Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

RV Parks near Chicago

Going to be in northern Ill. this next summer. Does anyone know of a nice park to use as a base to visit Chicago?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Not sure how far out of town you want to be. Hickory Hollow Campground just off I-80 in Utica, IL is pretty nice. But you'll be over 90 min to downtown. There's also Starved Rock State Park in the same area. There's also a KOA just north of Hickory Hollow, but I've never been there. There's some interesting things to do in this area - bike path, I&M canal boat ride, hiking, COE's Starved Rock Lock and Dam on the Illinois river.

Hickory Hollow Campground - Outdoor Pool - Playground - Free WiFi throughout the park

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/C...arvedRock.aspx

http://www.lasallecanalboat.org/

Illinois Waterway VisitorÔ€™s Center - Starved Rock State ParkStarved Rock State Park

Farther north, there's the Chicago Northwest KOA in Union, IL. Also in Union is one of the best railroad museums in the country, the Illinois Railway Museum.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/chicago/?..._campaign=Yext

http://www.irm.org/

There are several campgrounds east of Belvidere, IL, but I don't know much about them. Seem to cater to seasonal people.

Right down the road from me in Rockford, IL is Blackhawk Valley. I haven't stayed there, but is looks OK. It's about 2 hrs from Rockford to downtown Chicago.

http://www.blackhawkvalleycampground.com/

We also have Rock Cut State Park north of Rockford. We've stayed there, it's pretty nice.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/RockCut.aspx

Hope this helps.

Go to Bing Maps or Google Maps and put in "Campgrounds Chicago, IL" and you'll get a bunch and you can see where they're located in relation to Chicago and the suburbs.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks Rockfordroo, the KOA in Union is about all I could find. Mixed reviews.

I guess the way to see Chicago is not in an RV!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnking View Post
Thanks Rockfordroo, the KOA in Union is about all I could find. Mixed reviews.

I guess the way to see Chicago is not in an RV!
Yeah. We faced a similar issue regarding NYC about 15 yrs ago. Only CG nearby is part of a HUGE parking lot in Jersey City, NJ, just north of Liberty State Park, where people who take the water taxis over to Manhattan park. I would never go there again.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

If you want to visit Chicago there is a small county park ( Kane County ) in Big Rock IL. This has level sites with electric but no sewer, dump station in park, I think there is water onsite but not sure or a fresh water fill station. My cousin has stayed there and said it was nice and had everything for him in a hybrid trailer. I have not been there but have driven by the campground and looked half full with campers.

This park is about 40 miles west of Chicago off of RT56 that will merge you on to Interstate 88, which will take you into Chicago. Or you could take a train in from Aurora IL and leave the car at the train station. This is what we do every winter when we go to Chicago.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Hi,

In addition to Big Rock, Kane County Forest Preserve district also operates Paul Wolff campground. It is located off Randall Road very close to I-90, which takes you into the city.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

DW & I visited Chicago last summer. We stayed in Kankakee, Ill at the Kankakee South KOA. We left the trailer there - went into the city to a hotel for one night - then returned to Kankakee. The drive into the city to 75-80 minutes. I would not recommend fighting that traffic multiple days in a row...particularly on vacation!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Hi,

Good luck on finding any route from a decent campground into the city itself that does not involve sitting in traffic for quite a while. (Insert sad grin based on years of experience living in the West suburbs).

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
jeff

You can check out Chain O Lakes S.P by Fox Lake. I stay there often. From Fox Lake ( 10-15 min from the S.P.)you can park at the train station and take Metra downtown and not have to hassle with traffic, tolls($) and parking ($$) especially, if you're not real familiar with where you are going. Trains run all the time from Fox Lake to Ogilvie trans center in downtown Chgo. Look online for Metra schedule. IMHO that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes and I wanted to see the attractions in Chicago!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Depending on how far North (about 1 hour plus traffic) you may want to look at Illinois Beach State Park. Not too far from the train which can take you into Chicago or I-94 to drive in.

Dave