Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I would think you would be better off straddling a tire carcass ESPECIALLY if you're driving a Porsche or any vehicle that has only 6" ground clearance.
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
No I don't like to argue everything - I just question things I don't understand and this is one of them. What makes a Porsche different that any other car/vehicle as far as driving around road debris goes.

No I'm not related to OC

BTW - I invited you to lunch awhile ago and you never replied - are you afraid of not being able to drive around road debris on I35W or 820 in the Porsche?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #16

One - I vote to straddle. My Silverado Z71 has skid plates for just that kind of purpose.
Two - I vote to get off the road before dark. That's why you have your house with you.
Three - barring you are still on the road after dark, your speed should be such that you can see and stop dead for anything in the road. I know, that's a tough one. I get really spooked after dark and I have done damage, lots of it.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
Hell that was no gator, that was a T-Rex!! LOL
I know the feeling, I drive 35W and 820 daily and encounter lots of debris, normally not a problem but I would be leery of anything that was higher than the bottom of my front bumper. Thankfully most gators are sleeping on their side and the only time they cause a problem is when somebody hits it and sends it flying into the next lane.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
If I was driving the Ram 2500 and couldn't go around,then I would grit my teeth and grip the steering wheel and hope for the best.

Same goes if I was driving my car.

But if I see the debris and driving conditions and distance allow,then I'm going around.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #20

This just me, if there was no way to avoid hitting it.... I would NOT run over it with one of my front tires...the possibility of losing control is too great.... I would slow down as much as possible as fast as possible... shout a warning and hit it square to the front of the vehicle.... In my mind 1 of 3 things will happen.... 1.it will be punted away from the TV.... 2. go over the hood and 'if' it comes in the windshield it will be in the center where no one sits, or deflected over the top to one side or the other... 3. be sucked under the TV and it will hit the steering assembly, the sway bar, and the covering under the oil pan and bounce straight on back or shoot out the side.

In the last 5 years, I have had a front (ran over a metal bar ((at night)) and the tire 'unrolled' and went through the fender) and rear tire explode and several on my camper tires explode other times. Remember that if something 'bad' happens really fast to keep your whole unit (TV and Camper) going in a straight line until you have full control and can slowly pull over to the side of the road. Any fast motions to the left or right when you have tire done gone south is a recipe for disaster.

Safety first and always.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
road gator, tire, wheel