Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #41
rip

The fuel pumps were off to the right before the barrier, plenty of roof clearance. I was distracted by the traffic entering and exiting that fuel area. I had just turned into the first stretch of driveway from a light at a busy intersection. There was more traffic entering from a drive to the left before the barrier.

Felt like driving into the proverbial valley of the shadow of death. From the light intersection, it looked clear, it jammed up as we had already commited to turn into the pre-entrance to Walmart, and the interior barrier around the corner was not apparent from the light.

My cousin, behind me, was likely encountering the same sudden traffic flow as we were moving from the light into the drive area.

My cousin is really attentive about height. The three RVs (two bumper pull and a 5er) traveling together bypassed neighborhoods and typical drivethru food stops where trees or overhangs are likely.

I'm learning now from your posts that this barrier thing may be more common near interstates to discourage big trucks. The business owners may not have thought thru the impact on their RV customers.

My cousin has filed with his insurance company. I believe he may have contacted Walmart as well but not expecting much there.

In hindsight, even if he had seen and stoped for the barrier in mid-turn. He would have been in trouble, unable to back up into that cross traffic mess in the entry driveway. BUT, at least his roof would be intact, we would have had to call the police to clear the area so he could have backed out.

Again, I intended this to be a heads-up, but maybe some good will come of it if it activates members to be pro-active with their big-lot businesses, like Walmart, to be RV friendly.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking