Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
about 10 or 12 years ago the upper reservoir broke and the evidence of the breach is still there. You will see it when you enter the JSI SP. There is a swath of the forest still visible from the top of the mountain straight into the SP. The Resident Rangers house was blown away by the force of the millions of gallons of water rushing down the mountain. he and family were NOT at home that friday night so my understanding is no casualties but an incredible event. The JSI Visitor Center was destroyed and since rebuilt and relocated out of the path of the reservoir and up on a hill side.
During the night in Dec of 2005, the upper reservoir was overfilled and the fail-safes that were in place failed. The water flowing over the top of the reservoir caused one side of the dam to collapse sending a billion gallons of water down into the valley where Johnsonís Shut-ins park was located.

The house that the park superintendent and his family lived in was in the path of the water and the deluge obliterated the house. Keep in mind that it was December and the temps were below freezing. Rescue workers found all five family members alive but suffering from hypothermia. The worst injury was to the young boy who suffered a burn on his leg from treatment for hypothermia.

The park superintendent settled out of court with the electric company and still works for the Missouri parks department in a different part of the state.

By the way, the original campground was directly in the path of the deluge of water and had this happened in the summer it would have been an even worse disaster.

My wife and I camped at the new campground at Johnson Shut-Ins shortly before the official reopening. Here's a link to a report I posted on another website back in 2010 about the new campground. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Johnson's Shut-ins w/pics

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Bennett Spring State Park Is another good Park. It is a recreational trout fishing park. Three dollars a day for a daily trout tag. The lower camp ground is a full hook-up park with three other electrical camp grounds in the park. Lot of fun and a lot to do around the area.
P.S.
We only live 5 miles west of the park on highway 64 in the little gray house with white pillars. My wife and I hosted most a lot of the state parks in Missouri when we were traveling. Missouri is a good place to visit and has a good state park system. They also have corps of engineer parks which also have nice parks. Stockton state park is beautiful park. Hope this helps

Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
During the night in Dec of 2005, the upper reservoir was overfilled and the fail-safes that were in place failed. The water flowing over the top of the reservoir caused one side of the dam to collapse sending a billion gallons of water down into the valley where Johnsonís Shut-ins park was located.

The house that the park superintendent and his family lived in was in the path of the water and the deluge obliterated the house. Keep in mind that it was December and the temps were below freezing. Rescue workers found all five family members alive but suffering from hypothermia. The worst injury was to the young boy who suffered a burn on his leg from treatment for hypothermia.

The park superintendent settled out of court with the electric company and still works for the Missouri parks department in a different part of the state.

By the way, the original campground was directly in the path of the deluge of water and had this happened in the summer it would have been an even worse disaster.

My wife and I camped at the new campground at Johnson Shut-Ins shortly before the official reopening. Here's a link to a report I posted on another website back in 2010 about the new campground. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Johnson's Shut-ins w/pics
Bob, great follow up. Your memory is a little bit better than mine. Although I do remember seeing the reports on the local STL news the evening it happened. I was a miracle no one was killed. We visited the new camp ground, down the road now, and the park about 5 years ago and was amazed at the huge boulders that were moved and the parks department rerouted the road around several of the boulders.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #14

This is awesome! Thank you all for the replies, local parks/day trip information, and the JSI reservoir history! Our planed arrive date is May 14th so Iíll be reserving a site at JSI this Saturday when the 6 months in advance reservation window is open. Looking forward to getting through the cold MN winter and then enjoying some warm spring temps in Missouri!
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN John View Post
This is awesome! Thank you all for the replies, local parks/day trip information, and the JSI reservoir history! Our planed arrive date is May 14th so I’ll be reserving a site at JSI this Saturday when the 6 months in advance reservation window is open. Looking forward to getting through the cold MN winter and then enjoying some warm spring temps in Missouri!
Another thought I just remembered was at the JSI Campground we had a clear view of Taum Sauk Mountain at our site. While enjoying our late evening campfire and some adult beverages we could hear coyotes howling back and forth to one another in the distance toward the mountain. Their howls filled the valley and was very erie to listen to them cry. I still remember the goose bumps I got while listening to them howl.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #16

i have not stayed at either but if your looking for motor cycle riding country northern Arkansas has some of the best motor cycle riding roads if you like
beautiful country and winding roads make it down there
actually after three days of riding down there all i wanted was a straight open highway

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
i have not stayed at either but if your looking for motor cycle riding country northern Arkansas has some of the best motor cycle riding roads if you like
beautiful country and winding roads make it down there
actually after three days of riding down there all i wanted was a straight open highway
Thanks for the feedback. After doing a quick search, it appears that heading south is definitely the direction to go with the bike. Iíll see if I can get a day trip route planed that will get us into northern Arkansas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ark.png
Views:	107
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	94215  
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #18

Check out Ozarks RV Resort. We keep our fifth wheel there and it is an awesome park with GREAT motorcycle rides all over. It is on Table Rock Lake and is a beautiful park. We love it!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #19

DH and I go to Table Rock State park every year in mid May ourselves, we usually have to book at least 6 months in advance.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #20
cogito ergo moo

another park to think of is Hawn State Park. Usually not crowded, but well within "day-trip" distance of Johnson Shut Ins, Elephant rock, and other places. Plus... The roads going to them are motorcycle heaven.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote