Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Texas Flooding 2016

Needing some advice from someone with a more local perspective...

We have a trip planned in early July with about 5 days devoted to TX; already reserved sites and scoped out where we were wanting to go.

Dinosaur Valley SP, then on down to Galveston at Sandpiper right on the gulf. Planning on doing a couple small sightseeing things in between, as well.

My question is, how much of this will still likely be closed because of the floods? I'm not local so I am unsure of these places being impacted heavily.

I know y'all are having a rough go down there and can relate, I am up in St. Louis area and we get our fair share of major flood events; hoping for the best for all involved.

Thanks.

🇺🇸CavSGT🇺🇸

2017 Vibe 308BHS
2004 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
CavSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #2

Well of course it all depends on how much the rain continues, but in a normal year, things should be dried out by July.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Thanks, I figured that. I am more wondering about those specific places and how hard they were/are being impacted, because I'm about a month out now and I know it will take time for clean up efforts after the water recedes also.

🇺🇸CavSGT🇺🇸

2017 Vibe 308BHS
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

As of tonight Galveston is ok. Tides are not real high. Because of the location of Sandpiper water should drain directly to the Gulf. I would check with them a couple of days in advance to be sure. Weather underground as a pretty good site with tide info etc.

2012 F250 gas 373 gear
2013 Mini Lite 2104S
Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Texas State Parks with Alerts — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

Thank you so much! That link is great information!

🇺🇸CavSGT🇺🇸

2017 Vibe 308BHS
Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Another great park in that area is lake mineral wells, has a great rock climbing area (must have own equipment), lake and some good moutain bike/hiking trails
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

TX is currently dry, not much rain forecasted for the next week. You'll enjoy Sandpiper, but there is very little shade don't get a space that faces Seawall Blvd, it's outside of the grounds & can get noisy. Enjoy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavSGT View Post
Needing some advice from someone with a more local perspective...

We have a trip planned in early July with about 5 days devoted to TX; already reserved sites and scoped out where we were wanting to go.

Dinosaur Valley SP, then on down to Galveston at Sandpiper right on the gulf. Planning on doing a couple small sightseeing things in between, as well.

My question is, how much of this will still likely be closed because of the floods? I'm not local so I am unsure of these places being impacted heavily.

I know y'all are having a rough go down there and can relate, I am up in St. Louis area and we get our fair share of major flood events; hoping for the best for all involved.

Thanks.

🇺🇸CavSGT🇺🇸

2017 Vibe 308BHS
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

I have lived in SE Texas for 41 years and you should be ok with floods during July.
Please take note of the above poster who warned of the no shade in Galveston RV park.
We in SE Texas have the very worst summer weather in the US! No exception! For the past few days in the Houston area it has been in the upper 90s with feel like temps of around 110 F. That is not really out of the order. That is normal. We don't do RVing in SE Texas during the summer. We try to go north, far north. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote