Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

Tornado alley in April?

I am contemplating a trip from Manitoba through North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and into Dallas TX in the first 2 weeks of April 2015. Can anyone from those states give some thoughts on driving in this area at that time of year? Do all the campgrounds have some type of tornado shelter and/or strategy should that kind of weather present? I've read up on what to do if you see a tornado, but am just looking for first-hand experiences from those who live there.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matwiyj View Post
I am contemplating a trip from Manitoba through North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and into Dallas TX in the first 2 weeks of April 2015. Can anyone from those states give some thoughts on driving in this area at that time of year? Do all the campgrounds have some type of tornado shelter and/or strategy should that kind of weather present? I've read up on what to do if you see a tornado, but am just looking for first-hand experiences from those who live there.

Thanks in advance!
I live in central Nebraska. April is great camping weather here. In the 15 years I've lived in my current town, I've sought shelter 4 times, and none have been bad enough to hurt my camper at all. Best advice is to use a smart phone or weather radio to stay up to date. But yes, must Campgrounds have storm shelter plans and many have reinforced concrete bath houses. Never had to be in one during a storm but rode out 70+mph winds from the broadside of the fiver last year and it wasn't that bad. Keeping my young kids occupied was the hardest part.

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #3

I've lived in Oklahoma all my life, 60 years. I've seen....maybe....a half dozen tornados, none as big or devastating like you see on the news. Most tornados are much smaller and many occur in open country where damage and injuries are very limited, if any at all. If a tornado forms while you are visiting here, more than likely it will be several miles away headed in a different direction.
April is just the start of storm season here in Oklahoma. We usually experience rain showers with occasional thunderstorms. While tornados can occur at anytime, May and June are the height of tornado season in Oklahoma.
If you tune in to the local weather stations while visiting here, they do a fantastic job of keeping people updated on the current weather. That and a little common sense will help keep you and your family safe.
Most campgrounds will have some type of plan in the event of bad weather. You just need to ask what that plan is when you check in.
Think of it this way. Many people live here and camp here. While experiencing a tornado first hand can be devastating.....if tornados were that big of a problem I don't think they would.
If you make it to eastern Oklahoma.....around Lake Eufaula.....give me a holler!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Team

On two or three occasions, we have sought shelter in previously mentioned reinforced bathhouses in CoE parks. Camp officials came by our site and recommended we take shelter. A few limbs were blown down in these instances. We've never seen a tornado while camping and only 2-3 from a distance in 67 years of humanhood. We live in the country between Dallas and the Okie line and had our first storm shelter built at the end of 2013 but we haven't needed to take shelter in it yet.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

As a 54 yr old okie, i cant help but grin, Yes tornados can be a horrible experience, but your chances of seeing one are much less likely than you wrecking your vehicle while traveling. April is wonderful here as spring emerges. Come and enjoy and dont look back. Most of us dont even have tornado shelters in our homes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #6

We are heading through the midwest this year. I am a native Californian, my wife is native Michigan. I am petrified of tornado's while in the RV, she just rolls her eyes. Same issue with earthquakes here. So seldom and surely no big worry to me. All what you are used to, and common sense must rule.