Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #121

Spent 10 days at the Orlando park last summer, I prefer the loop all the way in the back it offers more shade. When are planning on going? Which Va parks as some are better then others, I like Chesapeake, friends stayed at Lynchburg last summer and had power issues. Va Landing is a nice park very few full hook up sites and almost at the end od the earth, not much real close, have not used Colonial Beach or Williamsburg.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #122

Orlando and Williamsburg are the ones I was looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #123
Always Learning

I can't imagine you liking Williamsburg based on your prior posts. It's an older smaller park and just OK. Served us well as a base for accessing Colonial Williamsburg and the surrounding area.

dblr is referring to section D at Orlando. Nice place but limited 50amp spots. I haven't found it too out of level but the paved pads are being reclaimed by nature. We enjoy it there. We spent almost 4 weeks there this summer with our 2-weeks out at Lake Magic.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #124

ependydad is right on Williamsburg have not heard the greatest things about it, I would try Chesapeake much nicer ( I think). Orlando in the summer you will have a great choice of sites in the winter good luck, all the snowbirds are there till at least late March. I also used The Oaks at Point South on our way down last summer once again a old park but good for a night or two if needed.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #125
Always Learning

I really need to remember TOPS when we run south this winter. That may make a good overnight stop. Any idea if they have overflow parking with electricity?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I really need to remember TOPS when we run south this winter. That may make a good overnight stop. Any idea if they have overflow parking with electricity?
No overflow lot but almost every site is a pull thru with full hookups and I could have stayed hooked up but seeing we were there for three nights we unloaded the Smart car off the truck, also getting around the park was not a problem for me at all.
If you do use it once you get off the exit get right in the right lane and turn right at the Waffle House then left at the T and just follow the road to the campground, we missed the turn at the Waffle House as it came up so quick.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #127
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
No overflow lot but almost every site is a pull thru with full hookups and I could have stayed hooked up but seeing we were there for three nights we unloaded the Smart car off the truck, also getting around the park was not a problem for me at all.
If you do use it once you get off the exit get right in the right lane and turn right at the Waffle House then left at the T and just follow the road to the campground, we missed the turn at the Waffle House as it came up so quick.

Thanks, dblr.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #128
Always Learning

At the end of the day, I AM really easy to please. As long as my kids have a good time and I find a place to park my camper, not much else stresses me. We are at Circle M now and were here last weekend- a place that historically doesn't get real high marks and I can honestly say, I've never had a fully bad experience. In fact, we've had some really sweet experiences with the staff being really nice to my daughter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415455940.581373.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	66026
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #129

We always enjoy Circle M also but we normally do not use that park during the prime season between Memorial Day & Labor Day. I think that helps us some.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At the end of the day, I AM really easy to please. As long as my kids have a good time and I find a place to park my camper, not much else stresses me. We are at Circle M now and were here last weekend- a place that historically doesn't get real high marks and I can honestly say, I've never had a fully bad experience. In fact, we've had some really sweet experiences with the staff being really nice to my daughter.

Attachment 66026

I was there in September outside of not having a full hookup I went down by the stream and it was more level there we had a good time. If it rains a lot the area by the stream gets muddy but way better than PA Dutch won't go there again, still thinking about whether or not I will renew TTrails next July

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #131
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We always enjoy Circle M also but we normally do not use that park during the prime season between Memorial Day & Labor Day. I think that helps us some.

I have come to realize the same is for us- we're usually here in April, May, and October, November. And, on the chance that we're here on a holiday weekend- we come in early (Tuesday or Wednesday) to get a preferred spot and accept that things will be a little nutty.

For me and the decision to become my own membership and stay a member, it came down to usage. I found the parks nice enough for what we wanted and actually have found some jewels of sites and experiences. Plus, we have the luxury of being able to stay a significant number of nights per year that really makes a financial difference for us. We spent 5 weeks in Florida this summer for $135 (plus our yearly dues but they're spread over many other nights).

Are they great RV parks? Not always but sometimes. Are they campgrounds? Generally not. But, I find that they rival most other RV parks that we stay at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415559965.669631.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	66107
Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #132
Mod free 5er

Well, we moved from Fawn Ridge to TTO this morning after being told that sites were very scarce, we got there at 8:30am and they had plenty of sites. True to form, they are still having water problems, got an email "Please be advised: The water in our park will be shut off tomorrow, December 2nd, from 7am for approximately 3 hours. This will be followed by a precautionary boil water notice. We advise guests with water tanks to fill them before the shut-off. We also advise all showering, laundry washing and drying, and other activities involving water use be completed before 7am. A notice will go out once the test results return, and we can declare the water safe to drink once more. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you,
-Thousand Trails Orlando Team"

This is 3 years in a row for this same crap. It happens at least once every week or 2. But, they did get the real important things accomplished, new pool furniture.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #133

My free membership expires in July 2015 they keep calling me from all over to renew, but most campgrounds near me are not great and to pay for another Zone closest am secondary zone for me is 5 hours away and I hate first cone dismay serve, I never seem to get a level full hookup site
Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #134

Hear that wicked1. We just renewed for 2nd yr. Think we paid just over 200 and got 2 zones and made them give us a Ready, Camp, Go card that gives us access to all of the encore campgrounds for I believe 20 bucks a night.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #135

Presently at Peace River FL ...just came from Clermont (Orlando).... both these park are better than I've found further north but still leave a lot to be desired.
Peace River has great staff and good recreational ameneties but infrastructure is out of date and insufficiennt. The location is great if you like peace and quiet yet still have access to a small town and a Walmart & WiinnDixie within 5 miles.
3 mens toilets and 4 showers for a 350 space park...only 1/2 the park has 50 amp and sewers....the other half has 30 amp and no sewer. Pump out truck will come and do you once a week for free. 10 bucks if you need more frequently. Flooding problems had several big rigs needed haul out of the mud with BIG tow trucks...this was after a normal rainfall. Power voltage is said to be spotty when the weather gets hot and the literature asks everyone to use propane for their water heaters to avoid "rolling brownouts". Nice group of folks anyway.
Orlando has none of the infrastructure issues but not as good activity and people wise ...IMO.
I could probably justify a renewal if I were a snowbird every year...but I am not and so probably will not.
Clermont is
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #136

Not renewing my membership but I am going to use the last 12 of my 20 days of camping. I was wondering if McGeorge's RV gives these memberships out, bc when I bought my first used trailer they gave me TT for one year for Free 30 Nights of camping, and there are 2 sites, one in PA and one in NJ I will never use again.

I like the adventure of going somewhere I have never been, and if I am paying for a Full Hookup, I want one, not like TT, first come first serve, that leads to bad camping unless you can get them to pump you out for free every other day.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #137

Def don't like the first come first served as well as the 30 day booking window. We re upped for 1 more yr but had them throw in all the encore parks. But same thing as far as 30 day booking. Will use the heck out of it but did book one trip to ny that I'm paying full price for at an encore park just so I have a good site after an 8 hr drive
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #138

I think the concept for TT was good at the start, but they were just too tempted to fill them up with full-timers in all of the better sites. And then they let maintenance get way behind as well at the one I visited. I get it that their bills don't have a season like camping does, but they knew that going in; or should have. The DW and I have run across other private RV Parks recently that I now refer to as "Trailer Parks" with all the negative connotations that evokes. Lots of old trailers and LOTS of junk as you drive into the park doesn't come across as "Recreational" camping to me, or relaxing for that matter. I would like to see all of the RV parks list the percentage of permanent campers in their facility on their advertising. Might help steer you away from some of them to find 75% are permanent residents.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
I think the concept for TT was good at the start, but they were just too tempted to fill them up with full-timers in all of the better sites. And then they let maintenance get way behind as well at the one I visited. I get it that their bills don't have a season like camping does, but they knew that going in; or should have. The DW and I have run across other private RV Parks recently that I now refer to as "Trailer Parks" with all the negative connotations that evokes. Lots of old trailers and LOTS of junk as you drive into the park doesn't come across as "Recreational" camping to me, or relaxing for that matter. I would like to see all of the RV parks list the percentage of permanent campers in their facility on their advertising. Might help steer you away from some of them to find 75% are permanent residents.
Oh I agree to that, one local park we go to because we get together with friends, it has decent things to do and pretty much same people every year, but it let's part time campers stay in their good full sites while they work locally for 3-6 months. What pains me is since they are guaranteed money for this timeframe, it makes all of us use non full sites and have to pay for sewer.

I think if they had some sort of guidelines for TT campgrounds it might improve their image, because every time I go to a show and they try to get me to upgrade I tell them I never will because of all the broken sites, and lack of Full Service sites when I get to where I am going. I would rather pay $40+ per night and be able to pick my site and make sure I get full service sites, then perhaps $18 per night for crappy sites using TT (based on $545 per yr divided by 30 nights = 18.20 per night) Amusingly their answer to this is pay a one time $800 upgrade to add another zone for the same $545 per year and 30 nights of camping so I can explore more sites? Really that is what they tell me, so hard not to tell them what they can do with their memberships but mine expires July 2015 and I will NOT be renewing.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #140

Great reasoning on their part..."think those sites are crappy? How about paying us for the opportunity to see more just like them?" Odd, they aren't telling you these will be better, just more to choose from. LOL! I'll just pass and like you said, pay $40 and pick my site with full hook-ups.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote