Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
NELA

Poverty Point Resevoir State Park

We have found another awesome park less than an hour from home.

DH plays golf often here (Delhi, LA) at Black Bear Golf Course, and came by last weekend to check out the park. We'd heard "there's no shade there!" by quite a few, along with "it's a new park, need to wait until it matures more". Not true. There are some VERY shaded lots here.

There is a water park for the kids.

Down the road a mile or so is a marina and a beach.

The sites are spacious, lots of space between camp sites. (we're actually on a small peninsula type outcropping with no neighbors on one side and on the other side they're quite a distance away)

There are some Indian mounds back behind us which were not as well developed as the others mentioned later here. These are located right on the edge of Bayou Macon/Macon Ridge.

The wifi here is the best we've experienced to date. (if that's important to ya)

Edited to add: There are also some very nice cabins here, situated out over the water.

There is also the Poverty Point Indian National Historical Mounds, the most significant "find" in the Northern Hemisphere. We went there today and it is amazing how large this area is, and the HUGE mound in the center (shaped like an eagle in flight) reportedly was built in 3 months' time, requiring 16 MILLION baskets (about 50 lbs.) of dirt hauled to and up the mound.

There is an area of the RV park that has 4 sites, totally separate from the rest of the park and would be IDEAL for a group to camp. Those are pull-thru sites. It's so private, much like your own little cove.

The largest area where we are is full hookups.

(chuckle) Folks here are *serious* about their fishing! So much so that I've seen three 5ers with their own "cricket boxes"...the kind you see in bait stands...small cabinet with legs. AND those three 5ers have small chest freezers set up outside for their fish. Evidently the fish are bitin! People are elbow to elbow in some areas of the lake here, fishing from the bank.
We'll try our poles out later on this evening. One guy 3 spaces down said his wife and son caught 50 bream last evening using crickets.

Long story long; GREAT place and we will be returning!

I'll try to post some pics when we get back home.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

So when's the fish fry?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Sounds good and not that far from me either.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
NELA

LOL wmtire, talk to DH about how difficult it is to fry "the one that got away". (snicker)

But...he's now *hooked* on fresh water fishin'! (remember, he's spoiled to offshore fishin')

The two RVs down from us (the ones with the freezers and cricket boxes) were fryin' a MESS of fish this evening.

What'd we have? Well, I'm saving it for the picture contest. Suffice it to say he did an awesome job of grillin' and now he's ready for an after eatin' nap. With NASCAR in surround sound.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
now he's ready for an after eatin' nap. With NASCAR in surround sound.
Does an "eating nap" require a real bed, or will a recliner or hammock suffice?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote