Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

need info Lake Charles La. area RV parks

Working Traveler here;

Need some info on rv parks in this area of Louisiana.

Going to work Conoco Phillips turn-around for 4-6 weeks and want a decient
place to stay.

Anything within 15 miles would be nice.

Feed-back appreciated

cdrifter
working traveler
'02 F/R windsong m/h
'02 toyota 4-runner (toad)

Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

There is a campground down the road from Conoco. It used to be a KOA (new name I don't know). I know someone who stayed there about 5 years while working in that area. They were there when it was a KOA and an independent. It should be easy to find, just off I-10 in Sulphur, LA.

campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

I was hoping to hear from a local cajin...Thanks Campdohbrew.

I'll ck. around and try to find the present name and location.

cdrifter
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #4

when r u planning on going there? i can check around when i'm there in abt 3 wks.
for conoco, that would be Westlake. off the top of my head, i know of a yogi bare on old town road (~10 miles out). there is also a campground south of I-10 on Arazona closer to Citgo (it probably isn't arazona at that pt but that is what we always called it..it would be the DeQuency exit).
there is also a park north of westlake which would probably be closer. i'll get a name for it when i go down and see what kind of hook ups they have. that one is on westwood road (main drag going thru westlake). it would be abt 5 miles from conoco. u will have westlake traffic to contend with but not I-10 traffic. depending on time of day, it should take u abt 15 min to get to the parking lot.

if u need the info sooner, i can look something up.
Sam Jones St. park is not far either...they do have some spots with full hook ups. don't know how long u r allowed to stay there.
ur looking for Westlake, Sulphur, Moss Bluff, or Lake Charles.
The one on Westwood rd is probably going to be the closest.
I'm having problems placing anything that resembled a KOA but that I'm simply not that observant. May have passed by it several times and it just didn't register.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

I will be there Sunday 01/29/12 for site specific class on Monday morning 7am. I plan on looking around then and the moving the coach next week from La Place.

Conoco job to start on Monday 02/13 but moving my crane in on weekend of 02/11-12/. On stand-by for that.

JIMH are you working the turn-around? What craft?

Thanks for the info.....

cdrifter
Gary
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #6

i worked at citgo for 41 yrs as a process operator then supervisor. i retired in 2009. worked several turnarounds.
the park that i trying to tell u abt on westwood road in westlake is whispering medows. Whispering Meadow Rv Park - Westlake, Louisiana - Yahoo! Travel
i have done nothing more than drive by it a few times but never went in. it is a mobile home and rv park. shouldn't take u more 15 minutes to get to conoco.
if ur bring the crain, u will probably have to go around on I-210 and come back to conoco. i believe they are restricting traffic on the I-10 calcasieu river bridge. when u take the westlake exit, conoco is on the north side. u will go across a rail road then the next traffic light, left will take u to the gates.
if u exit i-10 and keep going into westlake, the road will become westwood when the 4 lane ends. the campground is abt a mile farther on the right.
i'm sure there are other campgrounds near by but i can only think of 3 others: hidden ponds (south of I10 dequency exit...arazona st); yogi bear NE of Lake charles; a mobile home/rv park east of lake charles.
i'll make a call tomorrow night and see if one of my former coworkers (that lived in an RV for a couple yrs) has any suggestions.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #7

my crane takes about 10 semi's to haul in to the plant, and 1 1/2 days to assemble.

I only operate it , someone elses headache to bring it in and set it up.

going to be pulling some big exchanger tube bundles I'm guessing.

Thanks for the C/G info. will ck. it out this weekend

cdrifter
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #8

i'm hoping someone else will chime in with better info. i lived there for the past 50 years and started camping in the early 90's but didn't pay much attention to the local campgrounds.

there was a fairly large lift just before i left in 2009: they lifted the top off the regenerator on one of our kellogg cat crackers and pulled the internals. the crain they brought in was mamoot(?) which was probably the co. there were several months of foundation work just to prepair a place to install the crain. then the assembly. the lift was done around midnight. i was working that night so i watched the lift. i was told that it was filmed but never saw it air. there must have been more to that lift than i saw. guess when all the prep is done right, it doesn't appear to be a big event.

while in LC, check out the "hidden ponds" rv park south of Sulphur. that is another i drove by occasionally but never went in. i would say that would be abt 10 miles or so from conoco.

Venton has lots of camping space but that is 30 miles away.