Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

North Western Michigan

So I am starting to do my research on next years long haul. We are thinkin Northern Michigan along the coastline somewhere. We are looking for some wooded campgrounds with hiking and lake activities nearby. I figured this was the best place to put it out there to get some good info. Also wondering if there is anywhere in northern Michigan that anyone has seen the norther lights in the summer as I have heard this is possible. Any input to start my searching would be greatly appreciated. Pics too.

Thanks
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #2

We just got back from a trip that circled Lake Michigan. The coastline is beautiful. While in the upper part of the lower peninsula, we stayed at Holiday Park Campground near Traverse City. I recommend it and would stay there again. From that base we explored the Leelanau Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Old Mission Peninsula, and Mackinac Island. All places I recommend if in the area. Leaving MI we traveled through the Upper Peninsula into Wisconsin. We enjoyed WI but have never encountered mosquitos as bad as we did there.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Northwestern Michigan...

Are you talking the lower or upper peninsula?

These are like two different worlds!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #4

I have seen northern lights from Lake Michigan beach near Wilderness State Park near Mackinaw City, but it's quite rare. You would have a better chance further north, perhaps on Lake Superior.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Hi,

Sleeping Bear Dunes is great, but reservations are tough.

In the UP, we like Tamaquenon SP and Ontanogan Township Park.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
So I am starting to do my research on next years long haul. We are thinkin Northern Michigan along the coastline somewhere. We are looking for some wooded campgrounds with hiking and lake activities nearby. I figured this was the best place to put it out there to get some good info. Also wondering if there is anywhere in northern Michigan that anyone has seen the norther lights in the summer as I have heard this is possible. Any input to start my searching would be greatly appreciated. Pics too.

Thanks
In regards to Northern Lights, your best bet would be "Copper Harbor at the top of Brockway Mountain, this is located in the "UP of Michigan, Keweenaw Peninsula and Lake Superior"! To find a Darker place you would need a Big Boat to be farther North on Lake Superior! You will need to also buy a Michigan Park Pass in order to even Visit/Use state parks,if your going to spend much time in parks Might be cheaper to buy Year Pass? The other thing is be aware how to "Play the Reservation Game " start reserving when they "Wave the Flag " or you will miss out! Youroo! !
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I was thinkin the northern part of the lower part of Michigan unless you think the upper part it that much better. Thanks again.
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #8

We prefer the UP of Michigan and Lake Superior to Lake Michigan, but every RVer has different likes and dislikes. Too many cities on a circuit of Lake Michigan compared to a Lake Superior loop. We like more remote, less populated places when we travel.

We did a Lake Superior northwestern and southwestern shore trip in the fall of 2016 and we are going to do a complete circuit of the lake in late May-early June of 2019. We really like Copper Harbor and the shore of the Keweenaw Peninsula, but we still have yet to visit Isle Royale NP and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. So those places and Sault Saint Marie are at the top of our to-do list next year.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

I liken the UP to be a lot like the Colorado mountains, even though there aren't any real mountains in the UP.

Copper Harbor is awesome.

Plus, the UP is loaded with waterfalls!

If you are in to boating or dirt biking/atv's, or just camping out in the woods...then definately the northern lower peninsula!
Old 09-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post

Thanks
We stayed at Indigo Bluffs in Empire MI. This is right out side of Sleeping Bear Dunes and near Glen Harbor MI. The resort has two sides to stay in depending on trailer length and what amenities you want. The site cost are different depending on which side you pick.

I would use RV park reviews .Com for follow up on different camp grounds in the area around Traverse City MI. There are 23 different camp grounds in the area which offers different amenities that you may like.

Book early the campgrounds fill up very early for the summer months. When we go to MI., I usually book in Jan/Feb of that year we want to travel to MI.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

What IS in upper: ANIMALS. Day and night. Lots of them. Deer could care less about you. Go off the road and you have a HUGE ( very BIGLY) problem. Use your main daylight hours wisely. I have motorcycled through there several times on my Big HD Ultra Classic and previous Gold Wing. Deer come out of nowhere in an INSTANT....dusk to dawn is pure HELL riding or pulling a camper. You can see and sense the eyes looking at you. The beauty outweighs the risk.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #12

Escanaba.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #13

We spend the summer in the Eastern UP, Cedarville. We have seen the northern lights from there. It is geared for seniors and it is very rural. Animals, wolf, coyote, sand hill cranes, to many deer and even bear. We don't see coyote or wolfs in Texas. There are many but they keep out of site. In the UP they stop by the road and stare at you! Good luck. MI is a very nice state.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #14

We plan a trip this summer from Pennsylvania up through Michigan to the Mackinaw Island area then west to Wisconsin so we can arrive in East Troy (SW of Milwaukee) by the 4th of July.

At this point we plan to stay near Mackinaw Island for a couple days, spend a couple days in Rapid River, and then head over to Sturgeon Bay (WI) area for a couple days. Any suggestions for places to stay as we travel north from Toledo through the LP of Michigan or west along the lake through the UP?

We love good fish fries so please share any great fish fry restaurants along our route.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
The Lake Michigan Coast has many neat towns to visit and good wilderness sites.
Make sure to check out Saugatuck, Holland, Ludington, Frankfurt, Traverse City & Petoskey if you like "lake towns". The Michigan State parks are very nice. lots of private parks with full amenities.

The UP has few towns and lots of wilderness - we looped Lake Superior last year
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...57697383724272

Both are great trips.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
The Lake Michigan Coast has many neat towns to visit and good wilderness sites.
Make sure to check out Saugatuck, Holland, Ludington, Frankfurt, Traverse City & Petoskey if you like "lake towns". The Michigan State parks are very nice. lots of private parks with full amenities.

The UP has few towns and lots of wilderness - we looped Lake Superior last year
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...57697383724272

Both are great trips.
Do we have to worry much about bears in campgrounds in the UP? We have three dogs which we walk quite a bit in our camping areas and along the lake.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Both the Upper and Lower Peninsulas have black bear, so you should keep an eye on your dogs and not leave food out unattended.

We do not travel with dogs so others may be able to provide more information.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #18

Well that's an interesting thought. I live in Michigan and camp in the lower and upper peninsula's. Are there bears in Michigan, yes. Do I worry about bears in Michigan, uh no.

We actually ran into a black bear while kayaking the south side of Grand Island in Munising. So it's definitely possible to encounter a bear here in Michigan. I wouldn't be on high alert though.
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad10281 View Post
Well that's an interesting thought. I live in Michigan and camp in the lower and upper peninsula's. Are there bears in Michigan, yes. Do I worry about bears in Michigan, uh no.

We actually ran into a black bear while kayaking the south side of Grand Island in Munising. So it's definitely possible to encounter a bear here in Michigan. I wouldn't be on high alert though.
Just leave some food out and around your campsite...you'll see some bears!

And locked doors won't keep them outside if they are hungry.

Don't mess around and think they won't surprise you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BearStanding-P1070754.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	194842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear-P1070726.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	194844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear&GarbageCanP1070763.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	194845  
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #20

I have tent camped in Glacier with Griz and with black bears sniffing around our tent so I am keenly aware of safety when hiking in bear county. (We'd eat a mile away from our tent and hang our food and used clothes from a tree limb, then hike back to tent in clean clothes with no food scent.)

But this trip we will be in our fifth wheel (not a tent) and stay at campgrounds (not in the back country) so I assume that the camgrounds keep their dumpsters locked up and discourage regular bear visits. My concern is that we could be surprised by a bear while we walk our three greyhounds in the countryside and -- as animals can get excited -- there could be a bad interaction before we can get back to a place of safety. I am sure the local campground folks can steer us int eh right direction. But I will probably bring some bear spray just be be extra cautious.

Looking forward to seeing Mackinac island and the UP.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel