Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

RV Park Near Circuit of Americas (SE Austin)

DW and I will be attending the MotoGP race at Circuit of Americas in early April. I'm leaning towards taking the motorhome rather than staying in a hotel. Any recommendations for a park with full hookups in the area? If we take the RV, we'll only have our little motorcycle (Honda CBR250) for transportation once we're all set up, so I don't want to ride 2 hours to get to the track...Thanks in advance for your advice.
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

The KOA in Bastrop is about 22 miles and is near downtown Bastrop, Walmart, & other shopping. There are closer parks but they are not as near food or shopping. I'm trying to setup a trip for that race myself. We used to live in Bastrop until the wildfire in 2011.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

McKinney Falls State Park is nice and is nearby, but it only has water and electricity and a dump station, no sewer hookups. McKinney Falls State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department To add sewer you might check out Austin Lone Star RV Resort. Austin Lone Star RV Resort Park
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

McKinney falls is always sold out that week. Hiway 71 Rv park in cedar Creek may have a site or 2 but I doubt it. Need to make reservations a year in advance. Austin is RV park short when it comes to camping. There is a lot to do here but not many parks.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
I Break Everything

The track is outside of Austin. It's going to be a little bit of drive where ever you stay. I've only been to concerts there.

We generally stay at Oak Forrest, Lone Star, and Pecan Grove. McKinney Falls is a nice little state park as well. Oak Forrest is our favorite for doing things around Austin and it's about 15 miles from the Circuit of the Americas. Make reservations quick though. Pecan Grove RV park is pretty great, it is within walking distance to many restaurants, shops and a great little grocery store called Thoms Market. However it is closer to 20 miles from the track

We camp in a motorhome as well. Pecan Grove can difficult to secure a spot, however we did get a spot a little before Christmas for the fun of it. That one will fill quickly too.

Lone Star RV Resort is a Carefree park, used to be a KOA. It is right off IH35, about 10 or so miles from the park. We've stayed here many times too when we can't get into the others.

Guess it just depends on what you want to be around when you get back. If I could get into Pecan Grove I would, then Oak Forrest then Lone Star, but that's me. The state park is nice, but small, all dirt roads and such.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

Mike, I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. All roads and sites in Mckinney Falls State Park are asphalt.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

As of tonight MFSP still has 6 50 amp sites available for those dates.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

I've been looking at COTA with a view to visiting for the 2017 Formula 1 race. They do have a row of parking for RVs along one on the straights and it is serviced. For the 2015 F1 race, they also let RVs and campers use on of the parking lots.

Have you tried contacting COTA? I sent them an email regarding the F1 race and they didn't respond.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
South of COTA down Tollroad 130 is a town called Fentress, and there's an rv park there named Leisure Resort. We worked there a couple years ago. Nice park and not too far up the road is the racetrack.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Air Force Retiree

What you may think about doing is renting a compact car to use there and be able stay a little further out.
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

There are a couple just off I-35 in South Austin. One is Crestview RV park at exit 220 and the other is Austin Lone Star Carefree RV park between Exit 227 and William Cannon Rd with full hook up pull through sites. You can call either and find out what they have for openings for 2016 then plan your trip around 2017. There is also Woodies RV that has some sites on COTA that have only water and electric hook ups.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #12

I have stayed at the Oaks RV park and I liked it. Its decently close at 12 miles. But you better book it now.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Circ...72!2d30.139866

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

I travel to Austin frequently on business and by choice stay in Bastrop to get out of the hustle of Austin. Be aware that prices skyrocket when the race is in town. or anything else for that fact

We have stayed at the KOA many times and like it. It's near the Hwy so it's a bit noisey.
Bastrop State Park was beautiful but the fires devastated it, it looks like a telephone pole factory now.
Last time we stayed at The Oaks and it's fine but a bit campy.

McKinney Falls is very good (no sewer hookup) and is secure, it's probably the closest to COTA.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

I live in San Marcos, south of Austin and work at Austin Lone Star RV Resort. I have also lived at the campground for several years before moving and figured out that you can't get anywhere fast in Austin anymore. The highway noise reminds us of waves on the beach.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #15

We are at Hwy 71 rv park right now and stay here often when we visit daughter and son and their families. We lived in Austin 24 years and have stayed in most parks around here since going full time. What you can do is rent a small car from Enterpise in Bastrop. They will drive out to 71 to pick you up (have done this many times when we need a car). They have constructed a new road off 71 with new signal lights east of the Del Valle high school signal lights that take you right over to COTA. From Hwy 71 to COTA is 13 miles by this route.
Oak Forest used to be our favorite but were sold to a corporation but some things have changed and not all positive.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #16

Thanks, everyone for your input. We just made reservations at the KOA in Bastrop. I probably should have started looking earlier, as my choices were limited. And as someone said, the prices really do skyrocket whenever the COA has a major event! Our trusty little red CBR250 has taken us much further than the 23 miles we'll be riding to and from the track...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #17
I Break Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Mike, I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. All roads and sites in Mckinney Falls State Park are asphalt.
Guess it's been a bit since I visited McKinney. You're right, I remember driving through on the roads.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #18

We don't eat out much but in Bastrop are

Maxine's on Main Nice steak place
Roadhouse Burgers
Paw Paw Catfish
Las Cocinas

There is a brewery/beer place at the edge of downtown we want to try

Lots and lots of additional ones these are just off the top of my head.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote