Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Peoria to Custer/ Hill City area

We are planning an epic trip. Hoping it will not be epic fail .
For one leg we have friends who just moved to Peoria iL(not even sure where yet) and we plan on stopping on our way to the Mt Rushmore area.
The question I have is- what is the route those of you with experience would take to get from Peoria to Custer/ Hill City area?
I am given the choices AAA of going west I 80 then north on 29 or north on 35 then I 90 west.
MapQuest gives three routes calls one 1 80W, one I 20 and one I 90. the time/ mileage seems similar.

This will be just traveling through but we will stop every 300- 400 miles and stay perhaps if there are attractions . Best way to avoid trouble spots etc.
Oh yeah food is good - love any local specialty recommendations.
Thank you for any help.
cowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

We headed that direction a couple of years ago.....took I-74 from Peoria and headed northwest into Iowa. We stopped at the film site for the movie "Field of Dreams." Enjoyed that. Then we stayed at Pikes Peak St Pk at McGregor, IA. We really enjoyed that stay and it is a lovely view overlooking the Mississippi River. It is a pretty area. Then we cut across Minnesota and took the interstate that cuts across the state of South Dakota, seeing the Corn Palace, Wall Drugs, and The Badlands. We stopped for a night at a nice city park on the Missouri River in South Dakota.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #3

That's interesting, thank you. The State park sounds very nice.
That looks like a more scenic route if I have that straight. That would be more along the lines of the 74/80/35/90 route that was an option.
Something to keep in mind. We were thinking of staying more on the interstate as it looks like two nights at the least of just travel in that area and we hadn't picked any must see spots there (yet).
Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

Now that I have my atlas in front of me, I can be more specific. We took 74 from Peoria to the Quad-Cities, then took 61 north to Dubuque. The Field of Dreams Film site is just west of Dubuque, close to Dyersville. If you have seen the movie, we thought it was a neat place to stop. Then we headed north to McGregor to Pikes Peak St Pk. We stayed there about 5 nights as it was over Labor Day. But there was lots to see in that area and crossing over to Prairie du Chen, Wisconsin. (try fresh cheese curds if you never have). I am not sure which route we took to get up to I-90 in Minnesota. Suggestion: We were going to stop at the SPAM museum in Austin, MN, but elected not to due to time. We wish we had as so many people have said it is worth the stop.
Seeing the Corn Palace in Mitchell, is a "South Dakota-must-see" for decades. If you haven't seen it, it is worth the stop. We spent the night at a city park in Chamberlain, SD. We had a site right on the Missouri River--great sunset view.
Wall Drugs in Wall, SD has also been a 'must see' site for decades. We can check it off our list but wouldn't stop again.
The Badlands was fascinating and definitely stop at the prairie dug-out homesite that is right off the exit that goes to The Badlands. exit 131

2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

I just got back from a 9 day trip to Custer State Park in the Black Hills. We went out I-80 and up thru Waterloo, Iowa and caught I-90 near the Albert Lea, Mn. 2000 miles round trip. There is a lot of flooding in Iowa and Minn right now and a lot of state parks are closed out there.
There are a ton of places to stay out there depending on what amenities you are looking for. We have a Roo and stayed in Custer State Park (electric only) but great camp sites. I was not overly impressed with the Hill City area but a lot of nice areas around there.

I pulled the Roo with my Trailblazer which is within weight limits and never felt unsafe, but pulling that big sail behind me into the wind I got 7.5mpg on the way out there and 11mpg on the way back! I am now shopping for a pickup to have more power that my Trailblazer can put out.

The Corn Palace is good although we did not stop this trip (seen in in 2000) and Wall Drug is OK. A lot of junk but good doughnuts and 5 cent coffee! The scenic drive in the Badlands is spectacular and it was interesting to camp there for a night. We stopped at the prairie dug-out as well and the Minute Man missile site is near the same location.

There is a lot to see in the Black Hills. Check out this website for planning ideas Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota | Home of Mount Rushmore. I went to Jewel Cave which I would highly recommend. There is construction on the road going on out there right now so there is a little delay driving there. The tours are first come first serve so be prepared to wait an hour or 2 between purchasing you tickets and going on the tour. The hiking is great and the scenic drives are amazing. Be sure to plan your route as there are roads that will not accommodate a vehicle wider that 8'-4" and some of the turns are very sharp.

I made good use of my surge protector while there as one night during a thunder storm at Custer State Park. All of a sudden the power in the camper went out and I noticed that we were the only ones without power. I went out and checked and power was getting to the surge protector but not the trailer. After a few minutes, the power came back on so I believe that the surge protector did something to protect the trailer.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

Also check out the Allstays camping app for your phone. It is at great tool while traveling especially if your navigator knows how to use the app.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Thank you both. Yes I did find something about the SPAM museum - I actually can't even stand the smell but hubby loves it! Cheese, now that is another story!! Yum. I will have to recheck the mileage/times but it looks very close that way. So that would basically be 61 to 90. How was 61 to drive can you remember? Something to do along the way at least.
Now the other way sounds like 35 to 90, one we were considering. Yes we were watching the flooding, it is just hard to tell without getting the local view.
We thought once we got onto 90 we would stop at Mitchell then take the Badland loop through the park on 240(?) and hit Wall (or the wall by then). Then on to Custer/Hill city after we decide on a campground. That is one part we were about 90% planned - it is just the getting to that part that has me undecided. We can then spend some time there but our final destination is California so we can't fully explore these areas (this time).
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

If you don't already have a planned place to stay in Mitchell, I recommend R&R Campground. Small overnight place....nice and quiet, good level sites, they are gravel with lots of trees. The Corn Palace is in the process of changing their exterior so there wasn't a whole lot to see, it's kind of in mid stream, the inside is pretty much a huge gift shop.
We just came back from that area a couple of days ago. Hill City is a very cool place to visit. If you are staying in Hill City for a night or two hit Keystone as well and I highly recommend the night program at Mt Rushmore, it doesn't start until about 9 pm though and lasts for about an hour. Simply put, Mt Rushmore is awesome day or night.
Wall Drug is Wall Drug, but if you have never been there .....it's worth a stop

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Would go I74 north from Peoria - I 80 west -I 29 north -I 94 west.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #10

That was option number 3. Can you say why - traffic, avoidance, speed or whatever? I mean to pass up the SPAM museum you gotta have a reason
The only thing I did see on Youtube showed rt 29 seemed very rough.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #11

R & R Campground - We will take that under advisement. Depending on our route and progress along that route our camping will be determined. So far I have a list of places by preference all along our route and plan on playing it by ear, calling day of.
Hopefully we will end up with something.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Happy Keystone Owner

I would take I380 up to 20 over to 35N just to get off I80 sooner and not deal with all the wind and truck traffic. I hate Iowa 80 just about as much as Nebraska 80

Sent from space

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

We went up I-380 between I-80 and I-90. It was a good route. There is a fair amount of construction on I-90 right now but nothing serious. Just two lanes for a portion of the route.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #14

I have read 80 is full of trucks and other disadvantages. The 80 to 380 to 90 looks like it might be a keeper. We could always get on 218 - could we? - and get to Austin for the SPAM museum, depending on our timing. I told my husband if not he can buy a can and use his imagination
Are there any good local places you found on that route or that are known for good eats besides the SPAM?
Looking into the AllStays app as well.
Thank you all and for any other suggestions
Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #15

We ate at Al's Oasis. Look at Alsoasis.com

2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #16

Camping near Peoria

We finally got an address for Peoria. Does anyone have information on
Mt Hawley RV Park or Mill Point campground?
They look to be the closet to our friends house.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #17

Our last trip to the bike rally we stayed at Elkhorn Ridge rv park. It is just outside of Spearfish and a super nice park. Short drive to all the attractions in the area.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Happy Keystone Owner

Mt Hawley is a mobile home park and mill point was an absolute dump 20 years ago the last time I saw it.

Sent from space

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #19

Ya know that was what I was afraid of. Maybe they have a long driveway
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

What about Jubilee St Pk on 74 just west of Peoria? I don't know how close you want to be.

2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143