Old 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
San Antonio to Tucson

Will be visiting San Antonio this January then on to Tucson. My question is how is the drive. I'll be in 31 ft Forest River Forester dolly towing my car. Is it an easy drive, mountains are mentioned, is there a lot of up and down or a pretty straight shot. We were thinking about stopping in Van Horn for the night. Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
It's long and boring. It's I10. It's an Interstate. What more is there to say.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Long rolling hills from San Antonio to west side of Kerrville, Tx. is what I remember.
Towns are longer distance apart after Kerville. You will need to plan for fuel stops.
Lots of deer crossing the road in west Texas so keep a sharp eye out for them.
Only mountains I remember are off in the distance. For the most part the terrain is flat.
Maybe someone else, who knows the area, will chime in here.
Have a great trip.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Not a tough drive. Keep an eye on your fuel. Some of the towns are pretty far apart. Keep an eye on the weather. Possible snow or ice on some areas.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
The drive is really pretty easy just get on I-10 and set the cruise, itís almost 900 miles.

I grew up in El Paso so Iíve traveled the area, Iíve never been impressed with Van Horn and if it were me I would look at Fort Stockton and then Las Cruces.

Fort Stockton is a nice little cozy town. Good Sam lists a nice park there. In Cruces you have Mesilla Park and the legend of Billy the Kid and some of the best TexMex food in the world (itís worth a few days).

Like has been said youíll be driving through hundreds of miles of nothing so be mindful of it. Donít worry about the mountains, El Paso is at the end of them so you will go around them on 10.

Hopefully you have the time to enjoy the journey.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist
West's flat til it isn't. You climb to almost 4500ft, but it's very do-able. Easy drive, but easy for your attention to wander because of the vast sameness. Speed limits mostly 80mph - but that really doesn't figure in towing a rig. DO pay attention to your gas gauge cuz fuel stops tend to be a bit scarce in places
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Road Trip (8).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	66834  
Dan, Carolyn & The Bandit (1999-2015 RIP...)
MCPO (Retired)
United States Navy ('65 - '87)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
For us.....

The most fun part of the trip was see the BEWARE OF RATTLESNAKES signs posted in the rest areas! Not likely to encounter any in January or February, but, great photo opp of the signs!

And yes, do be cautious. Weather does change quickly in the w Texas / New Mexico portion of the trip. We were extra days (gladly) in Amarillo due to weather.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Please keep in mind that at that time of year you could be in a snow storm along IH 10. I years past I have been in snow storms in El Paso and southern NM near Deming. Good Luck

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote