Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirides View Post
No, I get the investment part but we're not talking "some" fuel costs. When our van is less than half the cost to drive and you can get a condo for a full week for $1200.00 the cost margin becomes a factor. I think the rv experience will be fun though.
Yep sell the RV drive the Econ vehicle and stay in someone else's Well Used condo! Youroo!!
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirides View Post
No, I get the investment part but we're not talking "some" fuel costs. When our van is less than half the cost to drive and you can get a condo for a full week for $1200.00 the cost margin becomes a factor. I think the rv experience will be fun though.

Yup- sometimes it is cheaper to rent vs taking the camper. Other times, the location is more convenient than where RV parks are.

But, for me- it’s always more FUN to take the RV. I like having MY stuff with me... especially the BED.

http://learntorv.com/camping-vs-hote...-sesame-place/
Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yep sell the RV drive the Econ vehicle and stay in someone else's Well Used condo! Youroo!!
Of course that's not the point here. One does have to consider what makes most sense driving across the country (with three kids). If it was closer it would be a no brainer. Just weighing the options.
wirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #44

Be prepared for lots of traffic on I65, especially once you get south of Birmingham AL. That time of year is always bad with everyone going to the beach. If you have time, there is a campground right next to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL that would split up the drive a little more.
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #45

Speaking of traffic, be forewarned. Saturdays are Condo Change-Out days. During the Summer, traffic is extra bad on Saturday from mid morning, until about 7 at night. One set of people leaving the condos and another whole set arriving to take their place. On Holiday weekends, this can be horrendous! Just sit back and relax.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #46

Big Lagoon is a nice quiet park 10 minutes from the beach. Between Gulf Shores and Pensacola, but away from the crowds.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #47

Emerald Beach RV Park in Navarre has a private beach. We stopped for two nights and ended up staying a week.
https://www.emeraldbeachrvpark.com/
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by backon4 View Post
Big Lagoon is a nice quiet park 10 minutes from the beach. Between Gulf Shores and Pensacola, but away from the crowds.
We just stayed there in February on our way home from spending a month in Florida. Not too many long RV spaces, as most are for <30' trailers and motorhomes. And, while not right on the beach, there is access to a calm lagoon perfect for exploring in an inflatable kayak. Check it out HERE.

But Big Lagoon SP is the most convenient campground in the Pensacola area if you want to visit the incredible National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. I rank that museum right up there with the Smithsonian A&S Museum and the Pima A&S Museum for the size and quality of the collection and educational info. And, while you are on base, you can also visit a pre-Civil War fort and lighthouse. All together, they are definitely worth planning for a day-long visit!

Then, if you still want beach time, you can head through town and out to the Ft. Pickens campground at Gulf Islands National Seashore. See more details HERE.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
We just stayed there in February on our way home from spending a month in Florida. Not too many long RV spaces, as most are for <30' trailers and motorhomes. And, while not right on the beach, there is access to a calm lagoon perfect for exploring in an inflatable kayak. Check it out HERE.

But Big Lagoon SP is the most convenient campground in the Pensacola area if you want to visit the incredible National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station. I rank that museum right up there with the Smithsonian A&S Museum and the Pima A&S Museum for the size and quality of the collection and educational info. And, while you are on base, you can also visit a pre-Civil War fort and lighthouse. All together, they are definitely worth planning for a day-long visit!

Then, if you still want beach time, you can head through town and out to the Ft. Pickens campground at Gulf Islands National Seashore. See more details HERE.
If you happen to be there in the spring you can watch the Blue Angels practices, open to the public, or see them in the distance from the park.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #50

St. Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach is a nice place to stay.
Jimmie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #51

Space Coast FL -Does anyone have a favorite campsite wanted to watch space launch with my wife and maybe a little beach time. Thanks Ron
RFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #52
Jeff

Manatee Hammock in Titusville - right across the river from the cape. 20 minutes to the beach and everything else in Cocoa.
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFarley View Post
Space Coast FL -Does anyone have a favorite campsite wanted to watch space launch with my wife and maybe a little beach time. Thanks Ron
https://www.portcanaveral.com/recrea...ark-campground

Also a web site showing upcoming launches

https://spacecoastlaunches.com

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #54

Subscribed!!

The DW and I are planning a Gulf Coast trip in June of next year!! 25th Anniversary

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #55

Where on the Gulf Coast. We like Gulf Shores, Luxury RV Resort, however, if you want more "campground environment" Gulf State Park. Be sure to visit Pensacola, AL, and the Naval Base. Don't miss Florabama, Different
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #56

Don't know for sure, we'll have about 7 days to do our trip... we are undecided so far on exactly where, but it will be between Pensicola and Houston. Definitely will be staying a few days in NOLA.

I'm a Space nerd, so I would like to see Michoud and Stennis in NOLA, and possibly over to Houston on the way back home to go to Johnson Space Center. The DW wants to go to NOLA, to the beach, and eat seafood. That's about all we know for sure right now, LOL.

I would like to do Huntsville, Pensicola, NOLA, Houma, LA, then Houston and back home, but I don't think we could enjoy it in only 7 days.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #57

Huntsville would be a great place to visit, since you are a space nerd. Of course I'm kind of pro-Huntsville, I've lived in here since 1990 and there is sure a lot of space stuff here. But you are right, 7 days isn't enough time.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote