Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Thousand Trails RV parks

We just camped the Labor Day weekend at the Lake Texoma Preserve park in Gordonville, TX. One of the Thousand Trails membership parks. To say we were disappointed would be a huge understatement in that all the literature looks like these are beautifully landscaped and maintained parks. They obviously didn't take publicity photos at this one. The roads are the worst that we have come across since...well, forever. The 5 MPH speed limit signs are unnecessary as you cannot safely travel any faster than that and control your vehicle. And we ended up camping behind a "permanent" resident that had piles of crap, fishing traps, and an old refrigerator stacked behind their trailer, which is what we saw when we looked out our front door. Nice. They were not the exception, it was rather common throughout the park.

Anyone else have experience with the Thousand Trails membership campground? Anywhere in Texas? Were they better or the same?
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
We just camped the Labor Day weekend at the Lake Texoma Preserve park in Gordonville, TX. One of the Thousand Trails membership parks. To say we were disappointed would be a huge understatement in that all the literature looks like these are beautifully landscaped and maintained parks. They obviously didn't take publicity photos at this one. The roads are the worst that we have come across since...well, forever. The 5 MPH speed limit signs are unnecessary as you cannot safely travel any faster than that and control your vehicle. And we ended up camping behind a "permanent" resident that had piles of crap, fishing traps, and an old refrigerator stacked behind their trailer, which is what we saw when we looked out our front door. Nice. They were not the exception, it was rather common throughout the park.

Anyone else have experience with the Thousand Trails membership campground? Anywhere in Texas? Were they better or the same?
Will find similar conditions at Forest Lake in Mocksville, NC and that is our home park for Thousand Trails. Haven't seen old refrigerators, but all the rest of the junk.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:

We had the same problem in Virginia on the Potomac. Pictures where great until we saw it first hand. Look like a junk yard. Also the sign in person was rude. You think that would have been my first clue. Then heard from a camper next to me that she was having a good day. It was an old 50 or 60's CG converted. I was afraid to plug into the electrical......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
We had the same problem in Virginia on the Potomac.
Is that a Thousand Trails park?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

Interesting. The membership deal with Thousand Trails is attractive to those looking for a long-term home in their RV. Nothing wrong with that, but it needs to be policed and kept up if you are going to advertise it as an oasis for the traveling RVers. Some of the sites had small storage buildings, which isn't too bad if they are in good repair. And I was leery of the electrical also, but I have a Progressive Ind. EMSPT50C that I plugged in before setting up and it was okay. I always check before I unhook from the TV or drop any equipment.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Is that a Thousand Trails park?
Yes it was called Colonial Beach, and it looked nothing like the advertisement. I have stayed at some that was nice but this was a dump.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Interesting. The membership deal with Thousand Trails is attractive to those looking for a long-term home in their RV. Nothing wrong with that, but it needs to be policed and kept up if you are going to advertise it as an oasis for the traveling RVers. Some of the sites had small storage buildings, which isn't too bad if they are in good repair. And I was leery of the electrical also, but I have a Progressive Ind. EMSPT50C that I plugged in before setting up and it was okay. I always check before I unhook from the TV or drop any equipment.
I have learned to do that, since my time at a County park. Both site next to me the polarity was right, but mine showed wrong and ems wouldn't turn on. Who knows how many campers used that before I informed them and they repaired it.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Of the 10 or 11 different TT parks we've stayed in from 06 to this year, they all seem to be going downhill. Other than TT Orlando, we would sell our lifetime membership pretty cheap. Orlando could be a beautiful park as it was in 06, but it is slowly falling down as far as the roads, lighting, water supply, etc. They keep spending money on the clubhouse, but let the rest of the park go.Since we joined in 06, we have noticed that all the TT parks are going downhill. Some faster than others. Peace River in Wauchula, FL is another on the downhill slide. No out buildings, but the roads, etc are pretty bad. TT Orlando in 06 was a beautiful park with over 800 sites. It has started it's downhill slide also, altho' they keep fixing the buildings, they do nothing about the lighting which is all but non-existent. The roads are going or have gone to pot and the water service is continuously blowing a line and being shut down with 'Boil Water' alerts just about weekly (at least the last 2 years). Supposedly, there have been improvements made this year in Orlando, so we'll see when we check in 01Dec. Check in is a mess also as it is in all TT parks we've used. We've stayed in 2 in OH, Hershey in PA, 2 in TX, 2 in FL, 1 in NC and Natchez Trace in TN.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Yes it was called Colonial Beach, and it looked nothing like the advertisement. I have stayed at some that was nice but this was a dump.
This one? Didn't know you were a member.
Harbor View RV & Camping Resort
15 Harbor View Circle
Colonial Beach VA 22443
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Well not down south but I have camped twice at Kenisee Lakes(a Thousand trails park) in Jefferson,Ohio as a weekender without a membership(but there were real pushy to buy one)It's not that bad but it needs help, no garbage or unsightly stuff laying around just real outdated could be a real nice place if someone were willing to spend some $$$ to update it. Keepaeyeonit
2019-41/2020-lots planned
2017-51/2018-55
2015-57/2016-52
keepaeyeonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepaeyeonit View Post
Well not down south but I have camped twice at Kenisee Lakes(a Thousand trails park) in Jefferson,Ohio as a weekender without a membership(but there were real pushy to buy one)It's not that bad but it needs help, no garbage or unsightly stuff laying around just real outdated could be a real nice place if someone were willing to spend some $$$ to update it. Keepaeyeonit
Don't know about the pressure to buy, but the parks seem to all be run down or getting there. Shame too!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
This one? Didn't know you were a member.
Harbor View RV & Camping Resort
15 Harbor View Circle
Colonial Beach VA 22443
I'm not a member or would I be one their. We had no problem called and they said they had space we arrived and paid and got our spot among people who stay or leave there campers there. But that is the one. A real dump IMO. First time I ever saw a Redwood, the guy even gave us a tour. he was next to us. Seemed to be a lot of weekenders. With decks and out buidings and some trailers that I would be afraid to step in.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I stayed a week as a non-member at the TT near Sunriver, Or just a few weeks ago. It was a pleasant stay and I plan to return. I did see some "permanent sites", but nothing like what has been described above.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I stayed a week as a non-member at the TT near Sunriver, Or just a few weeks ago. It was a pleasant stay and I plan to return. I did see some "permanent sites", but nothing like what has been described above.
From what I've learned from talking to other members, it seems that the west coast TT parks are nice and are continually being upgraded. Not the case in the Midwest and Southeast.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #15

Our nearest thousand trails spot is crappy too. Mostly full timers and when we drove through to check it out, we got the stink eye from most them. It is not what we expected from the Thousand Trails package.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
From what I've learned from talking to other members, it seems that the west coast TT parks are nice and are continually being upgraded. Not the case in the Midwest and Southeast.

The Rep mentioned that they are based out of Washington. Maybe they are paying more attention closer to "home".
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #17

I am a Thousand Trails member and most of camping that I do in a TT park is in Hershey PA.
The Hershey park I would say is well maintained. We have camped there a lot with our RV in the past, but in the last 4 years we have had an annul site.
The 5 mph speed limit is a pain, but there are a lot of kids running around and they do not watch wear they are going and then on top of that the roads are stone which generates a lot of dust. I have a red truck when I get there and when I leave after a week end my truck is white.
I just want to say that not all Thousand Trails are the same, it is the managers
on site that have the control over how it looks.
We also have camped at the TT in the Chesapeake Preserves in VA, the last time we were there it was nice but that was about 8 years ago.
We have been members of Thousand Trails for about 15 years.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #18

YEP. They are pretty much all like that.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #19

I've stayed several times at the TT park in Willis Texas. It's not that bad. They have been upgrading their facilities for the last couple of years. They do need to repave a lot of the roads. They do a nice job with holiday activities as we've been there for Halloween (which they put on a decent "haunted woods" that my kids really enjoyed), and they have a nice firework show on the fourth. It's not a place we go because of the "camping" draw, but if we want to get away on short notice, it's not bad and our family usually has a good time as there is a lot activities for us to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #20

One of the biggest problems has been the changing of corporate owners and how they see things, yes TT was a good thing years ago but as others have said going downhill. They do seem to put a little money into the popular parks, OC they were repairing some of the roads in Orland when I was there this summer, they were just starting the day I left.
Colonial beach is a Outdoor World Park not a TT park so not all members can go there, seems they like to sell the annual sites which is not what the system was originally set up for. As with anything you get what you put into it, we use the system the best we can but really wish things would improve.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote