Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Private vs Public Campgrounds

Hi All-

Just returned from a trip to branson without the RV. This is a rare one for us for sure....we did miss the Camper for sure. The place we stayed was really nice but the beds were awful. My wife actually said when we woke up after the first morning that we should have camped....that how bad they were. But thats another topic.

We scoped out 4 campgrounds on the west side of town and I was disappointed to say the lease about the private CG offering. Compton Ridge (Closed and re opened last season) Now named something else was in my opinion run down and not really worth the price. Acorn Acres....Aside from the Junk yard at the entrance was alright but My wife did not approve. The Wilderness was very small, tight and cramped but prob the cleanest. Table rock state park was also a winner, however no shade in the FHU sites is a deal breaker.

In 5 years we have only stayed in one Privately owned CG and that was for an overnight stop while traveling... I think that the Midwestern State parks, COE and City/County parks have spoiled me and they are typically 1/2 the cost of most of the private offerings.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Mill Creek west of Branson looks like a really nice campground. All the pics I've seen have shown nice sites on the lake with asphalt streets/sites trimmed with windsor stone. Definitely on our list when we are in the area.
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

We prefer public campgrounds over all. We only stay in a private one if there are not any other options or we need a monthly rate. Other than that, public all the way.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

I choose state parks 99.9% of the time. I am not usually at a spot more than 4 days so I don't need full hookups. We like state parks because the spots are more wooded and more like camping instead of being parked in a trailer park. I can get more camping per year done at state and fed parks for my camping budget.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Tall Pines C/G is where we stay,Rated in the Top 3% of all US C/G! Good enough for us! Youroo!! Also their Site "Does Not List" Good Sam or PassPort America,BUT they DO offer it at Check In? Figure That? 50% off is 50% OFF!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I choose state parks 99.9% of the time. I am not usually at a spot more than 4 days so I don't need full hookups. We like state parks because the spots are more wooded and more like camping instead of being parked in a trailer park. I can get more camping per year done at state and fed parks for my camping budget.
X2
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Campgrounds are a crap shoot. I have seen beautiful pictures of some campgrounds that must have been taken when it was brand new a 100 years ago or the website builder found them on the internet somewhere.

The Midwest does have some great local campgrounds, not so many on the East Coast. We stay in a wide variety of both private and public. If we like it we go back, if not we don't. Sometimes you have no choice. Also will depend on the seasons. We have a couple of state park campgrounds in NC/SC that I won't go to because they are in rough shape, there are others that we go to again and again. The private ones are getting expensive, we looked at one that we have stayed at before and it was $78 a night in peak season and is packed. Not our cup of tea.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

I have stayed at Compton Ridge and am a member of Ocean Canyon.... It is a little more run down than some but has everything you need... We were there over Thanksgiving and had a blast.... It was "after season" so the store was not so stocked but the indoor pool was nice for the kids.... Will stay there again.... Want to see while trees are green and then changing colors

The Goat Belly from Texas
2016 Shasta Phoenix 35BH
2011 Ford F-250 diesel
sears532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Berkshire 390QS

Table Rock state park is very nice. We stayed there a week a few years ago.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

It depends what you are looking for of course. Federal sites appear to be good especially if you have the Federal discount programs available to you. Make sure you get the discount passes well ahead of travel. The state sites seem to have older CCC origins and have more limited services. Lacking water and dump stations more often and can cost more to non-residents, especially if you tow extra vehicle. County and city run sites seem to have more complete services. We all have our favorites.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Hi All-

Just returned from a trip to branson without the RV. This is a rare one for us for sure....we did miss the Camper for sure. The place we stayed was really nice but the beds were awful. My wife actually said when we woke up after the first morning that we should have camped....that how bad they were. But thats another topic.

We scoped out 4 campgrounds on the west side of town and I was disappointed to say the lease about the private CG offering. Compton Ridge (Closed and re opened last season) Now named something else was in my opinion run down and not really worth the price. Acorn Acres....Aside from the Junk yard at the entrance was alright but My wife did not approve. The Wilderness was very small, tight and cramped but prob the cleanest. Table rock state park was also a winner, however no shade in the FHU sites is a deal breaker.

In 5 years we have only stayed in one Privately owned CG and that was for an overnight stop while traveling... I think that the Midwestern State parks, COE and City/County parks have spoiled me and they are typically 1/2 the cost of most of the private offerings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your timely comments about Branson. We would like to take our new TT on its maiden voyage. Can anyone suggest a pretty, wooded camping spot that isn't too pricey ?
Cyn
Dallas,Texas
cyn cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

Stayed twice for two weeks each time at Branson Stagecoach RV park out past the state park on 165. Pull-thrus a little narrow but long enough and they have real good rates. Dennis, the owner, will take you in to Branson for any show, day or evening, no charge, in his van. Knows the town and the folks who operate the shows. No traffic jams with him.
Just my 2 cents on camping In Branson.
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Campgrounds are a crap shoot. I have seen beautiful pictures of some campgrounds that must have been taken when it was brand new a 100 years ago or the website builder found them on the internet somewhere.
Aaron
I couldn't agree more!

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

Pretty much the same here in Ontario, St-Lawrence Park Commission campgrounds are really hard to beat. They are a division of Ontario Parks I believe.
Huge sites, not crammed side by side, plenty of shade and mature trees.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #15

RV Parks in Branson

When we stayed in Branson for a week last year we had a 38 ft Crusader fifth wheel and were pulling with a large Dodge 3500 Ram dually. Needless to say we were fairly long....We found a great private RV park that was nice, clean, new and had concrete pull thru's with full hook up. Very friendly staff as well. The name is Ozark Country Campground and was pretty much central to where we wanted to visit for Branson and surrounding area. We checked rv reviews as well and we really enjoyed ourselves. Very clean pool too. We were there in the middle of June 2015.
FlaFSUmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #16

This Forum, the GoodSam review website and TripAdvisor are all great resources for campgrounds. Nothing beats word of mouth from real customers. Websites are sometimes highly out of date.
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #17

We always use Public campgrounds unless we plan on staying for a week. We're both still working, so weekends are what our usual time frame is. If we're staying longer than a weekend, prefer having full hook-up. State Campgrounds - we bring our own water. We've had too many instances of intense well water - and it's just less caustic on the WH & filter.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #18

We stayed "downtown" at the Branson Lakeside RV park and thought it was a great place and reasonable. It is NOT an in the woods camping experience. It is a place to stay that is well kept, and convenient to everything...and walkable the the mall, the free shuttle service and the downtown shops and restaurants. You can fish right from the docks there and the Bass Pro Shop is walkable as is their FABULOUS restaurant.
Branson Lakeside RV Park - Amenities
Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaFSUmom View Post
When we stayed in Branson for a week last year we had a 38 ft Crusader fifth wheel and were pulling with a large Dodge 3500 Ram dually. Needless to say we were fairly long....We found a great private RV park that was nice, clean, new and had concrete pull thru's with full hook up. Very friendly staff as well. The name is Ozark Country Campground and was pretty much central to where we wanted to visit for Branson and surrounding area. We checked rv reviews as well and we really enjoyed ourselves. Very clean pool too. We were there in the middle of June 2015.
We also stay at this park every-time we go to Branson. It is a PA park so the current rate is $20, unlimited stay and RV Park Reviews rate it as Excellent (8.9). Close to all amenities.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #20

Cooper Creek RV Resort

We stayed at Cooper's Creek RV Resort last summer on Taneycomo Lake and had a good time, especially if you're a trout fisherman. Has a great guide who will put you on the fish! Since the river flooded last winter, you might want to call before going there. Short distance from the entertainment areas and old town Branson.

Corps of Engineer campgrounds on the lake are always good choices. Great locations with good sites and utilities. Good luck!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg