Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Site Team

Need stop suggestions LONG trip to WA

We're planning our longest trip ever.
We're not exactly circling the US but it's looking like 6-7,000 miles.

I have my starting point- Louisville KY
and a couple definite stops with us winding up in Anacortes WA.

We're wanting to visit Glacier NP so I'm asking for stop suggestions between Louisville KY and far western Montana- Glacier NP.

I have just stuck darts on the map at
Madison WI
and
St. Cloud MN.

Looking for tourist suggestions in both cities AND
need stop suggestions between St. Cloud and Glacier!
It's a long way across ND and mostly across Montana so I've gotta break that up and we'd like to do a little tourist activity along the way.

ANY suggestions what to see where to stop even just place names or towns-
appreciated!

Keep in mind we'll be crossing ND on US 2 in northern ND.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think you need to stop in Goshen, IN, the week of Aug 12-18th.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

When you get to Anacortes, visit the Calico Cupboard restaurant. Absolute best food and pastries around!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

If you are going across North Dakota, take some time and go through Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Watford City, ND). It's similar to the bad lands of S.D. Nice little NP to go through. It's closer to I-94, but still worth the trip.

Didn't swing through the Fort Union Trading Post (Williston, ND), but I've found a lot of the NP sites are worth the stop, especially out west.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

How far do you like to travel per day?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

I started using the website

https://roadtrippers.com/

based on a suggestion from someone on this forum.

When planning routes it pops up all kinds of interesting things to see and do on or near your route.

You might give it a look...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

Ummm. I would have to ask why US2?
Many more attractions along 94 and 90

94 Medora, ND Teddy Roosevelt NP
90 Deadwood SD, Sturgis, Custer Battlefield( not too far off)
Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, etc.

Cut over to Cody, WY ( a western town with a most impressive museum - 5 in one building- and a great restaurant I think is Emma's All you can eat Prime Rib and any other meat/fish you want for around 30 bucks a plate. Daily western shows in town during summer)

Yellowstone NP then Glacier NP

Might try RV trip Wizard subscription around 40 bucks a year. Pretty decent trip planner.
www.rvtripwizard.com

Have a great trip. I will be headed your direction in May

Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #8

We've been to the Mt Rushmore area twice in past 3 years. If your in that area, then Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memoral are worth the visit. Also the drive thru Custer Park and the Needles Highway are a must see (if traveling the Needles use a toad or your truck....motor home won't make it thru several areas. We stayed in Hill City, Rafter J Bar campground. Cleanest, niceest there.
As for the small town in the area like Deadwood, ect...lot of touristy stuff, t-shirt shops ect. Sturgis is OK, but also, alot of novelty and t-shirt shops/motorcycle clothing. Wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.
Devils Tower is also a must see. Doodable in a day trip from the Rushmore area, but your better off changing locations and spending a full day there. Only one campground to stay at, Devils Tower KOA. The entrance to the tower is 200 yards from the KOA, and almost every spot in the campground has a view of the tower.
From Devils Tower you can work your way across to the Yellowstone and Glacier park areas.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
1+ Yrs of Trailering :0)

Live in California, so our route is a lot different. Hopefully, you have a passport, so you can take the ferry from Anacortes to Vancouver Island. It is a beautiful 2:45 hr ferry ride that weaves through San Juan Islands. It makes a could of stops. Vancouver Island has a lot of things to see and do, like Butchart Gardens which are spectacular. I would leave the RV/trailer behind and spend a day or two on the island. Also, great Orca whale watching trips from Anacortes (about 6 hrs). You'll see a lot more than Orcas.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Need stop suggestions LONG trip to WA

Wow! What a great trip you have planned. There is so much to see in MT, ID and WA. I've traveled each state extensively. Two Good Sam RV parks I really like are in Big Timber, MT and St. Regis, MT. Both are near I-90. I particularly like The Nugget RV Park in St. Regis. I've lived in the Seattle and Spokane, WA areas and now call Columbia Falls, MT my home. Home is just 14 miles from the west entrance to Glacier NP. If you want more detailed info, perhaps you can contact me privately.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Beware of the official opening of Glacier NP.. It is high altitude and depending on the seasonal weather, a lot of roads into the park are closed..We made a trip there in early June a couple of years ago and there was too much snow in the park.. Should be safe to go in July.. A beautiful Park however.. Also, if you have dogs, they are not allowed on any trails if you do hiking..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

I assume you have been to the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

If you come across on I-94, there is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Take a short detour south of I-94 to Crow's Agency and visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield. It is along I-90 near Billings, Montana.

There is also the waterfalls in Great Falls, Montana.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #13

Be sure to make a side trip from Anacortes to Deception Pass. I believe there is a state park you can stay at there. It is a bridge over a pass in the sound, but it is pretty cool. You won't want to pull over with an RV though, lots of people parking there.

We will be up there around June and July, but our trip will take us from the tip of Texas through New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and we have not figured out which way we are coming home. Most likely through Montana for sure.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #14

South Dakota must see

If you're going through South Dakota you absolutely should see Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park and the Black Hills. Stunning scenery and bison. Devil's Tower in Wyoming is very impressive too and they have a very good KOA camp just outside the gate with a terrific view of Devil's Tower. We did the trip last year starting in Washington so it's the reverse of your trip. On the Idaho border off I-90 you might want to stop at Coeur D'Alene. Beautiful lake, lots of restaurants. There is a Camp Coeur D'Alene that we stayed at last year. Close to town (about 10 minutes out and not walking distance) but one of the better campgrounds in the area. There's also Kellogg, Idaho that has a tram that takes you up the mountain. Warning: If you have a dog, beware of restrictions in National Parks. Regarding Glacier NP, if you travel between the East and West sides, the main road is called Going to the Sun road. It's a beautiful drive and a very nice visitor center but vehicles on this road are limited in length so be sure to research it.
shulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #15

There "ain't nuthin" to see along that route except one little town and then another. That being said it's not a bad road to travel but don't plan on overnighting in Williston, ND. They are still in the middle of an oil boom so all the sites are full up. You will see a lot of open range and farmland across the Highline country and can make pretty good time.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #16

Yes, Yes, and YES to Route 2. I drive it by myself hauling a 32' Airstream. Each town has a deep and interesting history. This is railroad country so much history is tied to the trains. Even Glacier NP is a destination product of the railroads. There are many very good articles on line written by people who have made the trip. PM me and I will send you a copy of an article I wrote for Yahoo Travel.
Halfway through North Dakota go north to the International Peace Gardens. There is good camping and it is a worth the visit. Make certain you have your passport because even through you don't realize it you are in Canada and need to go through US customs.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #17

What do you like to do. I lived in St. Cloud for years and worked Loss Prevention for Scheels.com

I can recommend the best burger/fries in town will be Vals They have been open like 60 years or more small joint that does sometimes have waiting lines even for to go. 628 E St Germain St, St Cloud, MN 56304

Let me know what you like from fine dining to fishing an I will point you in the right direction.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #18

We love Hwy 2. Been on it in several states. Be extra careful in Montana, it's a windy sucker. Sounds like it's going to be a great trip.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

Always open..

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
Beware of the official opening of Glacier NP.. It is high altitude and depending on the seasonal weather, a lot of roads into the park are closed..We made a trip there in early June a couple of years ago and there was too much snow in the park.. Should be safe to go in July.. A beautiful Park however.. Also, if you have dogs, they are not allowed on any trails if you do hiking..
I believe the park is always open. I think you might be referring to the Going to the Sun road. Which has a wide range of opening times at Logan Pass. Plus, they won't allow anything longer than 20 feet to travel on the Road.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #20

Wow! So many great suggestions. We will be visiting this same area during the period from mid-May through mid-July. All RV park reservations are made. We recommend not to miss: Mt. Rushmore and the town of Custer; Devil's Tower; Grand Teton NP - much better than Yellowstone - but see both; Dinosaur Nat'l Monument in Utah/Colorado - stay at Fossil Valley RV in Vernal, UT; West Glacier KOA is right at the western entrance to Glacier NP. Do not try to drive the Going to the Sun highway there in your RV.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote