Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Thats sure a nice looking site/cabin, but from what I've read, the fact that those cabins exist at all is part of the problem. For the long time members that means one less RV site to choose from (and usually a premium one at that).

As a newcomer, I feel bad for those who didn't get what they thought they were paying for. We bought an experimental 1y membership a few weeks ago. We only did so because we had already paid for a full week as non-members and they offered to deduct that cost from the already "sale price". This meant we got 1y for about $200. We plan to use it as much as we can this next year, but I do not expect to renew next year...partly due to the things I've learned since then, but mostly because I prefer the freedom to pick and choose the "best" CG in any given area we plan to travel to.
Well this cabin did not take a space away from an RV, the cabin was all ready on this site.
This cabin is one of 9 just like it, then there was 12 more of a different type on sites. All of the cabins in Hershey were rental units. The manager wanted to sell them for two reasons, 1. They were going to get out of the rental side of camping so that TT's could create more annual sites which brings in more money, and 2. Management did not want to put money into the cabins for repair, my cabin is a 1997 model year. We have put money in it for up grades and this year we just put 9 new windows in it.
We have had our cabin 4 years and since then TT's has added 5 new cabins as rentals.....ya, so much for getting out of the rental side. These 5 new rental cabin did in fact take 5 RV sites.
There are other annual sites but they have RV's on them and that is how we started then once the cabins became availed we bought one.
The annual sites are bringing in the money for the campground, just the membership fees cover noting this is why the annual sites are popping up more and more.
Annual sites are not cheap, we pay our annual membership dues + an annual site fee+ utilities and these fees are on every annual site and doesn't matter if there is a cabin or an RV on the site. The site fees very depending on wear you are.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Well this cabin did not take a space away from an RV, the cabin was all ready on this site.
This cabin is one of 9 just like it, then there was 12 more of a different type on sites. All of the cabins in Hershey were rental units. The manager wanted to sell them for two reasons, 1. They were going to get out of the rental side of camping so that TT's could create more annual sites which brings in more money, and 2. Management did not want to put money into the cabins for repair, my cabin is a 1997 model year. We have put money in it for up grades and this year we just put 9 new windows in it.
We have had our cabin 4 years and since then TT's has added 5 new cabins as rentals.....ya, so much for getting out of the rental side. These 5 new rental cabin did in fact take 5 RV sites.
There are other annual sites but they have RV's on them and that is how we started then once the cabins became availed we bought one.
The annual sites are bringing in the money for the campground, just the membership fees cover noting this is why the annual sites are popping up more and more.
Annual sites are not cheap, we pay our annual membership dues + an annual site fee+ utilities and these fees are on every annual site and doesn't matter if there is a cabin or an RV on the site. The site fees very depending on wear you are.
I was wondering what is the cost to join TT and I know that they have zones that you have to pick. But once a member what will it cost a person per year to camp, or is it free after you join? Do you have to pay for maintenance, power or water. It seems as if it sort of like a time share Condo? What happens if you do not use it at all one year? Are they allowed to rent your space if you are not using it. What happens if I pick like the eastern zone but I want to travel to California, can you use other sites free in different zones? Really don't know to much about them. But I thought I seen that thing about a zone you need to pick. Is the savings really that great compared to staying at public CG'S?...Thanks

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #53

If you buy a zone pass you can only camp in the zone you bought, that is why it's best to buy when they offer by one zone get one free. I think it was around $500 a zone for 30 nights of camping, over 30 nights then became $5 @ night, not a bad deal.
If you bought s full membership the cost varied on the level, ours was bought back in 1988 by the in-laws at a cost of around $8,000( way to steep for my taste) but they enjoyed it and used it a lot, their dues are frozen at around $430 @ year unlimited camping nights, 21 days in a row and park to park privileges. Now we are the ones to enjoy
You pay your yearly dues whether you use it or not, that is why you see them for sale and that is also the best way to purchase one now, as stated before somewhere here, get the membership # call the main office and ask them what it includes. This is not for everyone you get what you put into it to use it, some years it's good and some it's not and sometimes the parks are not in a area you want to be at but it might be close enough to work out.
It would be nice to see improvements made in ALL of the parks, maybe in time it will happen. I did find out from a manager at a park that ALL OF THE MONEY paid for the annual sites go back to corporate, I feel that at least half of that money should stay in the park collected at for improvements, just my opinion.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #54

I am not sure I find the NorthEast Zone worth it, besides all my friends with RV's like to go to the same place all the time as where I like going different places and trying new ones, but joined Good Sam so even if I book 5 night somewhere with the 10% savings I recoup my $25 yearly fee so I am good with it. North East Zone is less than desire able for us because it has 3 in NJ and 5 in PA but the others are far away and you do not get to book a specific site as with CG that you pay for you can or at least the ones I have used. TT was given to us with our newly purchased 2012 Shasta 27 but I won't buy it again not for $540 per year and another $800 per Zone for the same 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #55

It does not sound to me that TT is a good deal at all. To me, it fails the cost vs. benefit test.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From what I've learned from talking to other members, it seems that the west coast TT parks are nice and are continually being upgraded. Not the case in the Midwest and Southeast.

The west coast parks are no where near nice Morgan hill looks like a slum constant police activity in there for people dealing there illegal stuff, rigs getting broken it to, garbage all over and people dumping on the ground. Russian river not much better more of the same. San Benito not much better good luck finding a site with power they have over 500 sites half have no power. Rancho Oso and lake of the springs are two of the nicer ones in the west they take care of that park. In my years of being a member a lot of what the parks look like has to do with the regional manager that is over those parks the one that's in control of Morgan hill,San Benito and Russian river all are crap is the regional manager dose not want to spend her money given to her by corporate to fix the parks

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
It does not sound to me that TT is a good deal at all. To me, it fails the cost vs. benefit test.

When I first joined the parks were kept in great shape if I didn't have a lifetime membership I would have bailed long time ago

Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #58
Mod free 5er

As I stated before, neglecting the original fee to join, it is a good deal for us to use in the winter. We will end up this winter 14/15 (Dec-Mar) using TT Orlando/Kissimmee a total of 75 days for the annual fee of $526 which ends up being $7.01/night for full hook ups. For us, it is a good deal and Orlando is a decent, clean park that needs upgrades on roads/lighting/leveling sites. It is convenient to shopping, restaurants and for those with children, Disney.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
The west coast parks are no where near nice Morgan hill looks like a slum constant police activity in there for people dealing there illegal stuff, rigs getting broken it to, garbage all over and people dumping on the ground.

Sorry to hear that. My wife and I went there several times as guests of friends who were members. This was shortly after it opened. At that time it was a really nice campground. Our kids were still small but were able to find plenty to do and really enjoyed it.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I was wondering what is the cost to join TT and I know that they have zones that you have to pick. But once a member what will it cost a person per year to camp, or is it free after you join? Do you have to pay for maintenance, power or water. It seems as if it sort of like a time share Condo? What happens if you do not use it at all one year? Are they allowed to rent your space if you are not using it. What happens if I pick like the eastern zone but I want to travel to California, can you use other sites free in different zones? Really don't know to much about them. But I thought I seen that thing about a zone you need to pick. Is the savings really that great compared to staying at public CG'S?...Thanks
The challenge is that there are so many different membership offerings.

Currently TT is pushing it's "Zone Camping Pass" which they have split the country up into 6 zones. You buy a zone for about $500/year and get 30 nights of usage for that. After 30 nights, it is a nominal fee per night (dblr says $5 and that sounds right to me). The "Zone Camping Pass" is a year-by-year choice; you are not committed to any length of time that you have to use it. If you use it this year, you can drop it next year, and pickup the one after that. You cannot use sites for free outside of your zone.

That said, there are many other types of memberships. There are memberships like dblr mention and OldCoot has where there WAS an initial buy-in fee and then you still have yearly dues. Most times, these memberships are nation-wide. Your dues are expected to be paid each year, regardless of use. I have read about the ability to put them "on hold" for some period of time.

Finally, "Is the savings really that great compared to staying at public CG'S?" - only if you use it. Currently, for my Thousand Trails nights this year, I'm at $10/night for 51 nights of usage. I can't touch other campgrounds in my area with a stick for that price.