Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

SD-44 through Badlands Nat Pk

I'm taking a trip to Mt Rushmore and we would like to go through the Badlands from I90 west bound. I see that SD-44 goes through there, but I would like some first hand experience as to whether that is a safe road to pull a camper. Thanks for your help.

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

It is 240 that goes through the park. RV's are OK on that road and a lot of the overlooks are large. There was some construction between 90 and the visitors center last year, you can check if it is still going. There are a lot of hills and curves but nothing really tight.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
It is 240 that goes through the park. RV's are OK on that road and a lot of the overlooks are large. There was some construction between 90 and the visitors center last year, you can check if it is still going. There are a lot of hills and curves but nothing really tight.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

I checked it out on Google Earth and it looks awesome! Thanks!

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

johngoat2002
We just travelled I-90 to the Badlands from Rapid City SD.
The drove into the park is good and does have pull-offs to take pictures.
Now we were driving a car and returned to Rapid City using 44 which is a great scenic route after you leave the Badlands.
No problem pulling your camper into the park but they do have a few over night campgrounds just outside the north gate to the park..
Where do you plan to stay?
The trip to Mt Rushmore is beautiful as this is the first time.
The evening light show at 9:30PM is also a treat.
Crazy Horse was interesting but cost $33.00 for the car and 4 passengers.
The weather is starting to cool down a bit which is good.

We are heading east to Sioux Falls tomorrow heading to Goshen IN for the FROG Rally.

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
johngoat2002
Now we were driving a car and returned to Rapid City using 44 which is a great scenic route after you leave the Badlands.
No problem pulling your camper into the park but they do have a few over night campgrounds just outside the north gate to the park..

We are heading east to Sioux Falls tomorrow heading to Goshen IN for the FROG Rally.

Iggy

We are stopping at Sioux Falls in two days. Let me know how the sights are.

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #6

Iggy and Johngoat2002: If you're coming to Sioux Falls, you're just in time for the Air Show. I've been listening to the Blue Angels overhead for 2 days now during practice for the show on Sat. and Sun. Spectacular! For a full schedule of things going on at the air field this week for the Air Show, click here. Hope you all can make it!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
johngoat2002

Iggy
Sounds like a lot of things have changed since I was there last. Never use to charge anything except to travel on high way that went through the park. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Sounds like a lot of things have changed since I was there last. Never use to charge anything except to travel on high way that went through the park. Later RJD

As you know, it's all about the money... But I've heard you can see the Crazy Horse monument from the road without paying and going through the tourist shops.

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngoat2002 View Post
As you know, it's all about the money... But I've heard you can see the Crazy Horse monument from the road without paying and going through the tourist shops.

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
Save your money on Crazy Horse for other things. There is a commuter lot at the entrance. You can see all that there is to see, except for the museum and movie.

Also, if you need any kind of service, Dakota Discount Rv is awesome. I can't say enough good things about them.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #10

We did 44 last fall pulling our 5th wheel, it's a great road but watch your speed. The heat of the sun causes asphalt heaves which cause odd mounds which if your going a bit fast can throw you. Very scenic. Have fun.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #11

I have to disagree with the comments on Crazy Horse. I visit the area every year for the Sturgis Bike Rally and Crazy Horse is the one thing we make sure we see every year. It is being built with private funds and I look at my entry fee as my donation to that cause. It is loaded with Indian history and culture. The night time show there is far superior to the one at Mount Rushmore. I saw them both last year. In fact we went back to watch the Crazy Horse show a second time. I leave for my South Dakota trip in the morning and I'll be visiting Crazy Horse next Wednesday or Thursday for about the 20th time.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
Unlike rushmore that was funded by the government , crazyhorse is all public donations and the price of admission . this is what pays for crazyhorse . yes you can see it from the road and it will be nice when finished maybe my granddaughter will see it complete . so paying to go in see the movie and the exhibits is well worth it the price of $33 for 4 people . so it isn't really all about the money except for whats needed to run it and work on it . much better then having to pay to get into national parks that not only charge you entrance fees but collect tax payer money also
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobneal69 View Post
I have to disagree with the comments on Crazy Horse. I visit the area every year for the Sturgis Bike Rally and Crazy Horse is the one thing we make sure we see every year. It is being built with private funds and I look at my entry fee as my donation to that cause. It is loaded with Indian history and culture. The night time show there is far superior to the one at Mount Rushmore. I saw them both last year. In fact we went back to watch the Crazy Horse show a second time. I leave for my South Dakota trip in the morning and I'll be visiting Crazy Horse next Wednesday or Thursday for about the 20th time.

Hitting the rally early ? i'll be there aug 7th through the 13th
Old 07-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Hitting the rally early ? i'll be there aug 7th through the 13th
Plans are to arrive in Custer Tuesday. I am staying at the Custer / Mount Rushmore KOA four nights, then I don't know where I am staying three nights, then we move to Chris' Camp in Spearfish for two weeks. While in Custer we will do the southern stuff like Needles Highway, Crazy Horse, Hill City, Custer State Park, and Keystone. We don't hit the rally stuff too heavy. We usually hit downtown Sturgis once. We usually see the well known places like Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, Bear Butte, and the biker bars every other year or so hitting some in one year and the others another year. We do a lot of relaxing and spend a little time in Deadwood. We go early and leave late. We like to miss the heavy traffic both coming and going and it's fun watching the bikers arrive and then leave a week later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150806_141516_Main St.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	115024  
Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm taking a trip to Mt Rushmore and we would like to go through the Badlands from I90 west bound. I see that SD-44 goes through there, but I would like some first hand experience as to whether that is a safe road to pull a camper. Thanks for your help.

Flagstaff FS26
2007 Dodge Cummins
I pulled my 38' Columbus 320RS with a bike trailer behind it last year on both loops with no problems. The Interior KOA was very nice. I spent a couple of nights there. There is another nice looking RV park at Cowboy Corner. I could probably find the name and number if anyone needed it. I then took the back road into Rapid City on my way to Custer. Again no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_084102_Ann Ave.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	115027  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Plans are to arrive in Custer Tuesday. I am staying at the Custer / Mount Rushmore KOA four nights, then I don't know where I am staying three nights, then we move to Chris' Camp in Spearfish for two weeks. While in Custer we will do the southern stuff like Needles Highway, Crazy Horse, Hill City, Custer State Park, and Keystone. We don't hit the rally stuff too heavy. We usually hit downtown Sturgis once. We usually see the well known places like Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, Bear Butte, and the biker bars every other year or so hitting some in one year and the others another year. We do a lot of relaxing and spend a little time in Deadwood. We go early and leave late. We like to miss the heavy traffic both coming and going and it's fun watching the bikers arrive and then leave a week later.
I'll keep an eye out for that hat roaming around . I have friends that live there . they have a house in boulder canyon between deadwood and sturgis . we do all the rides also and enjoy the rally , hitting all the vendor booths , always one night out where we get dropped off and picked up so we can just have fun and not ride . one eyed jacks is where we do our night out mostly or at least we always end up there .
I'm riding out from West Yellowstone leave on the 6th
Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Enjoy and be safe. Crazy Horse will be the destination, when it is a little further along. I may have to give it more of a chance next time we go back, based on your comments. [emoji14]

By the way. You're only about 10 miles from me. I live in Liberty, MO, just down the road! Maybe we can swap stories some time? Keep it wheels down and between the ditches!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote