Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Natchez Trace Trail

We will be on the trail starting Monday and plan a stop in New Orleans. Any advice on must see places on the trail and a camping spot in NO?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

I did do a search and got some great info. Any other onions are welcomed.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Site Team

What part of New Orleans are you planning to see the most? If the usual downtown area (Bourbon Street, Canal, French Quarter, WWII museum, maybe even take the ferry to Algiers), there are several places fairly close.

I haven't stayed at either though personally, just know they are there.

French Quarter RV Resort - French Quarter RV Resort

Pontchartrain Landing - RV Park and Campground, Marina, Boat Launch, Shuttle

Have you ever been to NO? Are you experienced with the streetcar/bus system there as parking can get rather expensive.

If the Saints are playing at home the weekend of a planned visit, you can expect the rates for just about everything to double or more. I always try my best to make sure my visits don't coincide with their games, but am not always successful.

I'll be back down there this December, but am riding Amtrak in out of Jackson, MS. That's a blast to do also.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

We have been there but it was thirty years ago and we were mostly intoxicated the entire time. We made reservations at Pontchartrain Landing and they offer a shuttle bus. I'm not sure how long we will stay but 2-3 days at least. We might wonder down Bourbon St but will not party like we did. To old and a little smarter. Thanks for the leads we will check them out.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We have been there but it was thirty years ago and we were mostly intoxicated the entire time. We made reservations at Pontchartrain Landing and they offer a shuttle bus. I'm not sure how long we will stay but 2-3 days at least. We might wonder down Bourbon St but will not party like we did. To old and a little smarter. Thanks for the leads we will check them out.

The WWII museum is a blast, especially the 4D movie. You can move around fairly well using the streetcars/buses. I would recommend buying the 3 day jazzy passes for $9. You can then ride any streetcar/bus there ,all 3 days, anywhere they go, for $9 per person....as many times as you want.

Here is a way to familiarize yourself with them:

New Orleans Streetcar Routes | St Charles | Riverfront | Canal St

You can actually buy the jazzy passes online and have them shipped to your house before you get there, and then you already have them on your person. They don't activate for the 3 days until you use them the first time.

New Orleans Streetcar Routes | St Charles | Riverfront | Canal St

Welcome to the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority: Cleaner, Smarter Transit.

You can now even download apps to your smartphone that offer real time tracking of where the streetcars/buses are....as well as each stop has a text number that you can text and find out the expected eta of the next one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

There are a lot of stops and interesting stops along Natchez Trace. We spent a full day on the northern half of the trace, Tupelo, MS and north. Have not done the southern portion as of yet.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

Hey Phil, you coming down to my neck of the woods.

Must go to Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter. Get some "coffee & donuts". If y'all want to eat out, try Don's Seafood. Or ask the CG host about any of the 1000's of mom & pop restaurants in the city, they have the best food.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

My wife and I rode the entire Trail on our Harley's 5 years ago, the summer before our grand kids came to live with us. Being a History buff, I particularly liked sections of the old trace. Pretty country but remember that the speed limit is 45 and they do enforce it.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

There is a really nice campground just over the Mississippi border. It is a COE campground called Piney Grove. Beautiful spacious sites, many on the lake.

A fun time is to ride the St. Charles Street trolley in New Orleans. We also enjoyed the D Day Museum there. Hope you have some room in your clothes because the food in NO is wonderful!

Have a wonderful trip!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

Or first day in the Trace and it couldn't be better. 85degrees and bright sunshine. We had lunch at Loveless Cafe and are now stopped for the night at Meriwether Lewis camp ground. The colors are good and the site we have is great. I could stay here for awhile but we will move on tomorrow. We plan to be in NO on Thursday. This is a road that begs to be done on a motorcycle. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #11

Natchez Trace Trail

Phil, if you make it to New Orleans today you have to check out the Crew of Boo Halloween Parade. It passes through the French Quarter. If you have never seen a Mardi Gras parade don't miss this chance.