Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Wayne county Missouri

Anyone here from the Wayne county Missouri area?

sbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Not Wayne county but welcome from Cass county!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
I'm from Baton Rouge Louisiana and I'm looking at lessening a farm in Wayne county and was wondering what the deer population was like in that area. Or if any one could point me in the right direction with some possible land owners in the area
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Member since 2013
I'm not from Wayne County, but grew up next county north (Iron) and we still camp at Clearwater Lake near Piedmont every summer. I grew up deer hunting near Annapolis, and the population of deer was fairly sparse there back then. It's better all over Mo now than it was 30-40 years ago, although down slightly this year to an EHD epidemic in 2011-2012. Wayne county usually has a good deer harvest although I think it has a lot to do with the kind of land you hunt on. Like most Eastern Ozark counties, there are some big tracts of unbroken timber, sometimes thousands of acres or more. If the acorn crop is good, the deer don't have to travel as much and you don't see them. If you hunt near fields (mostly pasture, some crop), you'll see more deer, especially in years with fewer acorns. The average size is good, and you'll see some big bucks, but not as much as you would in more agricultural areas of the state. The black bear population is getting pretty good in that general area as well.
There's a really good publication called Missouri Game & Fish that has a yearly summary of all deer populations and harvests by county. I think it usually comes out in 2 parts in spring or early summer, but you might be able to find the 2013 back issues. Sorry, but I don't have mine still.
Hope that helps- send me an email if you want more info.
Mike-n-Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
That should thanks for your time and input