Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #1

Ohio to Glacier and points beyond --- Adventures with "Rooby"

We are heading out soon for a 3 week trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Devils Tower, etc. We plan on taking a northern route over the Mackinaw Bridge, through Duluth. This route adds just a 100 miles than the most direct route, but it provides us an opportunity to visit the UP along the way.

Here's where the adventure begins. We haven't made 1 reservation yet at any campground.

We aren't too picky when it come to CGs because it is what is around the areas that we are most interested in experiencing.

With this in mind, my questions are:

Are we crazy for attempting this trip without reservations?

Should i be setting the expectation that we will be camping under the lights at Walmart?

Interested in hearing about CGs to try first during this "roll of the dice" trip.

Thanks

Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #2

I took a trip out that way last year, but did not get to take the TT. From what I saw, there are lots of campgrounds in the areas, and on the highways. I would say you should have a good chance of finding something. Enjoy your trip, it is a great place to visit, and the places are beautiful.

2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Yellowstone and Glacier areas are going to your major problems, the CG's around those areas book up, most are probably all ready full for this years season. You will be betting on either a cancellation or an overflow spot. The rest of the trip you should be ok, however the northern part of MI books up pretty full, so you may be calling a few CG's before you find a spot, if you hold off until the MI U.P. for your stop there are fewer CG's so you may need to drive a little further than planned to get into an open spot.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Probably want reservations for Fri and Sat nites.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

I happen to own an RV site in Cedarville, UP, MI, and it will be empty until mid to late August. If you are having trouble in the eastern section of the UP and need a site, please let me know. Have a great trip and Happy Trails.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

If you have and iPhone get the APP: AllStays Camp and RV. This app is great for finding all things related to camping along your route. RV parks, fuel, RV service, low clearances, rest areas, etc. It is best if your copilot uses it while you drive. It is a little hard to read while driving. There might be one available for other phones.

I just returned from just about that same trip. If you don't wait too long to pull in for the evening you should have no problem. Except in YNP and Glacier. There are lots of National Forest Service campgrounds around YNP and Glacier, but they will have no hook-ups.

Have fun.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372
I happen to own an RV site in Cedarville, UP, MI, and it will be empty until mid to late August. If you are having trouble in the eastern section of the UP and need a site, please let me know. Have a great trip and Happy Trails.
this is why i like camping so much. the people you meet along the way are awesome! we really appreciate the offer. we depart sat. 7/21 from cleveland. we will check the distance and may take you up on your very generous offer. THANK YOU
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5
If you have and iPhone get the APP: AllStays Camp and RV. This app is great for finding all things related to camping along your route. RV parks, fuel, RV service, low clearances, rest areas, etc. It is best if your copilot uses it while you drive. It is a little hard to read while driving. There might be one available for other phones.

I just returned from just about that same trip. If you don't wait too long to pull in for the evening you should have no problem. Except in YNP and Glacier. There are lots of National Forest Service campgrounds around YNP and Glacier, but they will have no hook-ups.

Have fun.
i will be downloading that app tonight. thanks for the tipabout the forest service options. i definitely want to try the totally no hook up approach at some point along the trip.

Got to be careful about how many nifty apps i load on the DW's ipad and iphone though. it is making it too easy for her to tell me where to go........

Days Camped 2012 = 42