Old 10-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
We'll be two nights in Chicago next summer, and the best option we could find is to boondock at McCormick Park (Chicago Motorcoach Information | Travel Professionals | Choose Chicago) - if you're not staying a long time, and you don't mind boondocking, it might be an option for you

random_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
I opted for Sycamore RV Resort in Sycamore, IL and then got a hotel near Midway airport using hotel points for a night. We explored the city for 2 days.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
We stayed at Leisure Lake Membership Resort a few years ago for 9 days. It was about $220 per week with our Good Sam discount. It is located in the SW corner of I-80 and I-55. We drove into Chicago quite a few mornings. We would leave around 8:30 - 9a and I would check Google Maps Traffic to see where the accidents and backups were that morning and we would take the other freeway into town. We bought a toll transponder when we first got into the area so that we could bypass the toll booths. It was 45-55 miles into the center of town. We would stay there again.
Pat & Karen
Seattle, WA
2012 CC Silverback 29RE
2013 Ford F250 Lariat, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Diesel, 4WD

Retired and trying to travel where it's warm.
pengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Dorothy and the Tinman
Originally Posted by richp View Post

In addition to Big Rock, Kane County Forest Preserve district also operates Paul Wolff campground. It is located off Randall Road very close to I-90, which takes you into the city.

Rich Phillips
The Paul Wolff campground is in Elgin, IL. (28W385, Big Timber Rd, Elgin, IL 60124) It is a very nice place and makes access to the city fairly easy. This is the one we will stay at when we head back north.
Don and Joan
2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2010 Ford F250 SD 4x2 Air Bag Assist

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
Paul Wolf County Forest preserve camp ground is a very nice camp ground. Wide level sites, concrete pads, 30/50 amp , water, no sewer hookup but two dump stations. One in park and one on the way out. Water pressure isn't very good, well water, very hard and rusty. Two train stations within 6 miles that will take you downtown Chicago. $25.00 dollars a night for nonresident Kane County. 5 minutes from I90 that takes you downtown Chicago . I stay there twice a year. Starts to fill up fast after Wednesday so try to plan on getting there Monday or Tuesday if possible. First come first serve. Also lots of walking trails on property.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
Thanks for all the suggestions!! It appears that we will skip Chicago this trip. We have two dogs we have to worry with too.
2004 ALiner Expedition
2008 Trailmanor 2330
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 ks
2008 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 V-8 with Tow Package
Burnking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #17
Koa Chicago in Union

I had a good experience at the KOA in Union.

You can find the entire review here if you like. Schultefam - RV Park Reviews
haplo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Burnking View Post
Going to be in northern Ill. this next summer. Does anyone know of a nice park to use as a base to visit Chicago?

I read this entire thread. I live less than 5 miles from the Union KOA. It's not a bad place. You are forgetting to check out some of the county forest preserves in the area. Some offer hookups and others just electric and such. Marengo Ridge

As for touring Chicago the only way to do it is to take the train into downtown. Weekend all you can ride passes are 8$ each. and the train line runs well out to the far suburbs. I live 8 miles from one of the towns where the train stops. I commuted to downtown from where I live for almost 10 years for work. Some train stations have free parking others charge depending on whether its a weekend or weekday. During the week ticket prices are higher but parking downtown winds up being about the same cost and lots more aggravation.

There are a couple of private campgrounds in the area but like someone said they are mostly seasonal sites. There is one south of Marengo where I have lived for 20+ years and I don't even recall the name of it. Kane county has several forest preserves that offer camping and would also have access to the metra train lines.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #19
Last year we stayed at the Indiana Dunes State park and rode the train into Chicago. The South Shore Line has a depot near the park's entrance with plenty of parking. Once in the city you can take the "L" or Metra to other areas. We went into the city four days were able to access all of the major attractions with little difficulty.
TxPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Burnking View Post
Going to be in northern Ill. this next summer. Does anyone know of a nice park to use as a base to visit Chicago?

Look into Illinois State Beach in Zion, IL.

2013 F150
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote