Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Road hazard in the form of 18 wheeler tire carcas

Traveling down on I-35W about 10 PM on our way to Corpus Christi for vacation last week. I-35W has been under construction for many, many miles and years it seems. We were spending a stop over night at Waco North RV Park (don't, it was a dump despite 9/9/9 ratings) and as we entered the exit ramp pulling our 35' Rockwood (new in April) there was a truck tire carcass in the middle of the ramp. You know, the entire tread from some 18 wheeler tire laying in the road curled up. No dodging as there were concrete barriers on the right and construction equipment parked on the left of the exit with no time to slow down. I didn't want to straddle it for fear of taking out the truck oil pan, so I ran over it with my driver side tires...what a NOISE! Pulled down and stopped on the service road; got out with the flashlight to inspect for damage. The TV seems to have made it through without a scratch as I believe the full length step bar between the wheels kept the tire from flipping up and hitting the side of the (new) truck. The trailer wasn't so lucky. The lower J-panel on the driver's side was crushed in and split badly, the corner plastic trim piece was broken and almost knocked off. The front push out's J-panel was crushed at the front and bent up along the length; the j-panel between the push outs was then also crushed in but not broken. I inspected the axles and plumbing next and was surprised as well as relieved to see they had no damage and the tire was not wrapped around anything. Not sure how I could avoid this in the future, but the DW and I decided we just aren't going to do much pulling at night. Looks like it will be a couple of months in the shop to repair, but vacation would have been over if the plumbing dump connections had been torn off.
How do you keep this from happening? We are new to RVing, is it pretty much standard to be off the roads by dark? There always seems to be these tire treads on the highways in Texas, not sure if it is that way in other states.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Hate to hear about this happening to you. The slang term for these treads is called a "gator" or "road gator"........and they will bite you.

Here is an Allstate Insurance tip:

http://blog.allstate.com/dont-let-road-gators-bite/

You think they are bad for a regular driver, imagine being on a motorcycle and one popping up fast. We were just talking about this the other day on a cycle forum I frequent where someone got killed after hitting one on a two wheeler.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Infractee

IMO Unless you are driving in a Porsche or some other vehicle that sits only 6" above the ground, you are always better off straddling a tire carcas.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

I was passing a tractor trailer on my bike when the trailer tire blew and the gator damned near took off my head. Got lucky on that one.
Lost pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

Back to D B Traveler's original question: We try to avoid being on the road at night. Of course, we have the luxury of being retired (don't know about your situation) so we don't have to have a lot of "long days" to get anywhere. We can always go a day or two earlier.

Here is a bit of information that might ease your mind a bit. We, too, damaged the J trim on our Windjammer when one of our own tires blew on the way to the Goshen Rally earlier this month. FR fixed the panel right where the trailer sat at the fairgrounds. That panel comes off with about a dozen screws, once the trim strip between the white sidewall and the gold/brown J trim is removed. Pull out the rubber insert in the trim piece, and remove the screws that hold it. It is caulked pretty well, so you might have to pry it off. Be careful not to bend the trim strip...you can re-use it. The panel is one piece from the rear of the front door of the trailer (ours was the curb side) back to the front axle. Even if you don't want to attempt it by yourself, I'm sure your dealer can fix it in a matter of a day or two. The trim piece came from the factory already pre-finished. Shouldn't tie up your trailer for too long, especially if the dealer pre-orders the trim piece.

Good luck, and enjoy Corpus.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Rather do like D B Travelers and tale it with tires of TV and hold on straddling stands a good chance of taking out oil pan then loose all power steering , brakes, everything immediate engine shutdown. could be rough trying handle trailer with no power. Then what in the middle of Interstate at highway speeds 70 75 around you. Something to think about!!!

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Traveling down on I-35W about 10 PM on our way to Corpus Christi for vacation last week. I-35W has been under construction for many, many miles and years it seems. We were spending a stop over night at Waco North RV Park (don't, it was a dump despite 9/9/9 ratings) and as we entered the exit ramp pulling our 35' Rockwood (new in April) there was a truck tire carcass in the middle of the ramp. You know, the entire tread from some 18 wheeler tire laying in the road curled up. No dodging as there were concrete barriers on the right and construction equipment parked on the left of the exit with no time to slow down. I didn't want to straddle it for fear of taking out the truck oil pan, so I ran over it with my driver side tires...what a NOISE! Pulled down and stopped on the service road; got out with the flashlight to inspect for damage. The TV seems to have made it through without a scratch as I believe the full length step bar between the wheels kept the tire from flipping up and hitting the side of the (new) truck. The trailer wasn't so lucky. The lower J-panel on the driver's side was crushed in and split badly, the corner plastic trim piece was broken and almost knocked off. The front push out's J-panel was crushed at the front and bent up along the length; the j-panel between the push outs was then also crushed in but not broken. I inspected the axles and plumbing next and was surprised as well as relieved to see they had no damage and the tire was not wrapped around anything. Not sure how I could avoid this in the future, but the DW and I decided we just aren't going to do much pulling at night. Looks like it will be a couple of months in the shop to repair, but vacation would have been over if the plumbing dump connections had been torn off.
How do you keep this from happening? We are new to RVing, is it pretty much standard to be off the roads by dark? There always seems to be these tire treads on the highways in Texas, not sure if it is that way in other states.
Agree with the I35W work never seems to end - I guess you have been in the I35W and Loop 820 mess lately.

The tire "gators" are one reason I don't drive at night - they're black and you are sometimes on top of them before you see them. I don't believe "gators" are unique to Texas highways alone - I have seen them in all the states I have traveled and I think they will always be a road hazard. I never run along side a big rig any longer than necessary. I think the truckers using recap tires in an effort to reduce operating costs contribute to the problem.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Agree with the I35W work never seems to end - I guess you have been in the I35W and Loop 820 mess lately.

The tire "gators" are one reason I don't drive at night - they're black and you are sometimes on top of them before you see them. I don't believe "gators" are unique to Texas highways alone - I have seen them in all the states I have traveled and I think they will always be a road hazard. I never run along side a big rig any longer than necessary. I think the truckers using recap tires in an effort to reduce operating costs contribute to the problem.
You are correct about the recaps.

Here in ID there is a law that say you are required to remove road hazards created by yourself or your outfit, this mean truck drivers or the tire service are suppose to remove the "gator" from the road surface.

It is largely unknown and unenforced.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
IMO Unless you are driving in a Porsche or some other vehicle that sits only 6" above the ground, you are always better off straddling a tire carcas.
I would think you would be better off straddling a tire carcass ESPECIALLY if you're driving a Porsche or any vehicle that has only 6" ground clearance.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Rather do like D B Travelers and tale it with tires of TV and hold on straddling stands a good chance of taking out oil pan then loose all power steering , brakes, everything immediate engine shutdown. could be rough trying handle trailer with no power. Then what in the middle of Interstate at highway speeds 70 75 around you. Something to think about!!!

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Have never seen or heard of an oil pan getting taken out on a highway by a gator, have straddled tons and tons of debris in my years of driving and except for the few times I was NOT driving a truck, have never even so much as brushed up against it.

Now when I had my Mustang I did run over an aluminum extension ladder and 3 bags of concrete yet I did somehow manage to retain the oilpan and all of it's oil...
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Infractee

Quote:
I would think you would be better off straddling a tire carcass ESPECIALLY if you're driving a Porsche or any vehicle that has only 6" ground clearance.
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
You are welcome to knock yourself out with that all you like. In a Porsche or similar vehicle you do not need to straddle debris, you can go around it.
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Infractee

Quote:
Are you saying that you can only go around debris with a Porsche or similar vehicle? Guess I better change my go around debris driving style in my Cadillac.
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #14

As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Uhhh, no. Just pointing out that there would be ZERO reason to straddle debris in a porsche.
In regards to the OP's situation of being unable to go around the debris due to road construction and such and hauling a camper, in a porsche this would not be a problem.

You like to argue everything, don't you? Are you related to OC?
No I don't like to argue everything - I just question things I don't understand and this is one of them. What makes a Porsche different that any other car/vehicle as far as driving around road debris goes.

No I'm not related to OC

BTW - I invited you to lunch awhile ago and you never replied - are you afraid of not being able to drive around road debris on I35W or 820 in the Porsche?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #16

One - I vote to straddle. My Silverado Z71 has skid plates for just that kind of purpose.
Two - I vote to get off the road before dark. That's why you have your house with you.
Three - barring you are still on the road after dark, your speed should be such that you can see and stop dead for anything in the road. I know, that's a tough one. I get really spooked after dark and I have done damage, lots of it.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
As a clarification, the "gator" wasn't lying nice and flat; rather it was standing up on its tread about 18-24" tall. In the 1-1 1/2 seconds I had to decide what part of the TV and trailer I was going to hit it with I chose the tires. Also occured to me at the time that there were a lot more things hanging down the middle of the rig that the gator might wrap around and hang up on. Knew I did't have the equipment with me to cut it off if it hung.
Hell that was no gator, that was a T-Rex!! LOL
I know the feeling, I drive 35W and 820 daily and encounter lots of debris, normally not a problem but I would be leery of anything that was higher than the bottom of my front bumper. Thankfully most gators are sleeping on their side and the only time they cause a problem is when somebody hits it and sends it flying into the next lane.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would straddle it as there is a huge cross member to protect the pan/tranny.
If I was driving the Ram 2500 and couldn't go around,then I would grit my teeth and grip the steering wheel and hope for the best.

Same goes if I was driving my car.

But if I see the debris and driving conditions and distance allow,then I'm going around.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #20

This just me, if there was no way to avoid hitting it.... I would NOT run over it with one of my front tires...the possibility of losing control is too great.... I would slow down as much as possible as fast as possible... shout a warning and hit it square to the front of the vehicle.... In my mind 1 of 3 things will happen.... 1.it will be punted away from the TV.... 2. go over the hood and 'if' it comes in the windshield it will be in the center where no one sits, or deflected over the top to one side or the other... 3. be sucked under the TV and it will hit the steering assembly, the sway bar, and the covering under the oil pan and bounce straight on back or shoot out the side.

In the last 5 years, I have had a front (ran over a metal bar ((at night)) and the tire 'unrolled' and went through the fender) and rear tire explode and several on my camper tires explode other times. Remember that if something 'bad' happens really fast to keep your whole unit (TV and Camper) going in a straight line until you have full control and can slowly pull over to the side of the road. Any fast motions to the left or right when you have tire done gone south is a recipe for disaster.

Safety first and always.

imo

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
road gator, tire, wheel