Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Palestine Tx to Mansfield La on 84

We frequently travel from a little north of Fort Worth to Marksville La. We have always taken 20 to Shreveport and then 49 and cut over south of Alexandria.

We're going in a few weeks and I was playing around on Google Maps and it suggested going down to Corsicana, Palestine and cutting across to Mansfield La on 84 then picking up 49.

If possible would someone tell me about US-84 and/or the Nacogdoches/Lufkin region. Roads, places to stop, camping, ect..

Looks like it might be a nice drive going that way.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

I have driven that route many times over the past 40 yrs. Ok roads and not a lot of traffic. If you like local diners each town along the way has several places bbq is the most common in that area. There is an up scale rv place near Palestine but for the life of me I don't remember the name but it is set up with a high end restaurant. Drive careful as that area is really patrol by the local sheriff departments. An as you cross into Louisiana at Logansport the local marshal is a cousin also don't speed - she does give tickets even to cousin.
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, if you think of the RV park please let me know.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

If you like scenic country roads that route will work. If you just want to get there without a lot of hassles takes the I-20 route. I prefer the latter.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

We've done the Shreveport route several times, thought taking a slower scenic route would be a good change of pace.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

The name of the park is KE Bushman RV park one of the trip reviews is - Excellent location to Bullard and Tyler, Texas... and the Kiepersol Winery, Distillery, and Restaurant. Nice large full-service RV sites. Not many shade trees (trees are still quite young). Walking trail, fishing pond (catch and release), and dog runs.
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We've done the Shreveport route several times, thought taking a slower scenic route would be a good change of pace.
In that case take your time and ride the texas state railroad round-trip between Palestine and rusk. I'm not sure but I seem to recall a few RV slots at the terminal in palestine.

Edit: The campground is in Rusk, not palestine, but is currently closed for renovation. But there are other RV parks in the area.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

Cool

I'm in Lufkin and see just about every camp ground around is full or close to it.

There are still some people here from Hurricane Harvey so check ahead before deciding on a place to camp.

That would definitely be a more scenic route to take than I-20.
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

We stayed in the KOA in Rusk. It is very ice. Also the Texas State Railrod in Rusk has a campground that used to be a state park. If you want to be away from others, you might consider it.
kenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
MaddyCatBus

We stayed in Palestine Texas last winter when we had to make the run back north earlier than we planned. We were coming in late (after 9pm) and called ahead and the owner was very accomodating, turned on lights at our site so we could find it and gave us great directions. The name is Palestine RV Park on the outskirts of Palestine. 903 729 2977 if I can read my own handwriting. We would stay there again.

Joan and Glenn
Enerloss is offline   Reply With Quote