Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Padre Island National Seashore Camping

We are planning a Texas trip for a couple of weeks in November. We like to dry camp and would like to be Gulf beach side.
This will be our first trip to that area. Looking for tips, routes, reviews and things to do.
We will be coming from Arkansas.
Madison: Cocker Spaniel Queen of the Home
Jrcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

The Texas Gulf beaches are gorgeous in the fall. I have camped for years on the beach in my Class A motorhome. The Padre Island National Seashore has no rv ammenities. You will be camping on the sand. If you decide you want to go to town, it will be about 30 minutes to the closest store depending on how far down the beach you camp. Keep in mind you can also beach camp on most beaches in Texas. We tend to beach camp on Mustand Island close to Port Aransas so we can enjoy the town. Of course, Port Aransas took a hard hit from Harvey but there are restaurants and a grocery store back in business.
Things to watch out for on any beach is the weather and the surf. Any storm anywhere in the gulf even close to Yucatan can put the surf in the dunes.
Other issues include finding fresh water and a dump station. Again, back to Port Aransas because there are several rv parks. A few days on the beach and then a couple days in a park to dump and refill works for us.
My wife and I enjoy beach camping more than any other place. Waking to a ocean sunrise and being just feet from the water is amazing.

Lastly, beach driving on Padre Island National Seashore can be tricky due to soft sand once you leave the payment. They have a daily hotline that gives you beach conditions. (361) 949-8175. I believe the number is down for now due to storm damage at the park.
Please message me for more info if you like.
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #3

You definitely want to go on the Texas State Parks website to find the status of the places you're interested in. The PINS park, as mentioned, is primitive and first come, first serve; but there is a welcome center nearby with a little store for the basics. A dump station is also available. The beach is very nice and the road to get there is finally finished with construction.
Mustang Island and Goose Island State Parks are two of my favorites. They have power and water and are well run, but currently closed due to the hurricane.
Here's some links:

Padre Island Nat. Seashore - https://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm
Texas State Parks Alerts - https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/p...k-alert-status
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Here is what you have to watch for this time of year.
http://www.kristv.com/story/36519295...hes-to-driving
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping