Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Texas State Parks

Most of our travels relate to 2 things, first is business (I hate hotels) and secondly dogs, I compete in retriever field trials. We spend almost 100 days a year in the RV.

I was doing some planning this morning and had a thought I'd like to share;

The best places we stay are almost always at Texas State Parks. They are always clean, very well maintained, security is wonderful and just a great experience.

If there is a state park near where we are going we almost always stay there.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

The one drawback I think is all the Texas State Parks I look at do not allow you to reserve specific sites, just guarantee a site. Not a problem at most but at the really popular ones (Enchanted Rock, Inks Lake, etc) it can be frustrating.
8 Nights Camping in 2015
9 Nights Camping in 2016
daveclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Texas state parks

I enjoy Texas state parks also ,but their policy of charging for a camp site then charging $7.00 per person in the camper kinda make me only camp in Texas when I have to.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
I enjoy Texas state parks also ,but their policy of charging for a camp site then charging $7.00 per person in the camper kinda make me only camp in Texas when I have to.

If you visit them enough the annual pass pays for itself, but yeah, it is a big negative otherwise. I prefer Corps of Engineer parks for several reasons.
8 Nights Camping in 2015
9 Nights Camping in 2016
daveclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

We camped in various Texas State Parks between 2009 and 2012...I don't recall paying for each person...only the site?
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

We really like Texas State Parks as well. What we like:

1. A gate for security- many other states parks (OK and AR, for example) have no restricted access to the campgrounds. Any thief or child molester can drive right on in without checking in with anyone. Most corps parks have a gate as well, so we stay at them quite often, too. We really like many parks in OK an AR, but I tend to be more "on guard" there.
2. Regular patrolling with an officer on staff. Like this about most COE parks, too.
3. No open containers, which results in pretty much NO partying idiots.
4. Lots of sites with W/E and a considerable number with sewer as well. Never even knew why a fresh water tank was a standard item until I started doing some camping a little farther North. Really sucks not having a direct water hookup once you've become accustomed to having it.
5. Ample room with some campsite privacy. Some of our long distance destinations we are considering would require staying in private parks. I keep putting them off because I can't stomach the thought of having my neighbor so close I can touch both campers at the same time. That's not camping to me.

As far as the entrance fee- I think that is really a push to get people to buy the pass. If you pay to camp there, you should NOT have to pay an entrance fee, but it is a big money maker, I'm sure. With that being said, if you stay at a really nice private park for 3 nights you probably would have saved enough to buy a park pass in campsite savings. Remember that with the park pass you get, I think, 4 coupons for 1/2 price second night of camping. If you plan to stay at several parks through the year, that covers around half the cost of the pass.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post

When we came across Texas, we ended up excluding the Texas state parks because of that and opted for private parks.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When we came across Texas, we ended up excluding the Texas state parks because of that and opted for private parks.
Man, ep, you really missed out.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715

[QUOTE=ependydad;1089055] When we came across Texas, we ended up excluding the Texas state parks because of that and opted for private parks.

All Texas state parks do charge a per person fee, but it is not always $7. Some are as low as $2. Combine that with a camping fee of around $20 for a total of $24 per day for 2 people, and that will still beat most private parks.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Man, ep, you really missed out.

It actually worked out. The first place was just for a single overnight, so cheap worked. That was Desert Willow in Van Horn, TX. $13.50.

The next stop was 2 nights and we checked out the Caverns of Sonora. Only about $25/night for those (so still cheaper than the SP for the 4 of us).

And then the next 2 stops covered a week but we picked location over anything else in order to visit friends in Austin (Oak Forest) and Houston (Rayford Crossing).
Old 01-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
It actually worked out. The first place was just for a single overnight, so cheap worked. That was Desert Willow in Van Horn, TX. $13.50.

The next stop was 2 nights and we checked out the Caverns of Sonora. Only about $25/night for those (so still cheaper than the SP for the 4 of us).

And then the next 2 stops covered a week but we picked location over anything else in order to visit friends in Austin (Oak Forest) and Houston (Rayford Crossing).
If you're ever back down this way let me know and maybe we can hit a state park with y'all. My brother lives in Houston and we visited him over Christmas. His driveway was free, so I can be enticed to venture out of the woods if the price is right.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If you're ever back down this way let me know and maybe we can hit a state park with y'all. My brother lives in Houston and we visited him over Christmas. His driveway was free, so I can be enticed to venture out of the woods if the price is right.

Sounds good! We alphabet reservations at the Alberquerque Balloon Festival in October. We'll be coming from the east- either PA/MD or from Florida. So I don't know exact route just yet.

PM me with where you are.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

I love state parks! I love camping at them 10x more than COE parks! The park pass is well worth it if you live in Texas! My only problem with state parks is not being able to reserve specific camp sites!

A normal camping weekend for my family and I is Friday night till Sunday. Friday at work I am chewing my finger nails off hoping that the good sights are still available when we get there! Normally I bug my wife enough she will drive her car to where we are camping and claim the site (if they let her, sometimes they say if your not staying you can't reserve a site).
Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #14

[QUOTE=banda;1089075]Quote:

Quote:

All Texas state parks do charge a per person fee, but it is not always $7. Some are as low as $2. Combine that with a camping fee of around $20 for a total of $24 per day for 2 people, and that will still beat most private parks.
Here is the website for Texas State Parks. Generally, $4.00 per person a day. BUT, if you intend to use the park system frequently, purchase the Texas State Park pass for $70.00 a year. You will recover the $70.00 in a short period of time and have the remainder of the year to save additional fee's. "Do the math"! Four coupons for one day of half price on a campsite and NO entrance fee's throughout your stay, whether camping or not! The coupons are usable only for the second night of camping and one coupon per visit. TPWD: Campsites
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

[QUOTE=l001952119;1131811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Quote:

Here is the website for Texas State Parks. Generally, $4.00 per person a day. BUT, if you intend to use the park system frequently, purchase the Texas State Park pass for $70.00 a year. You will recover the $70.00 in a short period of time and have the remainder of the year to save additional fee's. "Do the math"! Four coupons for one day of half price on a campsite and NO entrance fee's throughout your stay, whether camping or not! The coupons are usable only for the second night of camping and one coupon per visit. TPWD: Campsites
Here is the Texas State Park Pass website!
Park Passes — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote