Old 07-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Tennessee During Winter Months

I was hoping/thinking about spending the winter months in Tennessee. Does anyone know if this is possible? Does it get too cold to where I can't have running water? I don't have a specific area in mind, only one that will allow me to do this. Running water and sewer is essential.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Team

I've gone to pigeon forge, Gatlinburg area several times in the fall and it's great. Going again in Oct this year. Spent week between Christmas and new years there once in a cabin and it snowed quite a bit. Was below freezing at night.
Hopefully someone with winter RV experience there will chime in for you.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I've gone to pigeon forge, Gatlinburg area several times in the fall and it's great. Going again in Oct this year. Spent week between Christmas and new years there once in a cabin and it snowed quite a bit. Was below freezing at night.
Hopefully someone with winter RV experience there will chime in for you.
We are going to Gatlinburg in October also. Which CG do you prefer? Would not go there in winter, we winter in Florida. It would be more comfortable at home in SE Coastal NC than TN during winter.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

Upper east TN can get really cold and freezing will happen.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshbrian68 View Post
I was hoping/thinking about spending the winter months in Tennessee. Does anyone know if this is possible? Does it get too cold to where I can't have running water? I don't have a specific area in mind, only one that will allow me to do this. Running water and sewer is essential.
I live 60 miles northwest of Memphis in NE Arkansas--pretty much same latitude and climate as most of TN. You will definitely have periods of freezing weather. We usually get 2-4 winter storms per year that could include some combination of ice, snow, or sleet that last a few days to a week each.

There are also a couple of spells where, although sunny, the high won't get above freezing for several days at a time. Most nights Dec 1-Mar 1 will be below freezing. Places with some elevation like the Ozarks and Appalachians will be slightly colder.

Then there are always the couple weeks that are warm (70s during Christmas). Some weeks you'd be fine, others there's no way you'd have running water. I'd definitely say not in Jan and Feb. Even northern Mississippi and Alabama where I grew up will have periods of freezing weather/snow/ice where you wouldn't have running water, although less frequent.

About the only place you can bet on temps above freezing most of the winter is the Gulf coastal plain: LA, southern MS, AL, GA and FL, although it's not unheard of. I'd draw a line that extends from Shreveport, LA, straight across to Savannah, GA, and stay below that to maximize your chances.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Tennessee in the winter

It all depends on where in Tennessee. If you are visiting the Smoky Mountains (Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge, Sevierville), you should expect snow and colder temps as you will be at higher elevation. Going further west (Nashville or Memphis) will give you a much better chance of the temps staying above freezing.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Lived in TN for three years and our daughter lives there now so we're frequent visitors. I can tell you we've spent Christmas week in the RV outside Nashville and it was cold enough the campground would shut of the water if you were gone. We saw temps down to zero and just below in Nashville and as cold as -20F in upper East Tennessee. Of course, we saw temps in the teens first of November a couple of years ago in Nashville, too. Just figure it WILL be cold!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

X2 on what gspot101 said. I live on the west side of Atlanta and we get occasional snow, most of the time is only 1-2". We also get freezing weather although not for any extended period of time, maybe a couple days off and on. The line that gspot mentioned is pretty accurate. It can still freeze in the panhandle of Florida a few times during the winter. No way will you be able to have running water in Tennessee in the dead of winter unless you have heat traced water lines and heated underbelly. All of the state parks close in winter.
Camped 2016 - 71, 2017 3 done - 28 nights booked - 7 more planned
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

I live in Sevier County, home to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. There are quite a few folks living full time in their campers here. Some campgrounds do close, but there are several open year round. You'll need a heated water hose to keep your line from freezing and a lot of the full timers will put up some sort of foam type board insulation around the base of their units. I would think keeping your unit warm and keeping the fresh tank full just in case the campground water gets shut down for a few days and you should be fine. I'm sure if you got to your location and settled in you could get lot's of advice from those already set up. I don't know when you are planning to head to TN but I wouldn't wait much past mid-late November, to allow time to set up and prepare before any hard freezes come along.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

We are going to Pigeon forge in October for a week and staying at KOA. We bought our camper in May and are still newbies.

Tags
winter