Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Touring yellowstone.

staying north of yellowstone in rv park...so will enter the park from north. Staying several days and will then head down to Jackson Hole... Need ideas of what to see in the park...
AustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

what do you want to see? Mountains, wildlife, volcanic activity?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

Seeing yellowstone..

Have two daughters with their families that include two great-grandsons...so looking at fun places to see...with three day visit.. while camped just north of Yellowstone.. All are good hikers so no problems seeing off road..Know they wanted to see the geyser, wild like, the actual yellowstone river and falls...lodge..were mentioned in books family read.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Do an "advanced search" and search the thread titles only for the word Yellowstone and you will more than enough to get an idea of what to see, do, and where to camp in the Yellowstone area.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

In my opinion here are some “must sees” in Yellowstone NP in no particular order.

Old Faithful and that entire geyser basin (Morning Glory Pool and Grand Geyser).
Midway Geyser Basin (Grand Prismatic Spring)
Hayden Valley (if you don’t see bison here you must be blind)
The boardwalk at Mammoth Hot Springs area (usually easy to see Elk and the historic Fort Yellowstone)
The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and both the Lower Falls and Upper Falls. (Hike to the brink of Lower Falls)
Tower Falls
Norris Geyser Basin
A hike to the top of Mount Washburn (if you’re a flatlander like me you may have to take a lot of breaks on the way up).
Roosevelt Arch at the North Entrance is a great photo op.

There are a lot more things to see and they’re every bit as beautiful but you will be hard pressed to do just the things I’ve listed in three days. Best time for animal viewing is early in the morning. Be prepared for heavy traffic during the day so take your time, relax, enjoy your surrondings.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

I suggest a one day loop down through Mammoth and the terraces all the way on down to old faithful taking in all the geo thermal sites along the way. Next day down the east side and the Yellowstone canyon and falls. There are some mud pots along that way. Nothing much past fishing bridge but there are nice views of the lake along that way.
West Thumb and Grant Village can be seen on the way south to Jackson.
Make sure to make a trip through Lamar valley. Might get lucky and see some wolves.
Carry bino's and cameras at all times.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
Have two daughters with their families that include two great-grandsons...so looking at fun places to see...with three day visit.. while camped just north of Yellowstone.. All are good hikers so no problems seeing off road..Know they wanted to see the geyser, wild like, the actual yellowstone river and falls...lodge..were mentioned in books family read.
First; what type of vehicle/RV are you going to use to enter the north entrance with? The reason I ask is some of the roads leading to the north entrance have a length restriction on them, if I remember correctly.

Now if you are going to hike anywhere in Yellowstone Park make sure that everyone has BEAR SPRAY with them. When I was there two years ago two different people where mauled by bears and one was killed in the week we were there.

Wild animals such as Bison will wonder on to the highways in Yellowstone so have your camera ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_343.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	100904  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

i would also recommend to eat a meal in the restaurant at the Old Faithful Lodge. It isn't often that you can see a 4 story Log cabin.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #9

I can remember planning our first trip to Yellowstone and being overwhelmed but on the plus side you can not go wrong, there is so much to see and it is all good.
I would enter the park from the north and stop at the park head quarter, talk to the information park ranger and he can give you maps of hikes you may like. then I would take the road that heads south and on the west side of park down to old faithful and then down and cross over to the east side road and bring it back north. Pack a lunch as there are many places to sit and eat. This is a long day. You will then have an idea what you may want to spend more time at.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #10

Thanks all for the information on Yellowstone...Very helpful...We will be coming in the north side from a campground we have registered with already....for late June... My truck is 2015 RAM 2500 6.4...My daughter has a van and think we can all fit in that for tours in park...bu will be pulling through to go south to Jackson Hole each pulling an RV Mine is largest, Elkridge 29 foot... Thanks again...Ann and Austin
Old 03-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

and by all means when you see the bison pull off the road . to many morons out there stop in the road backing up traffic for miles . to lazy to pull over only to do it all over again a mile down the road where there will be more bison hanging out and the traffic jam starts all over . well forget it Yellowstone is a traffic jam from the time you enter the park till you leave plan on trips taking twice as long as they would normal driving .

also the bison are very wild and will go after you if you get to close . see bunche of morons walking up to them like their cows . had a few people hurt last yr by the bison
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #12

Touring yellowstone.

Grand Prismatic Spring and the 'paint pots' were both very cool.

Whatever you do - Don't be crazy & go after wildlife for a close-up photo. We saw a guy who had a bison backed up against a bunch of bushes, probably 10 ft away and closing in on the poor animal. That didn't turn out well for the photographer!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Want to have an experience in Yellowstone you don’t hear RVers talking about much? Rent a guided fishing trip on Yellowstone Lake. While it’s not a cheap experience, you will in all probabilities catch some Lake Trout that you will have to keep. Not only that, some of the restaurants in Yellowstone will cook your catch and serve it to you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Want to have an experience in Yellowstone you don’t hear RVers talking about much? Rent a guided fishing trip on Yellowstone Lake. While it’s not a cheap experience, you will in all probabilities catch some Lake Trout that you will have to keep. Not only that, some of the restaurants in Yellowstone will cook your catch and serve it to you.
X2! Even if you don't like to fish (not sure theses people actually exist, but have heard rumors) take the boat tour of the lake. The chuck wagon ride/meal out of Roosevelt Lodge is "ok", but the kids had fun. A trip over the Beartooth into Red Lodge (have lunch and shop) and back is a great drive with beautiful scenery.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

anywhere in Yellowstone where you can get away from the crowds is amazing. (That's why we are going back this summer)

also, when you go to Grand Teton, make sure you take the ferry across Jenny lake and hike to Inspiration point. (Beyond is amazing too)

We saw this little guy on that hike and that's not even the reason i recommended this hike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2216.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	100986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	100987  
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
X2! Even if you don't like to fish (not sure theses people actually exist, but have heard rumors) take the boat tour of the lake. The chuck wagon ride/meal out of Roosevelt Lodge is "ok", but the kids had fun. A trip over the Beartooth into Red Lodge (have lunch and shop) and back is a great drive with beautiful scenery.
I am one of those guys1 I will take a steak anytime over fish. MY DW knows I will even take a fried egg sandwich over fish any day. The closes to a fish that I will eat are Shrimp.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I am one of those guys1 I will take a steak anytime over fish. MY DW knows I will even take a fried egg sandwich over fish any day. The closes to a fish that I will eat are Shrimp.
There is nothing wrong with a fried egg sandwich!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #18

If you have extra day go east and check out Cody Wyoming there's a campground between it and park
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote