plan to visit them soon.
30 miles east of Ruston, in the home of Duck Dynasty....West Monroe.

Being LSU fans, we're not so much against your alma mater, as much as we are anti Saban.

He shares that special place in our hearts with that other traitor, William Tecumseh Sherman (who most people don't know was the first superintendent of LSU, who quit and went to rejoin the Union Army at the onset of the Civil War)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisia...litary_Academy

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #7

Nice weather in June. It may be cool in the mornings 40F. Make reservation asap. I recommend the Rafter J and stay in the Lower Ranch Camp or The Island. I lived the Black Hills for many years and I was up there in 2014 for a family trip (kids and grandkids). The Rafter J is central located in the hills and next to Mt. Rushmore. It's the best location in the hills, the best RV campground in the hills with very spacious sites. It's the only campground we will stay at.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Make your reservations as soon as you can. we lived in Rapid City for 3 Years at the Air Force Base just east of Rapid City, and the summertime is always heavy with tourists. also do not attempt to take a camper or RV on the Pig tail highway, you can't fit thru the tunnels or around the curves, (yes the pigtails are that tight). enjoy and tour all the black hills sight, bear Heaven, and take a drive out east to Wall Drug, and the Badlands (there is a campground in the Badlands if you want to gou that way and tour the sights. in the Badlands there is a archeoligcal dig actively going on that they have set up an observation area that you can watch them dig the area up (dinousaurs have been found there) it is really a great place for kids. they even will let the kids dig (even teenagers like it) also go thru Custer State park, and such. there is so much to see, try to see what all you can. We loved it there! and yes it gets hot but only hot enough for AC for about the last of July and first of August, and always take a jacket when there, because we always ahd SNOW in the summer up in the black hills at least once each summer there would be cold spells
also visit Deadwood!
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Chief

Black Hills

Have stayed at Elkridge RV just south of Spearfish. Absolutely great RV Resort Park. Rates are not bad and has a bunch to do at the park itself.
ctbutler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Rushmore

My two cents is slow down and enjoy the scenery. We did the trip from Charleston SC in Sept this year and had a lot of fun. Took about 4 weeks and in SD did Badlands, Sturgis, Deadwood and Black Hills --were all great. Had snow in Deadwood in Sept. You will see signs for Wall Drug and Corn Palace - imho these are waste of time- tourist traps. Badlands is a must do while there. The recommendation on roads and tunnels is important. There were a couple tunnels I had to fold my f250 mirrors in to get through. Be sure to go through the museum down below in Rushmore - it provides a lot of fun info.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

We live in another area of SD, but visit the Black Hills several times a year. We would choose Rafter J ... hands down! As someone else said, Rapid City would be the place to get a rental car, and I would make reservations for Rafter J and a rental car as soon as you can. The weather will be nice, but cooler, especially in the evenings. Generally speaking a mountain rain shower goes through ... almost daily, but they are usually just short and refreshing! It's not very humid in the Hills, especially in June. Hill City has nice restaurants and shops, as does Custer. Keystone, IMO, is more of a tourist trap. Mount Rushmore is a must see, and the night lighting ceremony is excellent! As Palmetto Rogue said, the Corn Palace isn't high on the list of things to do. Wall Drug is fun ... one time, but it certainly is a "touristy" place. And the museum below Mount Rushmore is very good! There is a lot of history at the Crazy Horse Memorial, too. And if you have kids traveling with you, Bear Country is fun to drive through. It's been years since we've been to Reptile Gardens, so I can't speak to how that is. Regular pickups, and cars, go through all the tunnels, but our Solera wouldn't make it through. Enjoy ... the Black Hills are a treasure!!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

We are planning a trip in that direction after the Frog Rally in mid-August. We were planning on going north from Goshen thru the UP of Michigan and then head west. With sight seeing along the way I am guesstimating doing the Dakotas in mid to late September.
My DW suggesting skipping the Frog Rally and traveling earlier.
Those of you who have experience in this area, what would you recommend?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

Weather is typically gorgeous in September in South Dakota. Warm days, cool evenings, less humidity ... wonderfully beautiful fall days!! In late September, some of the "touristy" places in the Black Hills may have closed for the season. If you have something on your must see list, you may want to call ahead to find out their plans.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Mt Rushmore

We are also doing that West trip starting in the middle of June and getting At Rafter J in June 21 stay there four days and move to Cody WY for four or five days to see Yellowstone on the East entrance then head to Salt Lake City Hill Air Force base Utah going thru the park and going out the West exit. Here is a question I have will I be able to drive thru the park with my Georgetown 378 and toad are there any tunnels that I will not make it thru? This route seems the best route I see and less time does anyone have a better route if I can not go thru the park?
Thank for your input in advance.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
We are also doing that West trip starting in the middle of June and getting At Rafter J in June 21 stay there four days and move to Cody WY for four or five days to see Yellowstone on the East entrance then head to Salt Lake City Hill Air Force base Utah going thru the park and going out the West exit. Here is a question I have will I be able to drive thru the park with my Georgetown 378 and toad are there any tunnels that I will not make it thru? This route seems the best route I see and less time does anyone have a better route if I can not go thru the park?
Thank for your input in advance.
Which park are you referring to? If you are asking about Yellowstone Park, then you are hijacking this thread and should start a new one to ask your question...this thread has more to do with Mt Rushmore. Not to mention you have a much better chance of having your question properly answered in a thread that isn't titled Mt Rushmore, if you are indeed inquiring about Yellowstone...if you are inquiring about Mt Rushmore area...then pardon the interruption.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
WFD

Regarding Rafter J Ranch....if one is coming from the direction of Rapid City, so #16 after coming off I-90...does one encounter any of these tunnels people are referring to on the way to Rafter J? Once at Rafter J, I wouldn't have the trailer in tow any longer so tunnels afterwards aren't a concern.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Site Team

You can pretty much see Badlands NP in one day so you don't really
need to stay there but DON'T miss it.
Easy drive to and from Custer state park.
As mentioned you must stop at Wall Drug! It's an institution! Great ice
cream stop fer sure!
Also drive the needles highway and stop along the way for fotos. Don't want
a trailer on the back for that one tho.... Google needles highway for
pictures.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #18

X2 on Rafter J
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #19

I'll second Horse Thief! Very nice with beautiful views of the surrounding hills. It is also center ally located near Hill City. We loved it there and would go back again. I checked out Rafter J and it looked like a place we stay at here in IL. If I'm going to the hills or mountains that is what I want around me hills not flatland LOL!

Yes the rain showers are actually refreshing and last only about 15 minutes. Temp is anything that time of year. So pack for anything, maybe even snow!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Regarding Rafter J Ranch....if one is coming from the direction of Rapid City, so #16 after coming off I-90...does one encounter any of these tunnels people are referring to on the way to Rafter J? Once at Rafter J, I wouldn't have the trailer in tow any longer so tunnels afterwards aren't a concern.
No you won't encounter any tunnels if you take Highway 16 out of Rapid City to Hill City. Then go south from Hill City on Highway 385/16 and you'll see the Rafter J entrance sign on your right a few miles out of town.

The Iron Mountain Road with the pigtail bridges is another pretty drive. And same as with the Needles Highway, you will not want to have the trailer in tow.