Old 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #21

We used to go to Mill Creek, State Park, and Port of Kimberling. If you are a Coast to Coast member, Treasure Lakes is nice. We now own a lot and keep or fifth wheel at Ozarks RV Resort. It is a lil drive from town but it is worth it to us.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #22
HikerBob

DW and I prefer state park, USFS and NPS campgrounds over private trailer park-like campgrounds (KOA, etc), though we found a nice one in Shoshone, CA with a hot spring fed pool and a short 10-12 mile bike ride to Tecopa and Tecopa Hot Springs County Park - Tecopa Hot Springs - Camping in Inyo County: Bishop, Lone Pine, Big Pine Independence, California. If you go, don't miss the date farm down on the Armagosa River SE of town.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #23

bad campsites

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Campgrounds are a crap shoot. I have seen beautiful pictures of some campgrounds that must have been taken when it was brand new a 100 years ago or the website builder found them on the internet somewhere.

The Midwest does have some great local campgrounds, not so many on the East Coast. We stay in a wide variety of both private and public. If we like it we go back, if not we don't. Sometimes you have no choice. Also will depend on the seasons. We have a couple of state park campgrounds in NC/SC that I won't go to because they are in rough shape, there are others that we go to again and again. The private ones are getting expensive, we looked at one that we have stayed at before and it was $78 a night in peak season and is packed. Not our cup of tea.

Aaron
NC/SC bad campsites; names please. We mostly go to NC/SC areas. Help us not make a mistake.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #24
KJPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
We stayed at Cooper's Creek RV Resort last summer on Taneycomo Lake and had a good time, especially if you're a trout fisherman. Has a great guide who will put you on the fish! Since the river flooded last winter, you might want to call before going there. Short distance from the entertainment areas and old town Branson.

Corps of Engineer campgrounds on the lake are always good choices. Great locations with good sites and utilities. Good luck!
X2 on Cooper Creek. I believe it is the best RV choice in the Branson area. We have stayed there as long as two weeks at one time and have enjoyed every minute. Some people we have met there have been coming back for nearly 20 years. Right on Lake Taneycomo, great fishing docks and marina, rental boats, fishing guide, and an outstanding host. Also easy access to everything else in the area.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #25
KJPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn cyn View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your timely comments about Branson. We would like to take our new TT on its maiden voyage. Can anyone suggest a pretty, wooded camping spot that isn't too pricey ?
Cyn
Lake Whitney State Park is wooded and has RV sites that are easy to get into. The town of Whitney, TX. is a bit off the beaten path, but has a good grocery market and a good hardware store. And is just a few miles from Hillsboro and I35. A good place to start.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #26
MCTroy

We prefer the private parks. I feel much more secure in them as an owner our manager is always on site. Good luck getting anything fixed at an Ohio state park. After they get your money, you are on your own. Also, since we travel with two large dogs, private parks are usually more dog friendly. I spend a lot of time researching for space and facilities. Then I call for my reservations. If I don't like the staff's attitude on the call I don't make my reservation and look elsewhere. We have had all good sites in nice camp grounds but it takes time and making reservations early.
Hurry Spring 2018! We have plans ready!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #27
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
NC/SC bad campsites; names please. We mostly go to NC/SC areas. Help us not make a mistake.
I'm sure there are bad ones out there, but we haven't found a "bad" NC/SC state campground yet! Some do offer more amenities and activities than others, but all are nice places.
Jordan Lake(all 3), Stone Mountain, Cedar Point, Lake Kerr (Satterwhite Point), Myrtle Beach, Huntington Beach are all nice campgrounds! Just do your research and you will be fine!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn cyn View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your timely comments about Branson. We would like to take our new TT on its maiden voyage. Can anyone suggest a pretty, wooded camping spot that isn't too pricey ?
Cyn
We stayed at the Indian Point Campground (INDIAN POINT, MO - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [NRSO]) when we visited Branson last year. It was pretty nice and certainly reasonably priced - and my Dad got 50% off with his Golden Age Pass.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #29

ryand... DW and I were just in Branson for 3 nights two weeks ago. We stayed at Oak Grove Campground on the west side of the city, a full-hookup CG. We found it to be very clean, well maintained, and quiet. It's about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 76 on Gretna Road... which is also Hwy 165.

We spent one whole day driving around and looking at a lot of the other CGs, and found none of them to our liking; were either old and not well maintained, some were very hilly with narrow winding gravel roads to the sites, and a few were nice, but were several miles out of town.

If you want to be close to the shows and other activities, Oak Grove is perfect... and their rates are very reasonable. Google "Oak Grove Campground, Branson MO"!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #30

Private RV parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
paralegal I sent you a pm in regards.

We just got back from a 2k plus trip from the Midwest to the Appalachian mountain land. 2 of the best parks we stayed at were #1 a CG ran by Forsythe County in NC and #2 a National Park just outside of Asheville. Both were very clean, quiet, full service and had awesome CG hosts!

I am appalled that some of the places actually get away with calling themselves Campgrounds. We stayed at a couple of private CG's for 1 night during our haul out and back. Both were KOA's but in reality just full time trailer parks. In the future if it says KOA on it I'm not even looking at it.

Tags
mpg