Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #21

THe sensors in the road pick up how many axles you are towing. They also take pictures of license plates to be sure the transponder matches. And you have to register all cars and trailers. I used mine while going out to Myrtle Beach SC. It worked in every state.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #22

passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
THe sensors in the road pick up how many axles you are towing. They also take pictures of license plates to be sure the transponder matches. And you have to register all cars and trailers. I used mine while going out to Myrtle Beach SC. It worked in every state.
are the passes transferable between vehicles? For example, can we use it with our auto and/or with our truck + 5th wheel?
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Thank you all for the tips and advice. It will certainly make things easier to figure out when I sit down and make the final plans.

Very much appreciated.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #24

The EZ Pass is transferrable but you need to state online which vehicles are going to be using it.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisewitte View Post
We live in the Chicago area. Most of the Illinois toll plazas have a cash option. The cash price is twice the electronic toll price. If you go through an electronic toll station without a transponder, you can write down the number of the toll station and pay the toll online within 30 days. The tollways in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York all use the same EZPASS or IPASS transponder.

Don't think they work. I've went through the I-Pass lanes (in the Land of Lincoln) with no pass many times. Never been rewarded in the mail once....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Don't think they work. I've went through the I-Pass lanes (in the Land of Lincoln) with no pass many times. Never been rewarded in the mail once....
Yes they do work! I have used my I-pass in most states that have toll roads out east. Where they do not work is out west such as Oklahoma and Colorado. Been on their toll roads and had to pay with cash on OK's and still waiting on a bill from CO, been two years.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #27
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayart View Post
are the passes transferable between vehicles? For example, can we use it with our auto and/or with our truck + 5th wheel?
Yes they are transferable. You enter your vehicle information and plate # online and then you're able to use the transponder in either vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezpass.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	129600  

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
RetiredRVer

Yep....Ohio ezPass works in any of your vehicles, as I'm sure do most other states transponders. I've used mine towing for 3 years now. So much easier then stopping, and cheaper by about 1/3 to 1/2 the regular tolls. EZPass does not work on any toll roads west of the Mississippi River. Some day soon, I'm sure there will be one system nationwide....it only makes sense.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #29

Get an I-Pass or EZ Pass. Will save you much money, let's you blast through toll booths usually without stopping. Yes they register your axles and charge accordingly. Yes they are very transferable. I have even lent mine to friends on occassion to help them out. Tollroad doesn't seem to care who pays them. And if you're going to Florida get the Sunpass. Same deal--saves time and money. I can't speak about out west. We'll be doing that this summer. Hopefully some day the interstates will be sharing I-Pass/EZ Pass/Sunpass. In my lifetime?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #30

I guess we have toll roads because we do not pay enough gas tax,,, or enough for our licence plates ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I guess we have toll roads because we do not pay enough gas tax,,, or enough for our licence plates ???
No, I do not believe that is the case! For most of the area the toll roads are in heavily populated areas, at least in IL. The road construction cost is astronomically expensive, so why force the entire state to support these roads to be built and maintained with the only benefit is to the local area users. So, the toll road at least in IL are funded only through the tolls of those that use them. Which I believe is fair you do not need to use the toll roads if you do not want to pay for the use.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
No, I do not believe that is the case! For most of the area the toll roads are in heavily populated areas, at least in IL. The road construction cost is astronomically expensive, so why force the entire state to support these roads to be built and maintained with the only benefit is to the local area users. So, the toll road at least in IL are funded only through the tolls of those that use them. Which I believe is fair you do not need to use the toll roads if you do not want to pay for the use.
In PA the turnpike toll revenue also goes towards non turnpike projects.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
This questions comes as the result of me stumbling across a similar question in another forum.

I live in Canada and will be driving back home to Alberta in the summer, crossing through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and South Dakota before re-surfacing through Montana.

I know there are toll roads in Illinois and possibly other states as I travel west but from what I can see there are no longer toll booths on the Illinois freeways that would enable me to pay a toll fee. I know there used to be many years ago because I've done the drive from Chicago to the Quad Cities and know there used to be toll booths I had to stop and pay at. What alternatives are there that would enable me to use the toll roads without setting off alarms and getting pulled over for not paying? I don't really want to rack up fines and equally I don't really want to use the back roads for the entire journey.

Thanks
Only one toll in Illinois on I 80. $5.10 for 4 axles without the IPASS and yes there is a toll booth. From the Middlebury, Indiana entrance to I 80 west to the Illinois state line the cost is $22.10 for 4 axles. The only time you get a discount with the EZ PASS is with 2 axles. No other tolls on I 80 west after Illinois.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
Only one toll in Illinois on I 80. $5.10 for 4 axles without the IPASS and yes there is a toll booth. From the Middlebury, Indiana entrance to I 80 west to the Illinois state line the cost is $22.10 for 4 axles. The only time you get a discount with the EZ PASS is with 2 axles. No other tolls on I 80 west after Illinois.
Many thanks for this. That makes life a little easier. Looks like I can skirt south of the I80 in Indiana between Elkhart and the Illinois state line and then join I80 west at Joliet until I reach the QC.

Much appreciated.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Many thanks for this. That makes life a little easier. Looks like I can skirt south of the I80 in Indiana between Elkhart and the Illinois state line and then join I80 west at Joliet until I reach the QC.

Much appreciated.
You may want to rethink that. By the time you deal with the traffic and stoplights on those highways and other roads to the south, you'll probably wish you just dropped the $22.10 if thats the total toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
In PA the turnpike toll revenue also goes towards non turnpike projects.
It also go's towards getting all your relatives and every friend you have had since 1st grade jobs they are unqualified for, that is if you happen to be in upper management or one of the Turnpike commissioners.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #36

We took a little trip to Kentucky last spring,,, the worst road we drove on was the Toll Road east of US131 in Indiana,,, it was also the only road we had to pay to drive on !!!
I have been told that the Indiana Toll Road no longer is owned by Indiana ??? That it is owned by a foreign Co. ???
Michigan should have made I94 a Toll Road,,, they could make Millions off the Canada truckers !!! And take better care of our Interstates !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You may want to rethink that. By the time you deal with the traffic and stoplights on those highways and other roads to the south, you'll probably wish you just dropped the $22.10 if thats the total toll.

Like I stated in post #8 of this thread you can take I90/I94 and not pay any tolls, until you exit at I80 on I294 and this is just one toll. I travel this way all of the time east even to Elkhart IN.