Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Possum Kingdom SP recently ?

has anyone been to Possum Kingdom SP recently ? We're thinking about heading up that way this week for a few night's stay but seem to remember they had wild fires in that area

thanks.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Hanging out for an answer. Been wanting to know myself.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

I might just have to take a day trip out there to check it out this weekend... uhmm.... "I am ON a mission!" Anybody been to Mineral Wells, Dinosaur Valley, or Lake Whitney?
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #4

if no replies I'm gonna call them and/or look for another destination.....Bill
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #5

Not sure about damage from the fires but the water supply at PKSP is non potable due to high salt content so make sure you bring plenty of your own drinking water.

Park Pick: Possum Kingdom Recovers From Fire | July 2012 | TPW magazine
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

That's a great article slide! Thanks for that.

alphadog, we stayed at Tres Rios when we went to Dinosaur Valley, but did visit the park and walked in the dinosaurs footprints. It has been a couple of years, but it is a really neat place. Getting down to the river and the dino prints can be somewhat challenging for the "out of shape", but certainly worth it once you get there.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

thank you for posting the above article.....Bill
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #8

You're welcome guys. Even though that park is only 90 minutes or so away from us we haven't been there in years. As a matter of fact, we haven't been since we graduated from our tent camping days. From what I remember, it is a beautiful park. If you decide to go, please post your experience. We would love to go back to this park someday, just been hesitant due to the potable water issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
..just been hesitant due to the potable water issue.
that's never been a problem for us as we always carry bottled water (for us and the dogs) (never drink city water nor do we travel with water in our on-board tank).....Bill
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

I think you're on to something there Bill, I'll have to soften my stance a little and reconsider this park. An extra case of bottled water for the ice maker is an easy way to make sure the only salt used for my margarita is on the rim of the glass.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
That's a great article slide! Thanks for that.

alphadog, we stayed at Tres Rios when we went to Dinosaur Valley, but did visit the park and walked in the dinosaurs footprints. It has been a couple of years, but it is a really neat place. Getting down to the river and the dino prints can be somewhat challenging for the "out of shape", but certainly worth it once you get there.

Tres Rios is our "home park" due to the fact that is the park where we signed up to become a member of Ocean Canyon Properties. A nice little park and Glen Rose is a great little town with lots of local attractions and great little resturants.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

Tres Rios is pretty neat. But I don't think we'll be back because it is a membership park. We (well, Dad, and my wife and I as his guest) went there for the sales pitch. If we were ready for a membership park, it would certainly be one to consider, but we're not there yet.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
..the only salt used for my margarita is on the rim of the glass.
LMBO & I'll drink to that..!

Re-thought the Possum trip - will wait until I see some "reports" (as it's a longer drive). The Wife (and children - our 3 Shibas) drove over to Lake Somerville SP (sans tt) today to "check it out"..

1st, it's sorta like Lake Livingston in that ya gotta follow a very meandering route to get to it - but that's "ok" 'cause we saw some pretty "back country"

the Lake itself in nice - we didn't know it was as big as it is.. there are no pull-thru sites and some of the sites are small/narrow but there are plenty of others that are large/wide - might be tough for larger rigs during the "season"

none of the sites have their own sewer but there are plenty of "community" dump stations - lots with elects & water - also lots of "day use" areas - boat ramp and docks for fishing

appears to be a very clean-kept park

we will be headed back there tomorrow afternoon or the next morning - have 2 sites spotted (the best of which is occupied) but we'll "settle" for our 2nd choice and have back-ups should that one fill today or tomorrow (again it looks like more Camp Hosts than campers - a great time of the year for us - mid 80s, cool mornings)

saw about a dozen Deer wandering in the middle of the day the short time we were there

will report further after our stay.....Bill
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

Somerville gets very crowded in the summer. It's a recreational lake all the way and lots of boats and booze and stuff. But I've never been there during the off-season!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #15

ah, but I'm going there this week - Summer is over.....Bill
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog99
I might just have to take a day trip out there to check it out this weekend... uhmm.... "I am ON a mission!" Anybody been to Mineral Wells, Dinosaur Valley, or Lake Whitney?
Dinosaur Valley... Great Park! Took my scouts there many times. We only tent camp there, don't know about the sites for RV. Did not own one then. Just bought one this August.....Yeah! At this park, there is 2 life size Dino sculpture by check in, great for picture spot. The river there has real life Dino foot prints in the river to see and touch if the river is low. And a small exhibit room that shows the Dinos that did once roam that area. Cross the river and you can backpack and camp along nice trails.
Disstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disstick View Post
Dinosaur Valley... Great Park! Took my scouts there many times. We only tent camp there, don't know about the sites for RV. Did not own one then. Just bought one this August.....Yeah! At this park, there is 2 life size Dino sculpture by check in, great for picture spot. The river there has real life Dino foot prints in the river to see and touch if the river is low. And a small exhibit room that shows the Dinos that did once roam that area. Cross the river and you can backpack and camp along nice trails.
Yeah, you must be talking about these 2 guys...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104_1738 (Large).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	20700  
Retired AF MSgt