Old 03-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #11
We camp at Wawa, Ontario every now and then and I guess like you say if you live around here then the bugs are not that much of an issue. I have no real bug problems. If a person wants to experience some real nasty bugs then go where we were all last summer and that is the Northwest Territories around the Great Slave Lake.

2008 GMC 2500 HD
34 Foot Flagstaff TT

NWT Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Camped every year for the last 30 years in the UP. Fell in love with the Porcupine Mountains SP so spend a lot of time there. Black flies are horrible in late spring and early summer so if going in June, be prepared. We have learned the hard way to wait until August in order to enjoy the outdoors. Take a hat and head-net if you plan on hiking or otherwise looking being outside in June if you're near rivers or streams as that is where the black flies breed. Good luck and enjoy; beautiful wilderness.

DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
UP Michigan Bugs

I recommend 3m Ultrathon. I have used it for years in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. 25% deet in a timed release spray or lotion, extremely effetive
JackVawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
We were at Tahquamenon Falls State Park last June, end of, and ended up leaving a day early because the Mosquitos were so bad. We stayed several other places in the UP with no problem. It had been a wet spring there.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
Remember June in the UP is not yet Summer !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #16
All I can say is Deet Deet Deet the stronger the better
2014 Rockwood 8289
2013 Toyota Tundra
HAMMDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Spent quite a few summers in the UP of Michigan and it is beautiful. Deet works good but.......these little flying creatures of the spring and early summer do not bother with me. But, boy do they LOVE my DW. Found a product that worked great for her. But get them early as they always sell out fast in the UP during the summer.
They're called ThermoCell. They can be found at WalMart, Lowes, Menards, etc.

Here's a link to Amazon that will tell you what they are.

Don't let the bugs keep you away from this area of the country. There is a LOT to do and see from Waterfalls to Hiking, fishing, kayaking/canoeing, National Lakeshore, Hiawatha National Forest campgrounds and great towns to explore.

They do work!
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
Western PA Happy Campers
I have camped/traveled in UP for the last several years. X2 on Thermocell. Those things work great. I highly recommend them.
2016 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Ed.
2014 Chevy Silverado LT w/ 5.3
Reese 12,000lb hitch w/ Dual Cam Sway Control
lciaramitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #19
My friends from the u.p. tell me that they only have two seasons, shoveling and swatting. So if I was you l would bring a shovel load of deet!
Don't worry about the mule, just load the Wagon!
2015 Grey Wolf 19RR (Wagon )
2014 F150 XLT ECO Boost max tow (mule)
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
The flying insects of summer in the UP can be non-existent and then the wind shifts and then it changes. Especially with the beautiful camping areas on Lakes Superior and Michigan. I've seen people pack up camp and drive long distances to buy a screen tent and then return. Fly swatters can be sold-out in The Porcupine Mountains if the wind shifts. Bring your bug dope of choice and screen tent if space permits and use them when needed. Any river/woods setting will have more mosquitoes. Use normal deep woods precautions for ticks like you would in any rough campsites. No fire ants, few snakes and no gators.
Any particular place? Always travel with full tank if you go , the south boundary road of the Porcupines Park was closed last fall due to wash out from flooding

updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote