Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #41

out of gas

Just look at it this way, you would have run out of gas in the most beautiful state in the union!!! Very friendly people would have stopped and helped you. Myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #42

It is the middle of nowhere

We just got through traveling lots of state Hwy's in Montana. Luckily I replaced the puny 26 gallon tank on my F350 with a Titan 50 gallon - otherwise, we would have been in the same boat. We traveled roads were we didn't see another car in either direction for over 50 miles. It's beautiful country and if you like peace and solitude,it's nice. If you need services or frequent stops its not very friendly. The picture is common for lots of the highways. We literally just stopped in the middle of the road to take pictures - no worry about traffic.

Enjoy your trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33139024_1662446697142891_8429752639939411968_n (1).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	173833  

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #43

Ok I have a question I don’t mean to be rude but for those with the larger tanks and yes I want one unless you fill up before you start your trip each day how does a bigger tank keep you from being stranded. After all most people wait till near 1/4 tank before refill I said most. I would think having the bigger tank one would be inclined to be overconfident in how far they could go. Again maybe it’s jealousy but I don’t see the difference except having the smaller tank I know I have to stop more frequently
Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

I have a 3 hour bladder, so we plan on fueling about the same time. I carry the fuel cans in case there is no convenient fueling place. It will get me another 120 miles or so if I need it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Ok I have a question I don’t mean to be rude but for those with the larger tanks and yes I want one unless you fill up before you start your trip each day how does a bigger tank keep you from being stranded. After all most people wait till near 1/4 tank before refill I said most. I would think having the bigger tank one would be inclined to be overconfident in how far they could go. Again maybe it’s jealousy but I don’t see the difference except having the smaller tank I know I have to stop more frequently
One who waits till 1/4 tank is a fool, a TT and if you have a head wind gauge will drop faster then you think.me as I drive along and gas tank goes down my water tank fills up so I stop every 3 hours
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #46

The psychology of it

Quote:
Well, you expressed the answer to your question--almost--and just missed the last step.

The key was where you stated "After all most people wait till near 1/4 tank before refill..."

Now take this a step further. 1/4 of a 20 gallon tank is 5 gallons. But 1/4 of a 60 gallon tank is 15 gallons. So if the guy with the 60 gallon tank starts down a fuelless section with 1/4 tank, he's got 15 gallons to go with. Only 5 for the guy with the 20 gallon tank.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #47

Just because I carry 86 gallons of diesel doesn't mean I drive until I get to a 1/4 tank before filling up. I fill up at every stop we make for the day. I use google earth to have a look at where we will be and then look for stations that sell diesel and how easy it is to get into the station towing a 35 foot 5er. On Highway #2 there isn't a problem form Michigan to Shelby Montana where we turn north to go back into Canada at Sweetgrass/Coutts crossing.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #48

Back in 1971 I pulled into Winnet mt on a Sunday morning running on fumes looking for an open gas station. I had been to a roping in Jordan the day before and thought I had enough gas to get to Lewistown but that Chevy 454, a headwind, three cowboys, three horses in the trailer caused the gas gauge to go down faster than I planned.

Nothing open at all so I was planning on calling a friend in Grass Range to bring us some gas when a County Mountie pulled up and asked what we were up to. Told him our problem and he got ahold of the guy who owned the gas station and he came down and unlocked the place and got us filled up. After talking he said he knew who my folks were. Asked if he would sell us some beer too and he said no, gas, beer and Cowboys is lethal.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #49
Scoundrel

Quote:
Many vehicles today also compute Distance-To-Empty (DTE) which works pretty well while travelling at highway speeds.
On a related note, I've never owned a vehicle with a big gas tank until I bought my F-150 with the 36 gallon tank. On the highway (not towing) I'm getting a smidgen over 21mpg which is incredible range - for me at least.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #50

Two summers ago the DW and I were doing some traveling out west. We were camping outside of Moab UT and visiting Canyonlands and Arches NP. Next we were heading west to Bryce Canyon and Zion NP. At the junction of US 191 and I-70(Crescent Junction) there was a sign posted that said the next gas was 129 miles. With my rig I get about 8-10 mpg with a 16 gallon tank. Needless to say I was on pins and needles until I saw the Love's gas sign appear. I made it with 1 1/2 gallons to spare. Like I read someplace, “An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.
rocknroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #51

I ran out of fuel one time in my life. I was 16 years old in the mid '70s, 11pm on a Saturday night coming home alone. We lived in a rural area and I walked about 7-8 miles home in the dark. 2 lane country roads, no street lights, no flashlight, had 3-4 country dogs scare the heck out of me. Found a good stick after the first one! lol Walking alone in the dark gave this then 16 year old kid a lot to think about, funny how every little noise will play tricks with your mind. Life lesson for me. Needless to say, I am thinking about and actively seeking a fuel stop at 1/2 tank, although I am much better prepared for that walk now.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #52

We were at the same intersection, I missed the sign DW saw it and I immediately pulled into a station. Only had half a tank when I pulled in. Getting 8-9 miles a gallon.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #53

You make an excellent point for both our arguments but I would have to say that you missed the point of being overconfident but in your excellent argument you also make mine the driver of the twenty gallon tank knows they have to find fuel ASAP and now have twenty gallons to start the long stretch of road without fuel. The driver with the 60 gallon tank knows they have 15 gallons and pushes onward hoping to find that cheaper fuel ( after all the last fuel stop for extended miles usually charge a higher rate and 45 gallons at a 20 cent or higher per gallon adds up ) or doesn’t feel the need or want the inconvenience at the time or just knows how far they can go and are confident they have enough you name the reason why they don’t stop . However you’re point is very valid as well
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #54

Quote:
The PO's very 1st post says he has a 24 gallon tank and gets 8mph for a total of 192 miles till empty. His trip was 249 miles between gas stations. Sooo, a bigger tank would have got him to the next station.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #55

Lots of psychologies at work here

Quote:
You make an excellent point for both our arguments but I would have to say that you missed the point of being overconfident but in your excellent argument you also make mine the driver of the twenty gallon tank knows they have to find fuel ASAP and now have twenty gallons to start the long stretch of road without fuel. The driver with the 60 gallon tank knows they have 15 gallons and pushes onward hoping to find that cheaper fuel ( after all the last fuel stop for extended miles usually charge a higher rate and 45 gallons at a 20 cent or higher per gallon adds up ) or doesn’t feel the need or want the inconvenience at the time or just knows how far they can go and are confident they have enough you name the reason why they don’t stop . However you’re point is very valid as well
I think you are responding to my post #46.

I agree that there are a couple of psychologies at work here.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If you can find a replacement tank for my 2017 Nissan Titan 5.6 L GAS King cab, I'll buy you the best steak dinner you ever had.
NOBODY makes one that I can find.
Diesel yes, Gas no.
I'm not talking about an in the bed aux tank. Don't want that because we haul 2 bikes in there all the time.
I'd need an under the bed tank and as far as I can find there ain't one out there.

Just an idea would the Titan Sidekick 15 gallon Fuel Tank help you out any ? I know it's not an under the bed solution like you are looking for it can be mounted on any corner of the bed and doesn't take up any of your regular bed space.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #57

I'm glad you caught that.... but the BIGGEST wonder of this story is the fact you are using BING maps.

Are you the 12th user now? I bet Microsoft is having a party now they have a dozen users!
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply.

Apparently Bing failed to show a couple of stops until I zoomed way in.
So I guess I wouldn't have ran out of gas and died in Montanna!!

Still plan on taking the 50 mi longer route with more interstate and us hwy.

Happy Trails!
Mike and everyone-- Montana epilog:
In my post 1 I said I had a 24 gallon tank. It's actually a whopping 26 gallons!
At my average MPG that adds at least 14 more miles and possibly as much as 20 more miles!! Hah!

We actually did take the 2 lane across Montana.

We needed to get from Roosevelt National Park ND to GreatFalls MT.
The only logical route is MT 200.
The interstate is many miles farther.
I was very concerned about available gas stops along MT 200 but Mike said there were stops.
We were still on the fence about the "safe longer route on I90" or the road less traveled MT 200. We saw a rest stop just inside Eastern Montana and went in. There was a little old lady sitting behind the desk knitting. She perked up when I came in.
She said she had grown up in the area and MT 200 was "the only way to go".
She proceeded to hand me a Montana road map and listed all the towns along MT 200 that had gas.

Encouraged by that new knowledge we stayed on MT 200 basically all the way to Great Falls.
Parts of 200 were wide open Montana big sky straight as a string and gently rolling. We flew along at 70+ and it was a dream. Other parts were choppy, full of cracks and left/right waves that made us wonder about the decision to go that way. I'd say it was 50/50 good road and not so good.
I'd go that way again but MT 200 is a challenge in places.
One of the gas stops was in a tiny town- about 2 blocks long. I drove thru and did not see a gas station! Starting to get worried I spotted some adults and kids in front of a little church at the end- literally a dead end road- of town. Summer bible school I guess. I swung around and stopped and walked over. A nice man told me there was a gas pump back at the tire store.... I went back a block and found a really old looking building with a tire sign and a single pump out front. The pump looked very old.... It was sitting in a large puddle of water as it had rained the night before.... I gassed up hoping it was "dry gas"! and we were back on MT 200 heading west....

Anyway it was all part of the adventure!

While on this trip we "discovered" the navigation system in my new Titan actually had a screen for POIs. Figured out that meant points of interest. That screen lists gas stations, rest stops, restaurants, parks and I don't remember what else.
AFter the fact I found that it actually listed the little gas pump and could have taken us right to it!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #59

I'm glad you posted your enjoyable experience and that it all worked out. That area is beautiful.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #60

Glad you enjoyed your experience! I’ve followed your post since day one and confess I’ve shouted at some of the posts who gave you advice that was way off the mark, or at least pretty darn inaccurate. I’m extremely familiar with that whole route and just shook my head at some of the advice-I think some of it from folks who either never actually traveled it or tried to help based on a map or program that hadn’t either. Lesson to me was to take all the expert advice on here with a grain of salt and do my own research and verifications. There are great folks on here who are trying to help, that’s for certain but there are some trying to be authorities who just aren’t. You’ve had a great trip and that’s wonderful-either route would have given you some pretty neat memories.