Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I would think you would be better off straddling a tire carcass ESPECIALLY if you're driving a Porsche or any vehicle that has only 6" ground clearance.
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.
__________________

__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
D_B Travelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Watauga, Texas
Posts: 688
As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
__________________
D_B Travelers - 8 nights in 2017, 35 nights in 2016. [U]1st love: 2014 TT WJ3001w, now 2016 FW SOB, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
No I don't like to argue everything - I just question things I don't understand and this is one of them. What makes a Porsche different that any other car/vehicle as far as driving around road debris goes.

No I'm not related to OC

BTW - I invited you to lunch awhile ago and you never replied - are you afraid of not being able to drive around road debris on I35W or 820 in the Porsche?
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kirtland, OH
Posts: 289
One - I vote to straddle. My Silverado Z71 has skid plates for just that kind of purpose.
Two - I vote to get off the road before dark. That's why you have your house with you.
Three - barring you are still on the road after dark, your speed should be such that you can see and stop dead for anything in the road. I know, that's a tough one. I get really spooked after dark and I have done damage, lots of it.
__________________
Sterlingsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
Hell that was no gator, that was a T-Rex!! LOL
I know the feeling, I drive 35W and 820 daily and encounter lots of debris, normally not a problem but I would be leery of anything that was higher than the bottom of my front bumper. Thankfully most gators are sleeping on their side and the only time they cause a problem is when somebody hits it and sends it flying into the next lane.
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
If I was driving the Ram 2500 and couldn't go around,then I would grit my teeth and grip the steering wheel and hope for the best.

Same goes if I was driving my car.

But if I see the debris and driving conditions and distance allow,then I'm going around.
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
This just me, if there was no way to avoid hitting it.... I would NOT run over it with one of my front tires...the possibility of losing control is too great.... I would slow down as much as possible as fast as possible... shout a warning and hit it square to the front of the vehicle.... In my mind 1 of 3 things will happen.... 1.it will be punted away from the TV.... 2. go over the hood and 'if' it comes in the windshield it will be in the center where no one sits, or deflected over the top to one side or the other... 3. be sucked under the TV and it will hit the steering assembly, the sway bar, and the covering under the oil pan and bounce straight on back or shoot out the side.

In the last 5 years, I have had a front (ran over a metal bar ((at night)) and the tire 'unrolled' and went through the fender) and rear tire explode and several on my camper tires explode other times. Remember that if something 'bad' happens really fast to keep your whole unit (TV and Camper) going in a straight line until you have full control and can slowly pull over to the side of the road. Any fast motions to the left or right when you have tire done gone south is a recipe for disaster.

Safety first and always.


imo
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
road gator, tire, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.