Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

Suggestions for campgrounds in N Dakota, Wisconsin & Michigan

Presently in Rapid City S Dakota and head to Goshen IN.
Need some suggestions for campgrounds in N Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin then over the top of Michigan

We are wanting to stay a few weeks here and there on our way to the FROG rally. We plan on heading to Soux Falls then north into N Dakota the east into Wisconsin. From there we plan on going into Michigan from the far north then south to Goshen.

We are looking for full hookups and if the campground has trees. (lol) we may stay a week or more. Like to hear your suggestions.

Also we are travelling with Ramair and if anyone wants to join us on the trip to Goshen please contact me and maybe we can hook up on the way.

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Iggy, Are you thinking about cutting across the U.P. of Michigan and south at the Big Mac bridge. That way you miss Chicago and the traffic. Houghton/ Hancock has a couple of small city full hookups CG and Copper Harbor has a full hook up. The way along Lake Superior has a few nice F/U CG also. Marquette has the Tourist Park with some F/U with shade. If you spy upon something online you can PM me. There are a couple I would stay away from on past experience.

ps Door county, Wi. is a great place also.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

IGGY:
We are in Minot, ND. at a nice little RV park, Roughrider Campground. We plan to spend 4 nights here, using the truck to sightsee. Today we will go to the International Peace Garden. It is 2.5 hours away so it will be a long day. Along the way will will stop at the geographical center of North America and also stop to see a 300' turtle made from truck tire rims ( how could you not want to see that?).
Tomorrow is laundry day, nice facilities here, and I need some work done on the truck.
You might consider coming to visit us!
Tom & Renée

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

When we leave here we plan ride the river road from Keiler, WI to Prescott, WI, then to the UP.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
When we leave here we plan ride the river road from Keiler, WI to Prescott, WI, then to the UP.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think we plan on going over the top to UP Michigan.

Nice route maybe on our return trip.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

It is pretty on the UP and lots to see and do. Be sure to stop in Munising at Muldoons and have a Pasty. Also consider taking the Picture Rocks boat tour for spectacular views of the rocks. The evening cruise is best. It is also in Munising.

Be sure you have lots of mosquito repellant while you are in the UP.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Camp Holiday in Boulder Jct., WI is first-rate. Great full hookup sites with cable. Wonderful folks run the place. Just a beautiful area with super rec trails, not far from the U.P.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

If your planning on stopping at all in Fargo ND., they have a nice little campground within city limits along the Red River with a lot of mature trees. I think some full hookups? Just a bit east of the I29 & I94 intersection. I think it's called Roger Maris Park.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

We like to stay at Hi-Pines in Eagle River, WI when we head to the Northwoods. It's a great area with lots of hiking trails and such. Very close to the UP as well.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

A post I had for another RVer.

Welcome to the U.P. of Michigan, home of the Yoopers! The Keweenaw (Copper Country) is home to copper miners from 1900's and all the little towns were mining locations where the miners lived and worked. Calumet is now part of a National Park that the population was over 100,000 in 1900.
I have a favorite circle tour that starts at US 41 in Hancock, thru Calumet, turn on M26 at Phoenix, follow the lake shore till the turn off to Brockway Mt. Drive, and to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has shops, motels, and restaurants to spend time at for the afternoon. Heading back south, take US 41 thru the covered road till the Lac LaBelle turn off and follow the county road into Gay, Mi. the home of the GAY BAR. Then to M26 Lake Linden and back to Hancock. Along the way are a couple of under ground mine tours, The Calumet Theater (built before 1900), old copper mines locations, Fort Wilkins built in 1846, the Keweenaw Lodge built by the WPA, light houses, Mt. Bohemia ski hill, and towns built around the 1900's. I may even take a ride to the fort for a couple of days this next week or so.
If you need more info, I'm a mile south of Chassell on US41 with the Wildcat in the yard.
:signhavefun

Ed Lindgren 906-370-4825
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

I would suggest two camp grounds in the lower portion of Michigan; they are Poncho's Pond RV park in Ludington MI and Sunny Brook RV resort in South Haven MI. Both are 9 or 10 rated RV park in my opinion with cement pads and full hook-ups and 50 AMP service; with lots to do in the area.

Another suggestion that you may like and a bit different is to take US 10 which enters the state at ST Paul, Minnesota. This than travels through Wisconsin ending in Manitowoc WI. You will than take the SS BADGER across Lake MI and departing on US 10 in Ludington MI. The SS. Badger is a coal fired car/truck ferry that will take you across the lake.

I have attached a link for you. https://www.ssbadger.com/
Old 07-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #12

Wilderness State Park in the top of the lower pennisula just added some full hookup sites. Haven't seen those sites yet but the campground is great.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #13
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
If your planning on stopping at all in Fargo ND., they have a nice little campground within city limits along the Red River with a lot of mature trees. I think some full hookups? Just a bit east of the I29 & I94 intersection. I think it's called Roger Maris Park.
It's called Lindenwood C/g...yes lots of mature trees in the park but not really in the campsites. Sites are very open, and very small...in some you wouldn't be able to have your awning out cause it would be almost hitting the neighbor, and it has no full hook ups, water and electrical only, but it has a dump station. We have stayed there lots and have kinda given up on it...reference to Roger Maris is that the road int the park leading to c/g is called Roger Maris Drive...a few ball parks next to the c/g and almost always some groups playing ball there.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

IGGY, be sure to get to Whitefish Point and visit the Great Lakes ship wreck museum. It is a great stop and has a big memorial to the Edmond Fritzgerald freighter. Very moving. It is a great museum.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #15

More UP Campgrounds

Just about as soon as you enter the UP from Wisconsin you should visit Lake Gogebic State Park which is a modern campground on the shores of Lake Gogebic and a close drive to Porcupine Mountains and Lake of the Clouds. They have full hookups, modern showers and pump out facilities there.

Michigan Recreation Search Site Details Page

If you are interested in history don't miss Fayette Historic Park 13 miles south of US2 on M183 (turn south on 183 at the Garden Corners blinker). This park is a "semi modern" campground on the shores of Lake Michigan with 50amp hookups. There are no showers here but if you are interested in history the historic park is an 1860's iron ore smelter and the town is largely restored by various universities nestled around a limestone walled deep harbor known as Snail Harbor. You can spend a day walking the restored buildings and learn of a time when iron ore was smelted and shipped as iron ingots rather than taconite pellets which contain iron ore but has to be smelted before you get iron ore or can make steel. The idea was you shipped already refined product without the slag waste of taconite.

Michigan Recreation Search Site Details Page

The Michigan DNR website that hosts both of these campgrounds also contains a list of all Michigan State Parks with details of what each park offers in the way of amenities and things to do.
DynaQuestDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Check out Medora North Dakota they have 2 camp grounds and make sure you take in the Medora Musical you will enjoy it
jiggingrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #17

Hidden Ridge RV Resort at exit 59 on Route 131 near Shelbyville, Mi. Great upscale family resort with paved roads and lots. All with concrete patios and full hookup 50 amp sites. Less than 2 hours from the F.R.O.G. International Rally. Others from here going to the Rally. Great place to spend some time before the Rally. The resort is mid way between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo so lots to see and do.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #18
Sham183

I don't know how far north you are going in Wisconsin but copper falls state park is a nice place to go. But there are tons of county and state parks with camping in the north woods area of Wisconsin. We go to apple river and go tubing every couple years. Also try wolf river area. These are just places to have some fun but areas around have plenty of spots to camp. The Wisconsin DNR web site has all the state parks and what they have as far as hook ups go and if they allow animals and all that good stuff. Here is the link.
Wisconsin Department of Natural ...
dnr.wi.gov.

If you come more south east door county is always a good spot. You can always make a stop in Green Bay and do the lambeau feild tour. So it really depends on where your plan takes you. The Wisconsin dells is always worth checking out to.

Good luck and safe travels!
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

Hidden Ridge RV Resort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469375505137.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	115083  

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #20

Iggy,where are you located NOW? Members are "Shot Gunning" locations that you may already be Past! Are you "More or Less' following US # 2 across the Top? Youroo!!

Tags
mpg