Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Unplanned, Short Notice Trip Report w/pics

Last Thursday the National Weather Service posted a hard freeze warning for our area Friday night into Saturday morning. Yikes, we had dewinterized when we spent the month of March in Columbia, MO. Our choices were to winterize the trailer or take it to a campground and live in it for a couple of days. We opted for the latter.

Our plan was to stay close and get reservations at Lakeside 370 in St. Peters but when I called they were booked solid for the weekend. Joyceís cousin and his family had been asking us for weeks to spend the weekend with them at Onondaga Cave State Park so I booked three nights at the park online. I did luck out when making reservations and managed to snag the one and only pull-through site in the campground. I donít mind backing into sites but if I can get a pull-through Iím all over it.

For me, Onondaga Park has some serious limitations. Donít get me wrong, it boasts a beautiful campground with paved sites and each site has both water and 50amp electric hookup. It also has free but slow Wi-Fi service. Unfortunately there is no cell phone service available and no television signal. Also, to empty our holding tanks I would have to use the dump station. I hate line-ups at the dump station which is why I booked three nights. I knew on Monday I would be able to take as much time as I wanted at the dump station.

Check-in at the park is 3 PM and we arrived shortly after that time on Friday afternoon. After setting up I discovered the WiFi service at the campground was down. NUTS, we were going to be off the grid. No cell phone, no TV, and now no WiFi, I was hoping we wouldnít get the rain that was being predicted for Sunday and Monday. Hereís a pic of our campsite.

Saturday dawned clear and cold with a morning low temperature of 24 degrees. The sun warmed the air quickly and by 10 AM it had warmed into the low 50ís. We decided to go for a hike on the Blue Heron Trail. Last fall/winter the parks department had improved the Blue Heron Trail so that it was handicapped accessible. The half-mile concrete trail begins near the campground, runs along a small lake fed by Onondaga Spring, and ends at the visitorís center.

It was a beautiful hike along the lake and some trees and wildflowers were in bloom.

Even the turtles in the lake were out sunning themselves on logs.

Hereís a picture of the source of Onondaga Spring and off to the left where you see those horizontal bars is an old access to the Onondaga Cave. The bars over the entrance allow the bats to enter and leave the cave.

We had a great campfire Saturday night with my wifeís family. One of her cousins had recently traded in his Wildcat Sterling on a Montana so naturally we had to get the tour and oooh and aaaah everything. Heís already had it back to the dealer twice for repairs.

Sunday was rainy and cool all day and the park emptied out. We said goodbye to my wifeís cousins and spent the rest of the day inside reading and watching DVDís. My wife loves living in our Silverback. Our open floorplan was discontinued so I donít know how Iíll ever be able to buy another trailer.

Monday was another rainy day so we packed up early, hitched up in the rain, and drove to the dump station. We drove home without any break in the steady rain. Wouldnít you know it, just as we arrived at the storage lot where we keep our trailer it stopped raining and an hour later the sun was shining. It was sunny for the rest of the day.

We had a great time over the weekend and I hope we donít have to worry about anymore hard freezes.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Sounds like a nice weekend and away from all the hi tech stuff. That's what I like. Later RJd

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

Nice photos. I am going to guess that you used a camera.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Nice photos. I am going to guess that you used a camera.
Yes it was a camera, my Fuji Finepix S8200 with a 40x zoom. My LG smartphone takes great photos but it's limited in many situations.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #5

Great report! Thanks.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #6

Nice pictures, enjoyed the write up. I've never been to Onondaga but lived in Sullivan for 10+ years, so I have been by it. If you are ever in the Kansas City area, Smithville Lake is nice.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Very nice pictures, especially the Columbine. One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Nice pictures, enjoyed the write up. I've never been to Onondaga but lived in Sullivan for 10+ years, so I have been by it. If you are ever in the Kansas City area, Smithville Lake is nice.
Since you lived in the area for 10 years you might find this interesting. Meramec Caverns was temporarily closed March 10th when the EPA measured trichloroethylene vapors that were high enough to be a health concern. They believe the vapors come from an old manufacturing plant and the Sullivan landfill. The caverns hope to reopen sometime mid-summer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Very nice pictures, especially the Columbine. One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the ID on the wild Columbine. I had no idea what I was photographing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

I had not heard that. We moved away in 1996 back to St. Louis and now to Kansas City. Loved the area but careers called and off we went. Love the Caverns and hate to hear this.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote