Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Oshkosh WI

I'm heading up to Oshkosh next month for Air Venture and was wondering if there was any good intel on campgrounds? I'll be on the clock so I'd like to stay fairly close to the show.

My google-fu has come up with Circle-R-Campground and Hickory Oaks. Reviews on the first aren't great and he's only got 15A service available.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

If you do not mind dry camping, stay on the grounds. It is the best run event in the United States. I would take my 8X year old father. Clean showers and flush toilets. If you have a generator there is a section for that. There is nothing like waking up to the ultra lights flying around the camping area. There are paper boys that deliver the paper to your site.
jpforsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks JP. I'm not an EAA member, I'm FAA and will be working for part of the week (not pink shirting sadly). I checked out the show site a week or so ago and they're charging you for a reservation from the day you make it through your stay for electric and water. Seems goofy and expensive.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

They charge you for the time it is open. But give you a refund for the days you do not stay. EAA is an organization worth joining to keep the spirit of general aviation alive. You can join as you sign up for your site.
jpforsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Oshkosh WI

Sleepy Hollow Campground is located right against the EAA grounds. Somewhat cramped but you can't get much closer. My guess is they will be booked ??

The EAA campground is where we stay. Just pull in and pay at gate. Drive out into a 200+ acre field and find a place to park. No hookups but they have a dump station at the south end.

EAA have many electric sites also. Never tried to get one of those but those site are closer to the show central. Not sure the system on those sites? Think there is a set rate or first come first served?

You pay for the week and if you leave early they refund you whatever days you don't use. Short walk to the south or main gate.

They have shuttle buses running all the time.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

Thanks fellas, I'll look further in to staying on site. I just didn't want to get all the way up there and not have a place to park.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD_Gunner View Post
Thanks fellas, I'll look further in to staying on site. I just didn't want to get all the way up there and not have a place to park.

I don't see that as an issue. I've been for the last 5 year. Always park at Schollar field which is the EAA campground. I've never had a problem finding a place. When it rains big. It becomes an issue but I've always have found a spot.

Russell
Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Thanks. Maybe I'll see ya there.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

Not sure yet if I'm going. Been going for the grandson last several year. He is going with the Purdue University Aviation team this year. They have a house rented. Granddad kicked to the curb. Lol

Russell