Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #21

I suspect that LA (lower Alabama) will warm up in a couple of weeks. Heck, if you're there for more than a few weeks you might have 3 seasons. Sometimes spring only lasts a couple of weeks it seems.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
pdoshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #22
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoshier View Post
I suspect that LA (lower Alabama) will warm up in a couple of weeks. Heck, if you're there for more than a few weeks you might have 3 seasons. Sometimes spring only lasts a couple of weeks it seems.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Our forecast calls for 75 degrees by Sunday!!
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #23

Bob.....you folks travel safe, and enjoy the "warmer" weather.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #24

Update

Unfortunately the weather guessers were correct this time and overnight we received a dusting of snow and the morning temperature was 10 degrees with a wind chill factor of -1. We delayed hitching up for our trip south by an hour hoping the temp would rise a bit, it didn’t. It was brutal hitching up the fifth wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3571 - Copy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	47142

We spent the first night on our way to Gulf Shores at the EZ Daze RV park in Southhaven, MS. After setting up in our site at EZ Daze, the space heater and furnace worked hard getting the inside of the trailer up to a livable temperature. Since the weather was so cold we decided to wait until our next stop at Lakeside RV park in Livingston, Louisiana to dewinterize the trailer.

The next morning with a temperature of 20 degrees, we hitched up and continued our trip south on I-55 to Lakeside RV Park in Livingston, LA. We arrived at the park at 2:30 PM with a temp of 70 degrees, perfect for setting up in our site. The weather at Lakeside was beautiful so the first thing we did was dewinterize the fifth wheel.

The Bayou FROG rally was currently underway at this park so we had a chance to say “hi” to FROGs we have met previously at Goshen and other FROG rallies we have attended. Everyone was having a great time. How can you not have a great time when Bob and Cindy are the hosts? We even crashed their rally a bit and forced Bob and Cindy to have some face time with us. We also had a great visit with Guy and Lilianne and they introduced us to Gator Pickles.

We spent two nights at this park and I’m glad we did, Lakeside is a 10. Keep in mind my 10 is for a commercial RV park, not a public use campground. The park has a beautiful 18 acre lake and many of the sites back up to it. The roads in the park were concrete as were the RV sites. Every site had a picnic table and most of those looked brand new. There was a swimming pool, playground, game room, and the bathrooms were spotless.

Lakeside RV Park

Name:	IMG_3574 - Copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	47143

Saturday morning we hitched up for the short 225 mile drive to our destination park in Gulf Shores--Island Retreat RV park. On I-10 just after crossing into Mississippi we encountered very slow moving traffic. My first thought was a traffic accident or road construction but traffic kept moving, just at a very slow, aggravating pace. This went on for miles. Finally, after 22 miles of this snail’s pace we caught up with the source of the slowdown, Mardi Gras floats. The floats were being pulled by pickup trucks at a speed just under 30 MPH. I can’t believe they were allowed to travel on an Interstate highway at that slow speed.

We arrived at Island Retreat RV park in Gulf Shores, AL around 2:00 PM and we had been assigned one of the pull through sites, I do like pull-thrus. Forum members RalphieAdie are here in Gulf Shores too so after getting situated in our site we called them and went to dinner at the Original Oyster House.

We spent the next couple of days with RalphieAdie exploring the area in and around Gulf Shores. We did make a point of eating at Lambert’s Café, Home of the Throwed Rolls. If you ever have a chance to eat at one of their restaurants, by all means do so. The food is excellent and yes, they toss the rolls to you.

We also took in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL with RalphieAdie and followed that with dinner at the FloraBama Beach Bar and Grill.

Pensalcola Naval Air Museum.

Name:	IMG_3614 - Copy.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	47144

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #25

Jeez, we’ve been here in Gulf Shores for a week and we finally had a perfect beach day yesterday, sunny and warm. The weather hasn’t been cooperating with us too much with a lot of cool, cloudy, and in some cases rainy days.

We tested out our brand new chairs that are perfect for the beach. FRF member RalphieAdie turned us onto these chair last year when we camped with them.

Naturally I wore my “I survived the Polar Vortex 2014” T-shirt.

There were quite a few people enjoying the beach yesterday. This is more like the type of weather we were expecting when we made reservations for Gulf Shores.

There were more kids and young folks playing in the ocean than I would have expected with a water temp of just 60 degrees. Brrrr, that’s too chilly for me to get in. We also spotted some dolphins swimming along the shoreline about 150 yards out.

We love owning an RV, it gives us the opportunity to visit so many parts of the USA and stay much longer than typical vacationers.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #26

We just love Gulf Shores and have stayed there on one occasion, looking forward to going back one day soon. The Bike Trail is really super and is paved all the way. There are several sites we would love to get in the next time down that way. Did enjoy the Naval Air Museum, sorry the Blue Angels were not in practice the day we were there. Usually they are and you can go out on the run way and watch:
kickster
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #27

Great pictures, glad to hear you are having a nice time, and it looks like nice weather.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #28
Incheon, S. Korea

Fantastic! Have fun!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #29

Ominous skies overhead this morning here in Gulf Shores. Heavy rain off and on but at least it's not snow or ice.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Did enjoy the Naval Air Museum, sorry the Blue Angels were not in practice the day we were there. Usually they are and you can go out on the run way and watch:
kickster
I lived in P'Cola for a while. Sleepin' late ain't an option when you live near/under their practice flights. Sometimes it sounded like they were barnstormin' my house!

It's been a while and I've forgotten the name of that 4 lane highway near the main gate, but it was *awesome* to see 'em flyin' at you so low when you were driving it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Did enjoy the Naval Air Museum, sorry the Blue Angels were not in practice the day we were there. Usually they are and you can go out on the run way and watch:
kickster
The Blue Angels have a practice scheduled at the end of this month that we planned to attend.

We did enjoy the Naval Air Museum. I thought this "car" was an interesting exhibit. It's complete with refueling probe. I'm beginning to think that Navy Vets might be a little "off-center."

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788