Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Member since 2013

Northern AR White River Trout Fishing

We are looking to book some time in late summer or fall of 2014 in Northern Arkansas, particularly along the White River between Bull Shoals Lake and Batesville, AR. We're hoping to find something with full hookups, but an electric site with water and dump station nearby is ok, too. Main focus of the trip is to trout fish on the White, especially where we can wade fish. We've heard a lot of good things about the area around Calico Rock, but campgrounds or RV parks in that area seems to be scarce. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Mike-n-Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

I am aware of 2 RV parks in Cotter, Ark. The Blue Heron and Denton Ferry RV parks. Both are right on White River. I have stayed at Denton Ferry and can recommend it. We stayed there last Jan for a trout trip. I drove by the Blue Heron, it looked ok. It is also on the river. Good luck, there are some nice trout in that river.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Member since 2013

Thanks for the advice- found their web sites and we're going to check both of them out for our trip.
M&S
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

If you could get a reservation, Bull Shoals River State Park is a great place. Just a mile or so down from the dam. Wade fishing is always dependent on the number of generators they are running. The park has a marina and you can rent a river boat and motor if the water is too high for wading.

This is in my back yard. The other two campgrounds are right on the river with few trees. Denton Ferry has better access for wading I believe. There is also good public access upriver from there at Wildcat Shoals. The two campgrounds are just a few miles apart. And they are both just above Cotter. There are places to get access to the river just below Cotter that would be an easy drive.

Check out the State park though, it's very popular.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
pdoshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Member since 2013

Thanks for the post- there's just no substitute for getting info directly from someone who knows the area! I saw from the Denton Ferry pic gallery that there isn't much shade, and in another thread someone posted that the setting sun hits the door side of campers on most sites. Couldn't tell much about Blue Heron from the photos, but in late July, shade would definitely be a plus.
Thanks again!
M&S
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Until late Sept you will want shade for sure. There was the White River Campground at the old Cotter bridge that has lots of trees but the owner died last month, so it may not be open. The phone number is (870) 453-2332. There is no wade access at the campground but there is just across the bridge and down a couple of blocks.

Also, there is a Corp of Eng. campground on North Fork just below the dam. There is wade fishing available there too. It's a short river that flows into the White above Calico Rock. I've fished from a boat around Calico Rock but never saw many wading that far down river.

The state park is the best if you can get it. The other two campgrounds are new in the last 10 years so not much shade.

There are a few private resorts that have a few RV spots too.

Good luck on your trip.

If you want to float with a guide I know a couple of them too.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
Member since 2013

That is great information, thanks very much! I've been emailing with one of the private resorts, Rainbow Drive Resort, north of Cotter. They only have 3 RV sites, but full hookups and shade on each. According to their site, you can wade fish at the resort unless they are running generators, then boats are available to rent, which sounds good.
Just hit the AR parks website for the first time, having a little trouble finding many pics of the camping areas, but I did find the number to call them to see what's available. We're supposed to get 5-7" of snow tomorrow, so I think I'll call them when it starts- good midwinter therapy!
Thanks for your help,
M&S
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

We always stay at Jacks Fishing Resort, near Mountain View. 30and 50 amp service, wifi,cable and full hook ups for about $25 per night. Great staff. My husband has been trout fishing there twice a year for 40 years.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #9

I was going to mention that one too. Never stayed there, Mt. View is a neat place in general. You have the cave nearby and bluegrass music in town in addition to the river.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #10

We were just below Beaver this summer. Got caught down river wading once because the flow schedule published was wrong. We had a good hike getting back. Caught a 4 lb. brown on a hopper very early. The rest were stocker rainbows. We stayed at an RV park on the west side of the lake. It wasn't very nice. I can't even remember the name of the place but everything was run down and dirty. If it's not too far out of yopur way, Beaver's Bend S P in S. E Oklahoma is nice in winter, but in summer it's over run with people doing what they shouldn't... ie. swimming, bait fishing, etc. in the trophy area and so on. We only went once in summer and learned our lesson. We'll be there for 5 days beginning Feb 15... Good luck and enjoy!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

Bull Shouls State Park is about the nicest park we have stayed in. Very clean,nice staff and a beautiful river. Great trout fishing also
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Member since 2013

When did you stay, and do you recall what site you were on?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

We were there June 11 and stayed for five days. I can't remember the site # but it was a pull thur in the first loop on the left after the park office. In the morn you can walk across the river water is about 48 deg all the time,late afternoon there is a fog that rolls in and out on the river. Very beautiful place
Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
Member since 2013

Thanks- heard about how pretty the mist is when it comes up. We're booked in site 72, so we're hoping it works out well. Thanks for the information.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #15

Have a good time
Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

I just spent three days at Bull Shoals State Park in site 73. Only water and electric, but it is right on the river and is a beautiful view. There is a dump station. The 178 Club in Bull Shoals is a great place to eat as is Gaston's Resort right down the road.
rjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
Member since 2013

Sounds like we lucked into a nice location then- we have site 71 booked in early August. Will definitely try the 178 club- thanks for the tip!