Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #21

Trip to Texas

I live in South Texas, specifically, San Antonio. Yes, come in the fall. October as the Temps are quite similar to where you are coming from. Lots to see, kids are in school and everything has had time to green up. My wife and I don't even start camping until late Sept. as a general rule. Lots to see and hike if you like that stuff.

Chuck and Chris
2002 Lincoln NAvigator
Forest River Classic T12DDST
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #22

I've lived all over texas, so glad to help if I can. Waco is far enough inland that hurricanes won't be a worry. Amarillo is further north, and higher elevation, so it gets colder there . They don't usually see ice or snow there before Thanksgiving (with exceptions of course.) Waco is usually ok until January or so. As recommended above, October is a good choice. It usually cools a bit in mine September. The spring is nice, March or April in waco, a month later in Amarillo. As stated above, lots of construction on I35 in Dallas and Fort Worth areas. Route around if you can.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Ain't that the truth. There are about 4 RV'ers in Port Aransas (on a barrier island) that are planning to stay in their RV's.
They will be floating in the gulf if they don't leave. Sounds like a lot of fun to ride out a hurricane, but it's not.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #24

June, July, August are too hot
March & April could be very windy
I agree with most of the other post. Late September thru early November should be great
kenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Nice! We're scheduled for Galveston for Thanksgiving. Right up against the beach.
Doug, I hope Galveston and its beaches are still there at Thanksgiving.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #26

This may be a bad year to go anywhere near Mid to Southern Texas or anywhere along the gulf with road washouts, damaged bridges and wiped out coastal areas. We travel to Port A every fall late October to December. Weather is usually nice with occasional hot days and occasional cold or rainy ones, but nice overall. This year will be another story. Rethinking whether to go at all now.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #27

We have reservations in the Lower Rio Grande Valley starting in Nov for 4 months. On that RV park facebook page this morning they are reporting no damage in the park at all with light winds and little rain. We intend to make day trips to South Padre Island, I guess that will be a wait and see situation on those trips.

It is now 9:30 Eastern time so it is 8:30 in TX yet the videos being shown on the morning news are all still clips that were shot in the dark. I wonder if that is because they can't get updates sent out at this point, if so things might be really bad in the areas where the storm hit hardest.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #28

When is Best Time to Travel to Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Ain't that the truth. There are about 4 RV'ers in Port Aransas (on a barrier island) that are planning to stay in their RV's.

Fall is a great time to visit Texas. North, South, East or West. It does get cold in Nov., Dec., and Jan. I cannot forget Central. Texas is big, really big. I usually take me two days to get out of it unless I am going to Mexico and that is a 10 minute drive.

Just saw pictures from Port Aransas. From the looks of the pictures I bet if those 4 survived they will think different next time !!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
This may be a bad year to go anywhere near Mid to Southern Texas or anywhere along the gulf with road washouts, damaged bridges and wiped out coastal areas. We travel to Port A every fall late October to December. Weather is usually nice with occasional hot days and occasional cold or rainy ones, but nice overall. This year will be another story. Rethinking whether to go at all now.
The OP is not going to South Texas.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #30

Traveled (Me & Cody) from MI to Yuma & MX in late Dec. 2015 - MI, Memphis, Dallas, Pecos, Yuma, Tecate, Rosarito MX - weather was a but chilly but doable - Was planning to do the same this year but after reading the other posts I may change timing to mid Nov. See Ya on the Trail…

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel